Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida’s bowl possibilities. Da’ latest.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thekentuckygator, Dec 1, 2019.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Well this is one idiot’s take.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe so, but he's rarely wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JaxGator75

JaxGator75 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    New CPF rankings will be out Tuesday night. We beat Auburn who beat Bama. Penn State lost to Minnesota who just got rocked by Wisconsin. Georgia and LSU won. Our wins/losses are looking better than theirs after this weekend. Might move us ahead of them.

4. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Right. He assumes Utah stays in front of UF after losing to Oregon. I don't see it. They'd have 0 quality wins and two losses against a poor schedule.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Utah wouldn’t stay ahead of us with two losses.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    Assumes depending on the score. REMEMBER: the CFP actually awards conference championships losers more so than those that weren't good enough to even play in it.

7. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't put money on it. It's possible they reward our strong finish against patsies, but it all depends on this game. If Utah gets blown out, then we have a case but if it's a close game, I wouldn't bet on us jumping ahead of them.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  8. dontpanic

dontpanic VIP Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Temple Terrace
    You Gotta be Kiddin me: A Better Schedule and High Quality Wins:
    They've played
    Idaho, Buffalo, Pitt (W 17-10), Maryland, Purdue, Iowa (W 27-12), Michigan (W 28-21), Mich St (W 28-7), Minn (L 26-31), Indiana (W 34-27), OSU (L 17-28), Rutgers (W 27-6)

I realize that Big 10 teams are severely over rated, like Notre Dame, but saying that's better than the weakest SEC schedule is absurd.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    He’s banking on Wisconsin getting the Rose with 3 losses (unless he thinks they’re beating OSU). I don’t see that happening this year.

10. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you can bet they'll be above us. They've given no respect to any 2 loss team. We are clearly the best 2 loss team. But I think the fact that the game ended so close will put them over us. Despite the obvious face that we beat the same team.

11. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008

not so rarely

12. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Facing a Wisconsin team in the Citrus would be more competitive than facing an unranked 4-loss Virginia in the OB.
    The Orange is obviously the more prestigious bowl, but what a snooze-fest game vs unranked 4-loss Virginia.
    Going to the OB would lock us in with 11 wins, though.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    The CFP committee will not rank teams with no quality wins over us (Alabama). Penn State’s resume took a beating this week with a unimpressive win over Rutgers (13-6 in 4th quarter), Michigan and Minnesota both getting destroyed, and Indiana nearly losing to Purdue. Wisconsin might jump us but the third loss to Ohio State will put them behind us again. Winner of Oklahoma-Baylor will be in Sugar or CFP; loser will be below us. Winner of Utah-Oregon will be ahead of us and go to Rose or CFP, loser will be below. I am certain we are heading to the Orange Bowl to play Virginia unless Georgia pulls an upset and we get the Sugar. I think it was good of Mullen to lobby for the team after the FSU game. Every little bit helps and we were solidly ranked 7th between Oklahoma and Baylor. The CFP doesn’t have to follow the polls but I guarantee you they pay attention to it.

14. g8rnc

g8rnc All American

May 13, 2015
    I don’t care what bowl game it puts us in, I’m not rooting for UGa to win a SEC Championship.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Never will I root for Jawja to win....EVER.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
  16. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    Hate to tell you, but the rest of the country thinks the same of us. There are as many ranked Big 10 teams as there are SEC. We have been on top for so long, everyone in the country is looking for any sliver of a way to exclude us from the CFP and Bama rewarded them by losing. After this weekend, there will only be 1 SEC team in the CFP. 1 from the Big 10, 1 from the ACC and then 1 from either the Big 12 or Pac 12. No 2 SEC teams; zero chance Georgia is the 4th team if Utah wins or they lose and Oklahoma wins.

This is from a Big 10 fan (a good friend who has been for the SEC since Bear Bryant):

Penn St played 4 ranked teams, going 2-2. Florida played 3 ranked teams, going 1-2. One of Penn St's wins against a ranked team was on the road. Their 2 losses were good road losses (Penn St beat the spread in both losses), where ours weren't. LSU looks like a quality loss but we lost by 14 (LSU won the point spread) and a late score against Georgia prevented a 17 point loss - at a neutral site and we still didn't beat the spread. Our only good win was against Auburn. We had a couple of quality wins against Kentucky and Tennessee, both 7-5, and that's it. Miami? 6-6. FSU? 6-6. Vandy? 3-9. Mizzou? 6-6. Zero wins against any team with a winning record other than Auburn, Kentucky and Tennessee. Worse, the last win against a team with a winning record was Auburn, at home, a long, long time ago. The last time we played a team with a winning record was the Georgia game, almost 7 weeks ago.

Penn St however played 7 teams with a winning record. I'm not including any FCS teams in the discussion, but a major knock against us is playing 2 FCS teams instead of the one Penn St played. Both teams' opponents posted similar records (both averaged 7-5). So yes, Penn St had a better schedule and more quality wins than we did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Never a snooze-fest for me watching the Gators play, and personally, id like to go into this game as a significant favorite and get that 11th win while whipping up on an ACC conference runner-up in front of all those local recruits being pursued by the home town ACC team, Miami.

Big bowl pay-out, a probable 11th win, and great recruiting exposure.

It's a win-win for us imo.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    Is this Heather Dinich’s anonymous account?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The NY6 bowls would be better served if there were NO tie-ins with conferences, and they should add the highest ranked teams to the best bowls in order of best bowls available, matched with the best teams that are not in the playoffs.

Starting with the Sugar bowl getting the first pick of the best two teams that are not in the playoffs.

If there are two teams in the same conference that are ranked #5 and #6 then they could get to the next best team that is not in the same conference to play the number #5 team and so on...

This is the best, most equitable way to do these NY6 bowl games.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I get it...

But it makes me feel dirty...

Never root for UGA... unless maybe if they're playing the SOW...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1