Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida charging inmates for their prison beds after they’re released

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Apr 24, 2024.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This has to be the dumbest, most punitive, counterproductive unconstitutional law I’ve ever heard of.
    Basically, if you get a five year sentence, get paroled after 2 years, the state can charge you fifty dollars a day for your whole sentence, and you even owe them $54750 for the three years you weren’t in jail. However many inmates cycled through that bed during that time all owe the money.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ged-for-prison-cells-long-after-incarceration

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Not easy being on the bottom in Florida, under a Ron Desantis governorship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    No problem. A few bank jobs will take care of that.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's right losers, there ain't no free lunch, even in the pokey. Pay up suckers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I haven't seen this for a while, but the probation office (Department of Corrections) used to try to collect their monthly cost of supervision (COS) fees for the entire term of probation when trying to get an offender's probation terminated early. As a general rule, if you satisfy the terms of your supervision and haven't had any violations, you can get the probation terminated at the half way point....a 5 year initial term could turn into 2.5 years of actual supervision. Prior to filing the motion, I always contact the probation officer for his/her position regarding early term and confirm that there have been no violations and all conditions were satisfied. Many times I got hit with the "your client still owes $XXXX in COS." Only when you asked, would they explain I was being quoted 5 years (for example) of COS rather that 2.5. Some PO's would even submit a written objection to termination on that basis. Thankfully, our judges didn't see it that way.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Sounds like a bureaucratic hellscape. Who thinks nonsense like that is a good idea? Wonder what % of fees are ever collected. I’m guessing it’s exceedingly low, and we know the “revenues” aren’t the point. This is using govt to harass people even after they’ve served their time. More proof that small govt conservatives simply don’t exist.

7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Was thinking about posting this in the Desantistan thread, but maybe its its own topic.

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Weird and completely coincidental how they would do this when you have to pay back everything you owe before you can vote again.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you missed an element of sarcasm in the post you are responding to.

I was mistaken, carry on.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Unfortuntely, I don’t think so. Check the post history.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Untouchable…

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont think its sarcasm based on the other posts I've seen that person make

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida has turned into a disgusting state. Republicans want to make sure they keep control of the state by making sure only morons want to live there and driving every intelligent and decent person out. Will this be counted as an unpaid penalty when it comes to restoring voters rights? I'm sure I know the answer ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  14. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you two are correct. Reading his posts was like a trip in bizzaro world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It sounds like you must have just got out.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. bigDgator

Apr 3, 2007
    So what if I did?

17. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    PSA: Don't forget to register.

775.13 Registration of convicted felons, exemptions; penalties.—
    (1) As used in this section, the term “convicted” means, with respect to a person’s felony offense, a determination of guilt which is the result of a trial or the entry of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.
    (2) Any person who has been convicted of a felony in any court of this state shall, within 48 hours after entering any county in this state, register with the sheriff of said county, be fingerprinted and photographed, and list the crime for which convicted, place of conviction, sentence imposed, if any, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. If the felony conviction is for an offense that was found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have been committed for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, the registrant shall identify himself or herself as such an offender. The Department of Law Enforcement, in consultation with appropriate local law enforcement agencies, may develop standardized practices for the inclusion of gang affiliation at the time of offender registration.
    (3) Any person who has been convicted of a crime in any federal court or in any court of a state other than Florida, or of any foreign state or country, which crime if committed in Florida would be a felony, shall forthwith within 48 hours after entering any county in this state register with the sheriff of said county in the same manner as provided for in subsection (2).
    (4) This section does not apply to an offender:
    (a) Who has had his or her civil rights restored;
    (b) Who has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted;
    (c) Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision;
    (d) Who is a parolee or probationer under the supervision of the United States Parole Commission if the commission knows of and consents to the presence of the offender in Florida or is a probationer under the supervision of any federal probation officer in the state or who has been lawfully discharged from such parole or probation;
    (e) Who is a sexual predator and has registered as required under s. 775.21;
    (f) Who is a sexual offender and has registered as required in s. 943.0435 or s. 944.607; or
    (g) Who is a career offender who has registered as required in s. 775.261 or s. 944.609.
    (5) The failure of any such convicted felon to comply with this section:
    (a) With regard to any felon not listed in paragraph (b), constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    (b) With regard to any felon who has been found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have committed any offense for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, constitutes a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (6) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any law of this state relating to registration of criminals where the penalties for registration, notification, or reporting obligations are in addition to, or in excess of, those imposed by this section.

18. bigDgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Who says I am a felon?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. bigDgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you really think this law will keep intelligent and decent people out of Florida?

• Winner Winner x 1