Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Final Stake in the Steele Dossier and Russiagate

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by carpeveritas, Feb 3, 2023.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You are focused only on paid advertising (which I don’t think I’ve seen suggested was a great influence). That was hardly the totality of what the Russians did.

What do you think was their GRU budget for hacking the DNC servers? For paying the operatives to disseminate the email communications? For the troll farms to operate on social media?

I think this is the “not quantifiable” part that other poster referred to.

Personally I always thought James Comey himself was probably a bigger factor swinging the election to Trump than the Russians could ever have hoped to have been through all their efforts, somewhat ironic Trump would later fire him on false pretenses (or at least wholly non-credible reasons, coming from the Trump admin).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    @
    “Some” of the press? I think that if you cared to look it would be a % that would make you quantify it differently. Mueller doesn’t make a statement at 8:30 on a Friday night because “some” of the press were connecting dots without their numbers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That statement addressed a specific Buzzfeed story, that Trump had directed Michael Cohen (his lawyer at the time) to lie. In the Mueller Report, they state that while they have evidence that Trump knew that Cohen had lied in his testimony, they did not have evidence that he directed him to do so.

4. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    None of the hyped media charges were of great influence and that includes RT YouTube, Russia Today (RT) broadcast television, Twitter, FaceBook etc...

RT also hired IPSOS to do a survey in 2015 concerning viewership of Russia Today broadcasting. The survey doesn't break down the age group of the audience level, citizenship or Russian immigrant status for that matter. I can't find the original study but this is a news article from RT. The survey includes 38 countries out of 100+. I can't find the actual study at this point so take it with a grain of salt. There is the potential for inflated numbers. The interesting part is they break down daily versus weekly viewing.

RT watched by 70mn viewers weekly, half of them daily – Ipsos survey
    RT ranks among the top five most-viewed international news channels in Europe and the US, the biggest study yet of the Russian network’s viewership by Ipsos reveals. Seventy million individuals switch to RT TV channels weekly, with 35 million watching daily.

Understanding RT’s Audiences: Exposure Not Endorsement for Twitter Followers of Russian State-Sponsored Media
    We examine how users in our 10,391 sample engage with RT. Our findings indicate that engagement with RT is low: There are only 2,806 engagements with RT, which we count as a retweet (2,371 instances) or a reply/mention (913 instances); this accounts for just 0.15 percent of the 1.87 million tweets sent by our sample. The distribution of the number of engagements with RT per user is long-tailed which means that a small number of users drive most of the engagement, as shown in Figure 4. This is typical of online behavior in general. The most engaged user accounted for 284 (10 percent) of all the 2,806 engagements with RT and the 10 most engaged users accounted for 1,133 (40.4 percent) of all the engagements. Only 325 users of the 10,391 users engaged with RT at least once (3.23 percent). However, it should be noted that during the year we study, only 3,395 of the 10,391 users in our sample send any tweets at all (33 percent). Of these users, 9.87 percent engage with RT, which is a larger but still small proportion. Figure 4(b) shows that while engagements with RT are a small percentage of most user’s tweets, for two users it accounts for 100 percent of their activity. Both are low-volume users who send very few tweets.

The DNC hacking was attributed to Guccifer 2.0 of which there is no evidence he had any association with the Russian FSB / GRU. Enter Roger Stone, Wikileaks and Alpha Bank. In fact if he had Putin would have been sitting on a treasure trove of information to compromise Hillary Clinton should she have won the Presidency. When viewed through this lens Putin would have been more inclined to back Hillary Clinton versus Donald Trump. Go with the known versus the unknown.

