Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Florida could be next year’s LSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GoCocks3877, Jan 18, 2020.

1. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    If the results are the same, I'll take being next year's LSU. I don't think anyone can duplicate the year they had on offense but I believe this is as good of a chance we have had, since 2009.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    Who is the Gator version of OBJ? VH3?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  3. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Nobody likes a suck-up!! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Schedule seems to setup nicely as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    Well that is true the 2018 line went from very, very shaky in Mullen's first few games to outstanding in the last 4 of the year. So yes, I guess if we can win early and improve we could be in a position to be an elite team as the season goes along and we don't have to bust out of the gate that way.

6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I believe we would have beaten Oklahoma this year. But I don't think, without a running game, we could have beaten Ohio State, Clemson, or end of season LSU. We played just about a perfect offensive game at LSU -- a brilliant game on offense which should have gotten more notice than it did in our end of year ranking. Very few teams were better than us in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We really need to stay reasonably healthy up front - on both sides

Go Gators

8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This thread confused me. I thought I had gotten on the Tennessee board by mistake, and that volsheimers was spreading across the country.

What Burrow and LSU did this year was historic. Comparing us to them is nuts; they had one of the most impressive seasons in college football history. It’s not likely to be duplicated anytime soon, if ever. Let’s get to Atlanta first before start we start crowing.

Unreasonable expectations always lead to disappointment, followed by bitching about the coaches. And the people that bitch the loudest about our coaches are the same people that created the unrealistic expectations

In 2020, we will not duplicate what LSU just accomplished. But if you want to make a wager, send me a pm; I like easy money.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    The goal is SECC, not just the game. The title.

That’ll get us in the playoffs where we’d be playing with house money

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't want us to be LSU's next year's team. I want the Gators next year's team to be this year's LSU team.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    I just want UF to make the CFP. We don't have to be 2019 LSU, 2018 Clemson, or any previous winner. We do need to beat UGA. Go Gators!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As cheap as it might seem, losing to UGA might get us in the playoff as well. That result might send UGA to the sec title game to lose to, let’s say, Bama. Then the committee must consider what to do with a one loss Florida. Our resume probably won’t be filled with elite wins at that point, so we would almost certainly need some outside luck, but it’s definitely not impossible.

That said, I would much prefer to beat UGA. They have a thread on their board right now, where virtually every poster is predicting a UGA blowout next year. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    I have reservations re generally subpar safety play and the recurring breakdowns on 3rd and forever - so what else is new? Those areas, along with the OL/running game must improve substantially to crash the party for real. Trask should make normal progress as his game experience grows - and EJ will be waiting in the wings if Trask does experience problems/injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah facing 7 Top 10 teams and winning most of them by large margins (and still going 7-0) is impossible to reproduce.

16. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    I get where you're coming from. Our offense has been rising faster than LSU's as of late--minus this year , where they went from pretty good to unbelievable. Personally, going into the season, I wasn't worried about our offense . I was worried about the secondary. I still am. I have to see it to believe it. I like our team next year as a NC contender because of the facts more than the hype.We need to improve and be a wall on D. We need to cover tighter. We need to run the ball. Until I see it, I won't just hope and hype about it. Saying that, I see no reason why we couldn't have great improvement in those areas. Offensively, yesterday I heard Jefferson say on the radio that, as good as our receivers were this year, he expects next year's group to be better. Probably bc there won't be any minimal touches to a wider group here and there, but more touches to the same talented guys who will only get better bc of it.
    At the end, I think we should all stay humble . Urban negligently put a curse on this program when he said Florida "firmly had its foot on the neck of college football ". We can't make the same mistake. Humility is a virtue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
  17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    GoCocks has always had my admiration and respect. He deserves a spot as a celebratory GC alum and a backstage pass to the Championship, and stuff...

You're upstaging Cockyinseattle. As a matter of fact, where is that lad?

Emergency: Mods, close this thread before any players read it and get all complacent and narcissistic and drop their effort a notch or two...:eek:o_O:confused::rolleyes:

Go Gators...;)

18. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Wasn't sure if I should give you a "that's funny" or a "come on man". That is still... too soon.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    We're back to 3 cupcakes OOC (4 really). We have to beat Georgia next year. Which team can we most afford to lose to? We always have to lose one. It's the law. Probably Ole Miss on the road.

20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    If you have to lose an SEC game, it's always better to lose to a West team to avoid the head-to-head SEC East tiebreaker rules that effectively give you two losses. So, LSU or Ole Miss are the two least impactful SEC games to lose. Having said that, it's more likely that we would lose to LSU, which would effect national rankings more, and, would also be more painful to me personally, as well. Not sure I would like to lose to Kiffin, either, now that I think of it. So, let's just win 'em all...

• Like Like x 1