Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FIRE GRANTHAM NOW

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Skink, Oct 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi Skink,

Well what a pisser huh?
    Some are saying UF will want to "save"
    the money and let his (TG) contract expire before letting him go.

I'm with you. This is intolerable and inexcusable.

Kirby must be salivating.

Gross incompetence, I think he has lost the players and he damn sure has lost the fan base.

Ex Gator players are screaming to.

Two seasons down the drain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I wish Bobby, but better get Gainesville High to represent us in the Weed eater bowl because this staff showed last year they don't give a damn about bowl games.

8-5 if we are lucky

3. RipCurl

RipCurl Senior

Apr 7, 2010
    Last season hurt especially. A heisman candidate QB and an amazing receiving core. That was truly a wasted season.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well before yesterday, we thought the defense was improving. The inability to stop the same play is alarming.

I think at this point, we are all onboard with replacing TG at season’s end. We are hoping to salvage the season with AR and a serviceable defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. bobroberts

bobroberts VIP Member

Oct 20, 2008
    central Illinois
    I actually thought about Manny Diaz while watching the defensive meltdown in Baton Rouge. I thought about how he got fired at Texas mid-season after a particularly embarrassing performance by his defense. Hmm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    At SOME point we may need to look at what's going on up top in the athletic department because yes this job is a pressure cooker, but any other school that's on UF's level perception wise will be one too. I just find it one helluva coincidence that by the end of year 4 Meyer, Mullen, McElwain (year 3), hell Muschamp just seemed burnt out. Say what you want about Mac, but we should have noticed something bigger off the field when he fired shots to the athletic department after the bowl win over Iowa, how downright dejected he looked after the win over Tennessee in 2017, and how he IMMEDIATELY called out the FACT we needed to upgrade our facilities the moment he became HC. It's like UF, FSU, and Miami all have the same issues; it's not going to fix itself unless you get a people up top in the athletic department to buy in and damn near go ALL IN with football. Remember we're suppose to have gotten Kelvin Joseph and Arik Gilbert via the portal over the last two years but the people up top didn't let it happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    That was Mack Brown. I don’t see CDM having the cojones to fire TG right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep. Given the repeated pattern of collapse, this is one of those situations where pulling the eject lever mid-season has some value.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    It just depends on what Mullen is willing to do. This may not be idiotic. I agree with other posters about him sticking with grantham. Recruiting needs fixed also. We are on a concerning downward trend. UGA is not going to blow the east every year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I agree. But calling for Mullen’s head before even getting rid of Grantham is illogical

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. GATORAJE

GATORAJE GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Luling, Louisiana
    I will take your opinion under advisement.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Junior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    I think if Dan is still here (most likely) then Manny Diaz will likely be our Defensive Coordinator next year.
    I don’t know if he is the best choice, but he seems the most logical one given the relationship with Mullen.
    I don’t know if Grantham last the whole year, but I think even he sees the proverbial writing on the wall.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yes Mullen is stubborn. Yes he should have handled the QB situation differently. But it doesn’t matter how long it took him to realize AR is the better QB - he knows it now and that offense in the 2nd half was a beautiful thing to watch. So you gonna fire him now that it’s looking brighter on offense just because he was stubborn and took too long? Recall that it was in Spurrier’s 6th season before he finally accepted he had to put his quarterback in the shotgun. Talk about stubborn.

Yes he needs to fire Grantham. That’s priority 1. One step at a time.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    You’re probably right since Dan did hire him twice. I don’t think he’d be a step up, but maybe it’ll be good for South Florida recruiting.

15. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Usually I don’t like firing assistants too quickly either. You saw what LSU did last year and it didn’t help. It was a covid year and I thought Coach O acted a bit too hastily in replacing 5 of his assistants.

16. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    My only concerns are the best coaches wouldn’t come here because we keep firing coaches before 4 years and the monster buyout

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    CDM doesn't have a monster buyout. He's top 10 salary, but his buyout is 31st @ $12mil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    We just finished paying Muschamp’s, this is the last year of payment for Mcelfart. Another 12 million is a lot of money

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I had some good sleep and I haven't changed my stance - anyone would be a better improvement than Grantham. Let's get Iowa's DC. Solid defense, just needs a good offense to pair with it. Here's why I know Grantham has to go:

1) Since Mullen has been HBC, Grantham's defenses have set 6 school records in a bad way - most yards in a season, most points in a season, fewest 3 and outs in a season, etc. I forgot what the other 3 were but maybe one of you have the UF alltime stats.
    2) That 3rd and Grantham joke is irritating, almost worse than the FSU warchant.
    3) We wasted the one time we will ever have a chance to win the SEC and make it to the CFP. Under Mullen and Grantham, UF will never make it to the CFP. I bet good money Kentucky will make it to the CFP before we will.
    4) Grantham's defenses just never get off the field enough. By the time the offense has their turn it's like they have to warm up all over again. Georgia's defense is light years better because they have more 3 and outs than we give up 1st downs. The offense gets back out there in rhythm and they can wear out the opposing defense. We will never wear out any defense even if we were the #1 ranked rushing team. We just give the opposing defense at least 30 minutes to recover. Maybe even hit the toilet or get something from the concession stand.
    5) Grantham cannot make in-game adjustments. His plan is predicated on looking at film and laying down everything prior to the game. Then once the game starts, he makes a few adjustments at halftime, but can't adjust once the 2nd half kicks off. Exhibit "A" is the 7th game where an opposing offense ran the same play over and over and Grantham couldn't prevent it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    @RealGatorFan love that post. There’s a reason why any place Grantham has been at that by year 3 fans want him gone. He’s outdated

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.