Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida’s bowl possibilities. Da’ latest.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Dec 1, 2019.

1. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    If ALL of those things happen, we are still ranked behind OSU, LSU, and Oklahoma for 100% certainty. We will also be ranked behind a 1-loss Clemson team that made it to their conference title game where we have two losses and did not make our conference title game AND we will be ranked behind a Georgia team that has the same two losses as we do, but made it to the conference title game and just so happened to beat us head-to-head.

The best case scenario for this team is to let Georgia have the Sugar Bowl. We go to the Orange Bowl in front of a ton of state recruits in a big time environment and lay the wood to Virginia and finish the year in the top 5 and build from that.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    And then, a few years later, the narrative will be “we should go to an 8 team playoff... one more exciting round, more meaningful games, it’s not fair to teams 7/8 that they’re excluded, blah blah blah”. And on and on until the NFL-ization of CFB is complete.

The whole season is meaningful. The whole season is an opportunity for upsets. The whole season is an imperfect playoff. The imperfection allows for controversy- controversy that makes CFB the best, most passionate sport on the planet. People still debate national titles and games from a decade ago. Nobody cares about what happened in the NFL in 1994. If Oregon wants a shot at a title, don’t lose to Auburn and Arizona State. If Bama wants a shot, don’t lose to Auburn and LSU. If we want a shot, don’t lose to LSU and UGA. There’s your playoff.

Transfer portal free agency, playoffs, paying players, basketball-on-grass officiating, sitting out bowl games... it’s sad watching the slow erosion of everything that made CFB so special. I’m sure I’ll get lots of “come on mans” and “get off my lawns”, though.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Disagree. If lsu beats uga soundly, why would uga be ranked above us when they are only a few spots above us now and with a worse loss than we have?

Clemson has played exactly nobody. If they lose to a barely ranked Virginia they are falling like bama.

We have the toughest schedule of any of the top 10.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure where my original reply went. But... if LSU beats Georgia soundly I think they will be ranked below us. They're only a couple of spots ahead of his now. They will have two losses, yes they will have beaten us, but they will have a bad loss to South Carolina. We have the toughest strength of schedule of the top 10.

Clemson has played exactly no one. if they lose to a barely ranked Virginia they're going to fall like bama.

so, while I certainly agree it's extraordinarily unlikely that those things will happen, the only way we get in is if it happens that way. In all honesty it was more of a tongue in cheek post than anything else.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Im a fan of connecting the conf championship games to part of the playoffs. Then the 5 winners plus 1 at large (top 2 teams get byes) into the final 6. The at large could be a conf champ game loser.

It would only add 1 more game to the overall schedule yet would greatly expand the playoff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    UF played three CFP ranked teams this year and no other team with more than 7 wins. After today, both LSU and UGA will have played 4 ranked teams. Wisconsin will be playing their 5th such game today. The idea UF had the toughest schedule among top 10 teams doesn't hold much water.

I can see Clemson dropping a lot if UVA pulls the upset, but that's not happening. No way UGA falls back below us even after a big loss today either, they'll have the better record, better wins, and H2H win.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    I dunno. It’s hard to judge how good we really are. We were running tough, contrary to the score with the #1 team in the nation to the 4th quarter. The score doesn’t tell the story of that game.

24-17 against UGA doesn’t either. What a different season if we had pulled off either one if those and it was possible. Wait until we get players designed around the system.

CDM is as vaunted as he is, underrated. We had no business being as good as we have been this year. He might be in the top 3 HCs in the nation and maybe even higher s

We’re very lucky but we have re-paid our dues over the last decade and we are about to run the football world for the next decade.

Alex Smith (recruit and developed Alex Smith to the #1 pick overall and he also recruited and partially developed Brian Johnson who led Utah to a undefeated season one more time), Tim Tebow (OC UF), Cam Newton (let us not forget most of Newton’s college career was under CDM, Dak Prescott MSU), and currently (Kyle Trask formally our #2 guy UF) who replaced a developing former ness in Franks.

3 Heisman winners and 1 who was a 1st runner up and should have won in Prescott. That’s pretty damn impressive when you say it out loud. That’s his career and he’s our head coach.

Sorry for the partially off topic post but holy crap!

And to make this even more all over the place, do we have a stake in the Baylor/Oklahoma game? And if so, what is it. I’m just lost at this point. I feel like we are pretty much locked in to either Orange or Sugar right?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    So if the Gators made the SEC Championship after beating Georgia and then lost to LSU, you would be ok with Georgia who did not play in the conference championship being ranked ahead of us even though we beat them in a neutral location?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    How does UF vs ND sound?

I just found an Orange Bowl loophole.....

this is what we know.
    BUT.......
    UVA 9-4
    ND 10-2

Well, UVA will be unranked after the ACCCG. ND will be the only team with ACC ties that is ranked and not in the CFP.

2019-2020 College Football Bowl Ties, Affiliations For Each Conference

NEVERMIND:(

see next post:emoji_point_down::emoji_point_down::emoji_point_down:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  10. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The heck with ND. Give me a team I know we can beat like UVA.

I doubt we beat ND with no running game.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I don't blame you, but I think we just have to accept UF is playing UVA in the OB. And like others, I'm not bothered by an opponent we're very likely to beat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seriously? Yes, if uga gets waxed by LSU. Do you not pay attention to how college football polls work??

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    This is a great post.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Got bored.

So you’re saying there’s a chance.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Head to head never guarantees a higher ranking. See Auburn and Alabama. Two very bad losses should not allow them to be ahead of Florida or Alabama.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think our UGa loss is going to cost us. Losing to a middling team never looks good to the selectors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. sportsdownsouth

sportsdownsouth Freshman

Apr 12, 2017
    Florida
    Personally orange bowl I think is better for recruiting
    Here me out:
    The Miami has a lot of talent, use to coach HS football down there in South Florida. If Florida could get an Orange Bowl birth and have an opportunity to be visible down there as “the” school for about a week I think it could greatly help with recruiting. Is the sugar bowl nice; sure but I personally feel the Orange Bowl has even greater benefits right now.
    Also, for those saying Virginia is an easy win, they have a great coach and some talent. I’d rather play a team from the ACC anyways. I think it would be a great game and atmosphere for gator nation!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Imo it’s 50/50 sugar and orange. Baylor or UVA