Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: Nos. 1, 2, 3 , 4 ,6,7,8, 9 & 10 (Dooley)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 21, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 10
    Pat Dooley Gvl Sun
    The decade was a wild one, interesting to be sure with so many ups and downs and four different head coaches for the Florida football team. We start the countdown of the 10 best wins of the decade from 2010-19:

No. 10
    2018:
    Florida 41, FSU 14.
    Where: Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee.
    Rankings: Florida 10th, FSU unranked.

The set-up: Florida went into the game having lost five straight games against the Seminoles and seven of the last eight so it was crucial for the Gators to end that streak. FSU, under first-year coach Willie Taggart, needed a win to keep its 36-year bowl streak alive.

What happened: Florida got a 74-yard run from Lamical Perine in the first half and then blew the game open in the second half. Feleipe Franks threw for three touchdowns and the Gators had almost perfect balance with 282 yards rushing and 254 yards passing. FSU, on the other hand, threw two interceptions, had 10 penalties and allowed five sacks.

Florida's 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 10

• Like Like x 2
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    “It was really tough because of what was at stake. Nobody in that locker room wanted to be part of that team that breaks the bowl streak.” — Willie Taggart.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. dkgator

dkgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    FIFY

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    That FSU team had to be THE poorest coached major college team I've ever seen.
    They had talent- Jimbo had left a full cupboard. But they could not get out of their own way.
    Even the ACC refs hated them. I never thought I'd see the day when it felt like ACC refs were biased against FSU, but they were that day. (Slight.)

Then there was the FSU guy lining up backward, our own CGJ pointing out to the FSU bench that they were missing a guy in their formation, and other deliciousness.

Oh how I wish they had kept Willie...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 9
    No. 9
    2017:
    Florida 26, Tennessee 20.
    Where: Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.
    Rankings: Florida was No. 24, Tennessee No. 23.
    The set-up: The year before, Tennessee had broken an 11-game win streak by Florida and hadn’t won in The Swamp since 2003. Florida was not in the best place after getting hammered by Michigan in the opener and having the second game of the season canceled by Hurricane Irma.

What happened: This game was almost like a sketch by Bill Hader’s “Stefon” on SNL. It had everything — Malik Davis fumbling away a TD at the goal line, three Tennessee missed field goals, John Kelly’s penalty for doing the chomp after a score, bad clock management by Florida. It was hardly a work of art. But the finish was spectacular with Feleipe Franks avoiding a rush with a scramble to his right and heaving the ball into the waiting arms of Tyrie Cleveland behind the defense as time expired to win the game and start one of the greatest dog piles ever.
    Telling stat: Cleveland had more catches against Tennessee in this game (five) than he had in any other game of his career. In four years, he had 11 catches for 215 yards against the Vols.

Quote sheet
    Florida's 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 9

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 8
    No. 8
    2010:
    Florida 34, Georgia 31 (OT).
    Where: Everbank Field, Jacksonville.
    Rankings: Neither team was ranked.
    The set-up: Florida came into the game with three straight losses in what would turn out to be Urban Meyer’s final season as Florida’s coach. Georgia had a four-game losing streak early in the season but came in with three straight SEC wins. Both teams needed a win to keep their SEC East hopes alive.

What happened: The Gators jumped out to a 21-7 lead at the half, but Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray rallied the Bulldogs with a pair of TD passes. The game went into overtime for the first time in series history. Georgia got the ball first, but a Murray pass was deflected by Janoris Jenkins and picked off by Will Hill. Hill raced 89 yards down the left sideline, but stepped out of bounds at the four. Florida then got the ball at the 25 and gained six yards on three plays before Chas Henry, a converted punter who had missed a pair of field goals the week before, nailed a 37-yarder to win the game.

Telling stat: Tight end Trey Burton was a versatile player for the Gators and it showed in this game. He led Florida with 110 rushing yards, 51 of them coming on a touchdown run. He also completed a pair of passes and caught five passes for 35 yards.

