Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida Bridges

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, May 20, 2024.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    to be lit in red, white, and blue in Desi's defiant blow to pride month. Some bridges in Florida have previously been lit in rainbow colors in support of pride month.

I guess he will fly the stars and bars during black history month for his next act of owning da libs..how small and petty of a man he is.

Florida bridges to be lit in red, white and blue during pride month (heraldtribune.com)

Bridges across Florida, including the Sunshine Skyway and Ringling Causeway, will not gleam in rainbow colors this June in celebration of LGBTQ pride month at the behest of Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Plans are in place to adorn Florida bridges in red, white and blue lighting between May 27 and Sept. 2 as a part of the 2024 Florida Freedom Summer effort, which includes free visits to state parks on Memorial Day weekend and the lifting of sales tax on recreational items in July, according to a social media post by the Florida Department of Transportation.

The plan coincides with the start of pride month, when the Sunshine Skyway and the Ringling Bridge have in the past lit up in rainbow colors in celebration of the occasion. It also overlaps other public awareness efforts, including National Gun Violence Awareness Month, Juneteenth, World Fragile X Day, Women's Equality Day and National Recovery Month.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Lol! Y'all are ill...

Red white and blue...in America... is defiant?!?!?

Geeeezzzz....

Rainbows is holy! :p
    But our nation's colors... rebelious...

:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:

:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    What a weird thing to be upset about...

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    do you understand this only happened to stop the pride colors from being shown the two bridges? this is like trump making the navy hide the name of the USS McCain when he visited. small and petty

i have no issue with using our nations colors, but when it is done strictly to provide justification to eliminate the symbol of inclusion for pride month, it is small and petty. but own da libs is it, just couch it in patriotism

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    the governor of our state using his executive authority to eliminate a symbol of inclusion that he personally disagrees with doesn't bother you? again, small and petty nonsense that shouldn't emanate from people elected to high office, or even local office. but goooooooo team...

• Agree x 6
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

LOL. Imagine thinking the stars and bars and the American flag are even close to the same footing.

One took away freedom. One acknowledges freedom to all...including our LGBTQ citizens.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Red, White, and Blue represent the most inclusive flag on the globe.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    It is offensive to me that people choose to wave the Flag in order to disrespect its citizens. Conservatives and liberals are all American citizens. Conservatives have, for some reason, decided to weaponize patriotism and use it as a wedge against the ideals they either don't understand or refuse to find common ground on. It's really sad that I can't look at an American flag these days and be comforted by it's display.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ga8orman1

ga8orman1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There. There. Have a good cry then take a nap. I’m not a doctor but I think this will make you feel better.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Eliminate???

We're taking state bridges here, not private property.

....and we're not talking about symbol of inclusion--we're talking about a divisive symbol.

Most Christians consider homosexuality to be a sin. Most Florida residents are Christian.

Your talking about celebrating sin.

That's not 'inclusive ', that's a slap in the face to most of the ppl who pay for those damn things.

You want inclusive?

Exalt the cross.

A lot more Floridians would feel included than by the rainbow.

....but we'll settle for the nation's colors--seems like a damn fine middle ground we can ALL umite around.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    at one time it did, now patriotism is being used by some as a shield to justify exclusion, much like Germany did at one point in time. It is a slippery slope that has a bad ending.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    go read some more cult literature, you seem to be neck deep in it

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    yeah, let's forget about that whole separation of church and state and protections for the minority thingy..no worries
    two bridges, one month out of the year, bothered him so much he had to come out with this ruse cloaked in patriotism to shut it down because he couldn't just say no, had to cloak it behind the flag so simpletons would feel better about it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You're tyranny of the minority is 100x more divisive than the tolerance championed by the flag you've grown to despise and disdain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I would submit that the rainbow is a religious symbol--certainly more so, than the flag.

As for the cross--I wasn't actually advocating for it's display by the state. I was using it to make a point by analogy.

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I don't disdain the flag or the ideals it stands for. I disdain the use of patriotism as a reason to show disdain for the minority. Part of what has made america great is the protection of the minority but some seem to have lost sight of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    ga8orman1 ...another cultist for the ignore file..some people just bring nothing of any intellectual value to the conversation

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Great post and shot full of truth.
    Another plug for Tim Alberta’s book The Kingdom, The Power and The Glory that examines this theme of how the evengelical RW has adopted the idolatry of USA! USA! USA! and Republican politics and strayed afield of NT instructions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    As liberal as I am socially, I don't really have a problem with this. The period of time from Memorial Day through Independence Day and to Labor Day is uniquely American, gay or straight, black or white.

One of the biggest problems in the US today is that we are more and more loyal to relatable silos and not the entity as a whole. Not that this will solve those problems but if it serves as a remindee we all have the responsibility to make this experiment work as a whole, that's OK.

But it's intent is also probably a little retaliatory because deSantis is at heart a bitter, little man. No reason he couldn't have allowed a several day carve out for Pride weekend given what those 2 bridges normally do.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1