Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

First Year Coaches Review

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorade, Nov 20, 2022.

1. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    No argument about the up and down nature of the season. There is a conflation of aggressiveness wrt 2pt tries vs maneuvering 40-50 yds of real estate in a 2 minute drill. Clock management not related to philosophy at end of half situations.

Much of what we have seen has been team wide at times and we have flashed moments of brilliance. What the needs is to elevate their level of play consistently we probably have correlation of issues related to who is on the field at a given time. Last Saturday for sure.
    Unfortunately, there is technique improvement even on defense but we arent seeing the payoff yet wrt to W and L. Lastly, we did stop vandy on several 3rd downs but choose to vacate the effort with penalties its not as though they beat us into submission like LSU last year with the counter trey.

still losses sting regardless of the opponent

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So he gets a worse grade if he loses on the road to an 8-3 FSU team that is trucking everyone not ranked and was within one score against the 3 ranked teams they lost to. 3 scores and they are undefeated. I would think if we are competitive and look good but fall short, I would give him a half a letter grade improvement. We win, it's a whole letter. So, either C-, if we get stomped or just an awful game plan, C+ if we are close but fall short, ala the Tennessee game, and then B- if we beat FSU.

3. hendu24

hendu24 Freshman

Dec 11, 2010
    You left out DeBoer who has Washington at 9-2 and in the 20, they were 4-8 last year..

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Sophomore

Jun 22, 2007
    A 'C' is a very fair grade. Recruiting looks better but I don't really see where we've improved during the year.

We'll probably be 6-6 with a lower tier bowl. Hopefully we look like we're trying (unlike last year's bowl).

5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Why insist on others to give their grade, when you didn't give one? As for me, I'll be happy to suggest a grade after the FSU game.

6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    A C is average. If we were .500 and had an average recruiting class, and the future looks average, a C would make sense. I’m surprised at how critical everyone is with their grades. Napier is anything but average or mediocre. He’s at least a B- at this point and will only improve as time goes on imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorade

gatorade All American

Oct 21, 2014
    I didn't give one due to the fact it was a question more than a statement.
    It is called avoiding sampling bias.
    My grade is a C.
    Also wanted to see what one of the mods take was as they replied with no grade.
    No surprise there. So, there you go.

8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007

500 is well below average given the non P5 games. And that doesn’t even account for program stature. Case in point the awful ACC is 29 games over 500. PAC 17 over. SEC is 41

Out of the first year coaches he’s been clearly outperformed by most, and has only outperformed Mario. Although if we take off our Gator glasses we are 6-5, they are 5-6 and similar recruiting rankings. Venebles in a similar boat.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. airgator96

airgator96 All American

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    Unfortunately, what is on paper is complete bunk. The reality is we are sadly lacking in crucial positions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    “You are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells. So, we are SEC losers again. This has to be the bottom. Cannot happen next year.
    I thought 8 wins would be a fantastic job this year. However, never imagined we would be losers in the SEC this season with Kentucky (at home & a revenge game) & Vandy on our schedule.
    If you just grade on field coaching = D if we lose to FSU. C if we win there and win the Weedwacker Bowl

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a misconception.

We have 3 likely first rounders. Loaded RB. Multiple OL, DB, and DL NFLers.

We are thin at WR, LB and S. Although we have a NFLer at LB.

We aren’t as stacked as UGA or Bama. We can debate 12th but it’s a lock we are top 25 talent. Nearly all teams have some relatively weak position groups.

Either way we are by far more talented than Vandy and UK. Probably 0 players on Vandy start at UF. Maybe a few from UK.

And definitely more talented than UT but it’s not enormous. LSU is close and debatable either way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    Think we are more talented than USF too

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I have to give Napier an I since the football and recruiting season aren't complete. I'm as impatient as any FL fan, but I think I can wait another month to grade him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Losing season last year. And lost some good talent from that team via draft and transfers (NFL running back, starting LB).
    It feels like Napier is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.
    I’ve seen noticeable improvement from a discipline standpoint in regards to penalties. And recruiting looks good to this point.
    There have been disappointments. And at times it looks like he’s learning on the job. But all said, I believe the ship has been turned in the right direction. And ships don’t turn on a dime.

• Like Like x 1
  15. senecagator

senecagator Freshman

Nov 22, 2022
    I see four major criteria in evaluating a head coach...recruiting, talent development, CEO (making the right staffing and policy decisions in leading the team), game management/decisions.

Grading CBN on all four criteria is impossible for me at this stage of his career. The two areas where he can be evaluated are recruiting A- and game management C- maybe D+. We will see how he performs in the two other criteria as the off season unfolds and time goes on. I believe he will make the staffing decisions that clearly need addressing...time will tell. Overall grade is an Incomplete.

16. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Goodness...now thats an indictment right there. He is great..but after year one every major coaching personnel around him needs to be changed. WoW!

17. cedarkey_gator1

cedarkey_gator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I'm still too pissed off about Vanderbilt to give him a fair grade. I guess C- to D. But it's not a fair grade.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator

Sep 15, 2007
    Welcome to Gator Country and Swamp Gas!

So we can all get to know you better . . . How long have you been a Gator?

19. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Billy needs to do what he does best, Recruit, Organize and enforcer of the rules, meet the press. Quit trying to be an coordinator, he is too close so he can’t make the changes in a game when it is needed. Too much on his plate. Saban a coordinator, Brian Kelly, nope, Kirby no, this is how you can build a better team. As for the other two DC, Special teams coach, no brainers! ask 100 Gator fans if we can do better with new coaches in place, survey before you shoot from the hip. I know we couldn’t believe how special teams hurt the team all year and the defense has continued the scheme to layback so far, when someone goes around end, running or receiver, first Gator defender gets a try at a tackle, now being three to five yards downfield, one missed tackle is a first down or better. Third and long should be the name of our defense. We didn’t go after Barry Odom or Vandy’s ex coach. Both very good defensive coordinators. This due to the Head Case Mullen telling us by his actions we are stupid. May I ask, did you think Grantham defense worked? You probably thought if we just had better players we can fix this. Three years came and went, Now we have a new staff. We keep these coordinators, we will be replacing the whole bunch. All I can say is stop the bleeding!

20. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    He was hired to win football games. Thus far it is not happening to Gator standards. Grade D