Quote sheet
    •“Why was it so important? Because we got our brains kicked in the last three weeks and we’ve got to get the ship righted. We needed that. My family needed that.” -- Urban Meyer.
    •“I wish I could have that throw back. Since I can’t, I have to learn from it.” -- Aaron Murray.
    •“I almost burst into tears after the game. It felt great to beat Georgia.” -- UF linebacker A.J. Jones.
    Florida's 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 8

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 7
    2015: Florida 28, Tennessee 27.
    Rankings: Even though Florida was 3-0, neither team was ranked.
    The set-up: The Gators were off to a solid start under new coach Jim McElwain and were coming off a 14-9 win at Kentucky. Tennessee had suffered a debilitating loss to Oklahoma in the second game of the season, blowing a double-digit lead and falling in overtime.

What happened: Tennessee dominated for much of the game, taking a 20-7 lead and then getting a late touchdown to go up 27-14. Interestingly, Butch Jones chose not to go for two after the late touchdown with 10 minutes to play. Florida drove to a score on a 4-yard pass to Brandon Powell and stopped Josh Dobbs on a quarterback run to get the ball back. It all came down to fourth-and-14 play. Will Grier dropped back and found Antonio Callaway on a curl to get the first down, but Callaway turned to his left and went streaking down the sideline for a 63-yard touchdown as The Swamp went crazy with 1:26 to play. Tennessee drove the ball to within field goal range (despite some poor clock management) and kicker Aaron Medley missed a 55-yarder badly. But Florida had called time out because the Gators had too many men on the field and Medley got another shot. This one missed to the right by inches and Florida got to celebrate again.

Telling stat: Florida was awful on third downs, going 3-for-15. But on fourth downs, the Gators were 5-of-5. Five of their 17 first downs came on fourth down plays.

Florida's 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 7

8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida’s 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 6
    2018: Florida 41, Michigan 15.
    Where: Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta.
    Rankings: Florida No. 10, Michigan No 7.
    The set-up: Reaching a New Year’s Six bowl game was big in Dan Mullen’s first season, but the Gators wanted to take it beyond that by winning the Chick fil-A Peach Bowl and finishing the season in the top 10 nationally with a 10-3 record. UF also was seeking some revenge against a team that physically dominated the year before.

What happened: Leading only 13-10 through two quarters, the Gators got hot in the second half and blew Michigan out, outscoring the Wolverines 28-5 to post an impressive 41-15 victory. Lamical Perine caught a 5-yard TD pass from Feleipe Franks and Jordan Scarlett had a 1-yard TD run in the third quarter to give the Gators a 27-10 lead. Following a UM field goal early in the fourth quarter, Perine dashed 53 yards for a TD to put the game out of reach. The exclamation mark was placed on the performance by safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who intercepted a pass and returned it 30 yards for a TD with 4:43 to play.

Telling stat: The goal against every offense is to make it one-dimensional, and that’s what the Gators did in this game. The defense stuffed the run, giving up just 77 yards rushing, forcing the Wolverines to rely on the passing game. UF responded with five sacks and two interceptions.

Quote sheet
    • “This win is big. The Gators are back. I’m really proud of Coach Mullen and the staff the way they have just kept pushing us. They know our limits are way beyond what we think they are. They’re going to keep pushing us to be great players, be great men in the world. Just be great.” — UF linebacker Vosean Joseph
    • “They were just a better team. This is just an observation, for the most part they had us figured out. They knew what we were in and how to manipulate it. Hats off to (Florida) coach (Dan) Mullen and their coaching staff. They outplayed us.” — Michigan defensive end Chase Winovich
    • “We got outplayed on both sides of the ball. Florida did a nice job defensively.” — Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh
    Florida's 10 best wins of past 10 seasons: No. 6

9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    2018 Peach Bowl vs Michigan certainly most gratifying.

And of course any time we stop the Holes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    No. 4
    2018:
    Florida 27, LSU 19.
    Rankings: Florida came in ranked 22nd. LSU was No. 5.
    The set-up: It was a wild day in The Swamp, as Tim Tebow became the sixth player to be inducted into the Ring of Honor. But this was a huge game for coach Dan Mullen in his first year coming off the win at Mississippi State the previous week and taking on an undefeated LSU team that had won in The Swamp the year before.

