Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fla vs Georgia HS football

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by wingtee, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Finally someone said it

• Like Like x 1
  2. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators All American

Apr 3, 2007
    The youth leagues in GA are where it starts. There is one kid in Roswell who made this 6th grade travel team. They just won the National Championship by beating a team from Ohio, S. Carolina, and Jax, FL. They gave up 8 pts in three games to take the title.

"Feeder Ball" starts in 1st grade in a lot of GA. That means your youth program is affiliated with your high school -- you have access to the high school coaches, facilities and the high school players will help run practices, clinics, etc...

A lot of these kids are getting high quality coaching starting at 6 years old. Plus, there are dozens of academies and hundreds certified personal coaches and trainers. AND ... starting at 5th or 6th grade you won't see many dads with a kid on the team, as head coaches.

I'm biased b/c I live here and have coached football in the area for 13 years, but I think the coaching in GA is better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ooogabooga

ooogabooga Junior

May 10, 2019
    In Georgia, football is definitely a religion. Was involved in the Pope HS middle school program. This was 15 years ago and It cost $10 to get in and every Friday night the varsity games were standing room only. Middle bleachers sections were reserved for boosters. What was shocking was during that stretch we were there, the team had not had more than 1 win each of the last three seasons. They finished 3-8.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thems some hard core fans

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And that seems fair and reasonable but might not account for coaching since the NFL drafts athletes largely on potential. But that could be misleading because a great player might have been poorly coached or schemed in College(see UF LB corp).

How could we measure coaching/training?

6. melrosemafia

melrosemafia Premium Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Well we got one of their good coaches back with Pruitt back.

7. melrosemafia

Sep 1, 2021
    Top 100 players in highschool coming out this year. Fla 15. Georgia 6 . Now top 500 don't know

8. aclgator

aclgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bolles was scheduled to play Marist last season but Marist had to cancel due to a school related tragedy. Would have been interesting to watch and see how it played out. This upcoming season there is a classic called the border war in brunswick. 7 games with North florida schools playing south georgia schools. Should be fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We have the talent no doubt, I think the point is coaching. When a qb , for instance has high level coaching from elementary school through high school, it makes a big difference and would explain why we don’t produce more qbs. We produce the athletes but are they developed as well as the could be with high level coaching. The coaches are paid like school teachers here in public schools and leave if they are good. Private schools are a different animal. Here in Pensacola, pensacola Catholic has a good baseball program. LaBounty retired a few years ago and his right hand man took over but retired also when his kid graduated. They coached and watched the kids from coach pitch on up and knew all the parents in the area before they were hs age. Because it’s private, all kids in two counties are eligible to play there. They basically won the district for two straight decades. They had pro all players coming back and helping the kids all the way up. There are some football programs like that in Florida but the money probably isn’t enough, especially at a public school, to hire the types of staffs that are in som areas.

10. 4RoswellGators

Apr 3, 2007
    There are a lot of high school football coaches making $100k+ now. It is fairly common in GA. These guys know what they're doing too.

But the farm system is what has my attention. Some schools require the youth coaches to teach the high school's system starting in 1st grade. Roswell starts it at 6th grade. These head coaching positions aren't given to a random dad who raises his hand...you have to know football.

The high school head coaches are involved in their farm system too. Their paycheck depends on it.

Football in GA is the real deal.

And some schools charge $5 to watch a youth game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Legend

Jan 31, 2016
    Buford has one of the best programs in the country. They have so many teams that by the time they get to high school, they are trained to win. They expect to win.

12. 4RoswellGators

Apr 3, 2007
    Buford is the gold standard in the state. 5 or 6 years ago their head coach was making over $175k - it was big news.

I don't know how you can measure who has the better coaches (GA or FL), but I do know in GA kids are getting good coaching for 10+ years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    That's nice and all for the quality of Georgia high school athletics, but most people who are Gators fans are more concerned about the pipelines of elite athletes getting coached up and ready for college at UF, not that the quality of all high schools in a state are qualitatively better.

The reality is that kids can transfer in Florida within their county very loosely based on a parent's job or whatever the reason for convenience, and the elite players assigned to the wrong school for football development essentially transfer to the powerhouse football school that has great coaching, and there are a lot of them in Florida, regardless of the pay differential as there are a lot of teachers with good coaching credentials who don't want to live in Georgia and will choose the lower pay.

High school coaching in Florida could be better, and I really wish that there was a more coordinated effort to get former UF football players coaching at the high school level in Florida, but I don't lose sleep that the kids in Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach have pretty lowly coaching staffs while the Cocoa High's coaching staff is kick ***.

14. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I’ve learned a lot from this thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. melrosemafia

Sep 1, 2021
    Is it money that makes Georgia have better coaches, they are paid more is that all it is.
    Don't we start players at young ages
    Do they just take football more serious.
    I always thought Fla was top 3 state with Texas, Georgia producing college players.

16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Money gets the staffs just like it gets the best of anything else. My hs hadn’t won a game in three years. We get a coordinator to come take over and he turns it around. Takes another job and back to drawing plays in the dirt.

17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I think a lot it is organization and commitment to a high school plan. Then the money draws and keeps the best.

18. 4RoswellGators

Apr 3, 2007
    There isn't just one reason that you can point to and say "well, if we just did this, we'll have better program."

Example: Napier comes in and tells SS what is required to win championships. He gets SS to buy-in, which helps the boosters to buy-in, which helps the fans to buy-in, which helps the community to buy-in, etc... everyone is in sync (from the AD down to Burrito Bros.) and it becomes a machine over time.

In large areas of GA, you have that type of buy-in as it relates to winning football games at all levels. It attracts people who love football and want to be around it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. pecks

pecks VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I took a job as a sports reporter at the ripe old age of 53 back in 2001. This after a 25 yr career in the roofing business. Never forget my first meeting with a head coach from Baker, Fla. I, of course knew a little about coaching but this coach, who had won a state championship in 1993, let me know pretty quick that coaching was a big deal in HS football. Especially if you wanted to win. He said you could not start them off too soon and it mattered who was doing the teaching. He was right about that. There is great football played in Georgia as well as Fla. Hard to call who is better overall. Georgia does put out the better qbs. Fla. on the other hand has an abundance of skill players! Best in the country.

20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That's quite a career shift. Admirable to make such a major shift that far in. Kudos.