Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida baseball and Stricklin take notice

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by jdgator, Jun 11, 2022.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Gumby’s is a dive bar if that’s what you’re after. Me and the wife went there several times this year before a game, and during a rain delay a couple times.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 15gatorsean

15gatorsean VIP Member

Apr 23, 2021
    I feel another issue is scheduling 1/2 the time the softball and baseball games are played at the same times on the weekend

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gumby's is at most a shallow dive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    With the softball game starting 30 minutes to an hour ahead.

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Its a shit hole, lol. You said there were no bars, and a few others have said the same. There’s a nice one and a dump, both within walking distance. There’s also busses that run right in front of the stadium and will drop you off on university if that’s what you miss.

I haven’t had any issues parking either. We went to several of the highest attendance games and a few with softball on the same day. We parked in the main lot more often than not, and parked in the garage when the lot was full. And we usually are able to slip right out and be back on 75 within about 5 minutes of starting the car on the way out. I had way more issues parking at the old stadium.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My MIL is now 90 and needs to ride the shuttles and we always tip big.

Early on we parked near the back when nobody knew that you could get out easily from there.

Now we park in the way back east because most of the folks going out from the back are going west.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    That’s awesome story kudos to you for your school spirit. Agree with you one the giving up money thing. People have no idea.

8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I think most agree w you. Ok AD to work to change that atmosphere.

9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, location is definitely not great. Not close to anything walking wise.

Team hasn’t done so well either as 0-2 in regional play so far. Gotta do something to liven things up next year.

Walk up been tickets have been a problem for some with reception being an issue ( witnessed several times).

What types of true promotional nights do we have? Gotta do something occasionally.

10. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sully Bobble-heads!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I often wonder how long it will be until UF allows the three Ag fields around the baseball stadium to be developed and the growing fields given a better home. The temp structures across Hull Road would make a great spot for some food shops with drink terraces. They would be directly across the street from softball and baseball and could help expand the Microbiology parking. With the completion of the new Baseball Drive the fields just south of the baseball stadium are screaming for more parking and possibly some sort of restaurant that connects with the Archer entrance. That way the restaurant parking could be used both ways since the restaurant would be packed on game days and have plenty of parking out of season. The small field to the east of the stadium across Baseball Drive would be a great place for a bar/hangout with a terrace overlooking the outfield. That would be a great view and the hot spot to be during weather delays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    On second thought maybe the UAA should do like football and basketball powerhouse schools are doing and build student housing for the baseball players just south of the stadium. They've got the SW Rec Center just down the road they could access and the workout facilities and batting cages at the stadium. They could do something much bigger for baseball, softball, lacrosse, and soccer all right there next to Steinmetz Hall. You know, the "other sports" at UF.

13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Believe the ncaa rule limiting athlete only dorms is still in play....may hamstring that somewhat

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Gumby’s Pizza?
    What is the nice one walking distance from the baseball stadium?

15. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Would be nice to have a non-student condo in that area. I know a few folks who would be interested in that including myself. You put a condo there between the three parks plus a few restaurants and bar and that would be a win win scenario. I also think we will see track and field relocated out there someday.

• Like Like x 1
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree on all points....only question would be bar/dining viability beyond sporting event schedules. Would have to also draw students and residents in the vicinity. Should be workable given the limited options

17. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would think so with housing in that area along with motor scooters every where. It would also take pressure off from around f the Swamp by creating a new destination area. Just a thought. Don't know if any land is available around that area. However, I do know a few names to call to develop.

18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep.....the big issue. Space.

19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's time for IFAS to start a brewery, DCP students can design the whole strip!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2