Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida’s Top 20 teams in all sports (Dooley)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Jul 5, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s Top 20 teams in all sports
    During the last week, we have brought readers our list of the top 20 Gator football teams of all time. Today, we finish the series with the top 20 Gator teams in all sports. There are so many national champions, there were some difficult choices.

1. 2007 men’s basketball
    This team had to go through so much pressure just to get to the tournament, then blew through the postseason for a second straight title.

2. 1996 football
    The first national title for football was so special because of the opponent and the things that had to happen for the Gators to get there.

3. 1998 women’s soccer
    Only four years into the program, Becky Burleigh’s team did the impossible, beating North Carolina behind Danielle Fotopoulos, Abby Wambach and Heather Mitts.

4. 1992 women’s tennis
    Florida finally broke through to win it all with a dominant effort that included an undefeated season with the great Lisa Raymond, maybe the best college player of all time, leading the way.

5. 2006 men’s basketball
    These guys were considered to be a hopeful NCAA team. Instead, they smoked UCLA in the final to win it all for the first time in Florida history.

6. 2008 football
    Despite the home loss to Ole Miss, the Tim Tebow-led team seemed like it was playing the biggest game of the week in college football every week.

7. 2015 softball
    Florida had to punch its way through three SEC teams at the Women’s College World Series, then split with Michigan to capture a winner-takes-all game for its second straight national title.

8. 2017 baseball
    OK, this might not have been Kevin O’Sullivan’s best team. But it was his best pitching staff, and Florida won it all. That LSU was the opponent in the finals made it that much sweeter.

9. 1996 women’s tennis
    This was one of the most dominant teams in college tennis history winning the team title, the singles and the doubles. And going undefeated with a 5-2 win over Stanford in Tallahassee of all places.

10. 2013 gymnastics
    This started an incredible run for Florida gymnastics of three straight titles with Bridget Sloan winning the all-around title.

11. 1983 women’s swimming and diving
    Florida’s first national title with the great Tracy Caulkins leading the way. The Gators won an amazing 13 events and also included gold medalist Theresa Andrews.

12. Men’s track and field
    Somehow, despite being without their top sprinter and best decathlete, Florida scored just enough points to win its first outdoors national title after also winning indoors.

13. 1986 women’s golf
    This was a dominant team that won 10 team titles during the season, including the NCAAs by eight strokes over Miami.

14. 2014 softball
    After a lot of heartache in Oklahoma City, Florida beat Alabama in two straight to claim its first title behind MOP Hannah Rogers.

15. 2006 football
    It was close win after close win and one loss in Auburn before Florida unleashed everything on Ohio State in the national title game.

16. 2019 men’s indoor track

Florida's Top 20 teams in all sports

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I think the 1990 football season was the most important one for the program. That was the one that established the base for the following years. I believe it is probably one of SOSs most memorable.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People forget that was the fall we had the Rolling murders. For those who were there, it’s pretty hard to overstate what that great first season meant to Gainesville.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Gymnastics had three in a row. Pretty outstanding right there. Yeah, that Baseball title was insane. Beating Stanford in Tennis was huge. 1996 Football was sick. Actually, we had great teams, great players for years but Spurrier managed to put it all together and the media presence at the games was insane. Then Tebow. Back to back BB titles. Girls softball. Donovan, Meyer...

We are so very fortunate...

Pray for a vaccine. Pray for peace, healing and good health. And for Gods sake can we please have some footsball?:eek::rolleyes::D

Go Gators.;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    May not be a popular opinion, but it's impossible to ignore that Foley built one helluva dominant and diverse athletic department... UF as a whole has owned the SEC.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    excellent post JF was an outstanding AD, grew up in the UAA and rose to the top for a reason, he knew his stuff, not a personality guy but hard headed and very good at his job, lots disparage him but you can not argue with his results up and down the line

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    I honestly think the 84’-85’ Gators are actually the team that established the idea that Florida could be an SEC and National Championship caliber program. That’s obviously not an intended slight to SOS and all that he and those teams from the 90’s accomplished. But, it was the 1984 Gators that set the expectations for the program moving forward. No Gator fans were satisfied with just a competitive team, winning record or victory over UGA, etc. after them.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The 84 team was the bomb, I remember sitting in the stadium when the Gator Plane circled on the way to the airport, we went nuts when the team came back to celebrate :) good times ahead!

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I met him twice. Bought him a beer in the early-mid 90s at a pizza place on Tower road and he showed up a tail gate after the at Arkansas game (40-7?) I think in 97. He knew some people I knew. I thought he was fine both times I met him and a nice guy and enjoyed his beer (always a plus).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I know it is Women's Tennis, but the title where we beat Stanford in Stanford (2012?) was one of the best sporting events I have ever watched. I lived in Ft Lauderdale and that was the Heat title run years. I was flipping between that and the Heat playoffs then found myself watching only the Gator Tennis. Stanford had not lost on their home court in like 100 years and it was for a National Championship. And the girls were pretty easy to watch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    You know, the 83 team should be included with the 84-85 teams.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It was 2011, I think Stanford’s home win streak was 199 matches or so. First team to 4 and we were down 3-1, came down to Lauren Embree’s match which went to a tiebreak in the final set (after Lauren has been down 0-4 in the third), and even the tie break went extras, Embree won it 8-6. One of the longest non big three sport threads ever here.

UF women’s tennis wins national championship | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    most likely Napolatano's, could run into SOS there sometimes back in the day...

14. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    Yes. Could not remember the name. Lived in Chicago at the time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Could run into him there up until they closed their dining room and went to the catering only deal.

Fyi, they have their dining room back open now. Guessing this covid thing has messed up their catering, so they've opened back up. No telling how long they'll keep it going though and I'm not sure if they're offering a full menu.

• Like Like x 1
  16. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    A really good team, certainly. If Peace was just a little bit more proficient as a passer, that team could have potentially gone unbeaten that year.

17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I gave them a pass for losing at Auburn. There were a lot of calls that went against them like most of the time we play at Auburn. Especially the PF calls. It didn't matter whether its the UF's offense or defense was out there.