What happened: LSU scored on its first possession and from that point, it was game on. Florida fought back to take a halftime lead, then made the biggest drive of the game to take a 20-19 lead late. The biggest play was a throwback pass by tight end Lucas Krull to Feleipe Franks to set up a La’Mical Perine TD run. LSU punted, but held and got the ball back. On third-and-4, LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (heard of him?) threw his first interception of the season and Brad Stewart returned it 25 yards for a score with 1:45 to play as the crowd went nuts. Burrow ended the day with a desperation pass that was picked off by Donovan Stiner.

Telling stat: Obviously, LSU and Burrow got a lot better on offense in 2019. But in this game, the Tigers were able to convert only 4-of-17 third down attempts which allowed UF to overcome 11 penalties for 115 yards.

Quote sheet
    “I was born a Gator. I played as a Gator. I will die as a Gator.” — Tim Tebow.
    “That last drive they had was a devastating drive. We just couldn’t make a play.” — LSU coach Ed Orgeron.
    “We had to rattle (Burrow). We knew he was going to crack in the clutch because we sent the heat.” — Brad Stewart.
    Swamp does in LSU

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It was great seeing more orange and blue in that crowd in the second half

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That pick six was maybe the best thing I’ve seen in person

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    good choice, my best 'in person' is SOS Field Goal v Auburn, worst the 68 loss to UGA

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I was born in 68

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Knocking down Auburn
    No. 3
    2019:
    Florida 24, Auburn 13.
    Rankings: Florida No. 10, Auburn No. 7.
    The set-up: With this being the first matchup of top 10 teams in The Swamp since the 2012 UF-LSU game, Florida coach Dan Mullen called out Gator Nation early in the week, challenging the fans to bring back the special atmosphere that existed back when he was at UF along with Urban Meyer. And the fans delivered.
    What happened: The Gators got off to almost a perfect start: a quick three-and-out on defense, followed by a 64-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Trask to Freddie Swain on UF’s second play from scrimmage. It was a sequence that lit up The Swamp, and it stayed lit for the rest of the afternoon. Florida’s aggressive defense, fueled by the loud and hostile atmosphere, dominated the Auburn offense, shutting out the Tigers in the decisive second half. The Gators had their offensive struggles as well against a tenacious Auburn defense, but UF came up with a huge play when it was needed — an 88-yard TD run by Lamical Perine with 9:04 left in the game that pushed the Gators’ lead to 24-13. Trask finished the game with 234 yards passing and two touchdowns, while the UF defense held the Tigers to just 269 total yards.
    Telling stat: UF’s defensive plan was to make Auburn quarterback Bo Nix play like a true freshman playing in only his fifth college game. And they executed the plan to near perfection, pressuring Nix into a freshman-like performance — only 11 completions in 27 attempts for just 145 yards and three interceptions.

Quote sheet
    • “Just another day at The Swamp, right? You talk about The Swamp as it used to be? This is what The Swamp is, and what we expect it to be.” — Dan Mullen

Knocking down Auburn

16. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    IMO, that LSU win in 18 was #1.
    It was a huge win, and re-established us as a power after the 4-7 debacle of 2017.

It also established the Mullen way to win. Things looked bad at various points of the game, but we found a way.

It also featured some excellent play by Franks- as a runner, passer, and receiver.
    Just a few games earlier, Franks had probably the worst day of any UF QB starter vs a poor FSU team. It was hideous.
    After just a 1/2 season of coaching, FF now took a leading role in a big win vs a very good team.

Credit to Franks, but more credit to Mullen.

I don't know the rest of the list (I see 2019 Auburn is #3), but I can't imagine any win is bigger than this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    What's #5?

18. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    It sounded like FSU 2018 was #5.

I know the Will Grier Ole Miss game is one of the top 2 along with the hurricane game win at LSU, but they feel hollow given how things fell apart afterwards. Maybe I'm biased because I was at the game, but the win over Michigan at the Peach Bowl feels so much bigger given how we've continued to build off it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    2018 FSU was #10.
    FSU 2012 and LSU 2012 were both great wins.
    They ended up not meaning a whole lot, given our 4-win season in 2013, but they were solid wins over solid teams.
    The 2012 FSU win was especially big since it was our only one of the decade vs FSU until Dan came along.

20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Still behind the wall