As for the DNC servers the Feds never got them even though Comey requested access to the servers. What was ultimately agreed upon is CrowdStrike would do the internal investigation for the DNC. We know where that investigation went. Hillary didn't want the FBI poking around on those servers. Why? Given Comey's actions prior to his being fired I'm sure Hillary had little desire for FBI interference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Moderator

Dec 31, 2016
    I'm not surprised - that's what happens when you don't read the entire article. Author Jeff Gerth

A note on disclosure
    In 2015–16, I was a senior reporter at ProPublica. There, I reported on Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, and Russian oligarchs, among other subjects. I helped ProPublica decide whether to collaborate with a book that was critical of the Clintons’ involvement with Russia; the arrangement didn’t happen. Another of the projects I worked on, also involving Clinton, was published in the Washington Post in 2016, where I shared a byline. Some of my other Clinton-related work was used in 2016 articles appearing in the New York Times, my employer between 1976 and 2005, but without my byline. Initially, the Times sought my assistance on a story about Hillary’s handling of Bill Clinton’s infidelity. Subsequently I approached the paper on my own about the Clinton family foundation. In both cases, I interacted with reporters and editors but was not involved in the writing or editing of the stories that used my reporting. During the second interaction, I expressed disappointment to one of the Times reporters about the final result.

I left ProPublica in December 2016. That month I was approached by one of the cofounders of Fusion GPS, who sounded me out about joining a Trump-related project the firm was contemplating. The discussion did not lead to any collaboration. I had previously interacted with Fusion related to my reporting on Russian oligarchs.

In the 2017–18 academic year I was a nonresident fellow at the Investigative Reporting Program, affiliated with the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California, Berkeley. There, one of my projects involved looking into the dossier as part of preliminary research for a 2020 film the Investigative Reporting Program helped produce for HBO on Russian meddling. I was not on the film’s credits.

At CJR, these stories have been edited by Kyle Pope, its editor and publisher. Kyle’s wife, Kate Kelly, is a reporter for the Washington bureau of the New York Times. CJR’s former board chair was Steve Adler, formerly the editor in chief of Reuters; its current board chair is Rebecca Blumenstein, a former deputy managing editor of the Times who recently became president of editorial for NBC News.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    False. 12 GRU officers were indicted and, in the indictment, the Justice Department states that Guccifer 2.0 was a creation of these GRU operatives. One of the officers behind the moniker made a mistake at some point and left an IP address traced to GRU headquarters on a server with a social media company.

This speculation assumes two things not in evidence: that Hillary Clinton would have cared about the revealing of the DNC emails (the most "explosive" of which were just staffers bad mouthing Bernie people- which would not have been valuable after the campaign) and that they did not, in fact, have information on Trump.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Guciffer 2.0 is not actually a person, and not only is it false to say no evidence this “person” was associated with Russia, it is actually a made up persona created by Russian Military Intelligence. Guciffer 2.0 actually *is* Russian intelligence. You’d know that if you read the Senate Intel report instead of kook media interpretations. It’s on page 183-185 of that document. Of course the “evidence” of how they reached these conclusions are generally redacted, but we do know our intel was able to identify certain individual Russian officers involved and indicted at least a dozen as a product of the Mueller investigation (a likely symbolic gesture, as it’s unlikely they will ever be apprehended).

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, sure.... Interesting. Tell me again about the difference between a "Uvula" and a "Uterus" again? LMFAO!!!!

I have reason to ask, based on your previous response. This in NOT a creative insult... It's just a serious question.

9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you ever actually read the Mueller report? "Russiagate" is largely the figment of one man's rather twisted imagination.

https://www.justice.gov/archives/sco/file/1373816/download

10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This thread destroys nothing, it does, however, feed the MAGA gullible.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    You would think a moderator on GC would be held to a higher standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    The question was not re the $value$ of the disinformation, but rather the actual impact on voters ... ie how many changed their vote or did not vote based solely on or largely due to the voter being exposed to Russian disinformation on social media.

13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Bullshit. He was impeached out of political vendetta, period.

Paybax a bitch, and the invoice will be satisfied, with interest.

14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Nah, just a dyed in the wool polyhack.

Hopelessly brainwarshed.

15. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    So, all of the gnashing of teeth and rending of garment, there’s no evidence to indicate Russian misinformation had any impact on the outcome of any Presidential election.

To summarize-
    There was a big lie ….. the Steele Dossier
    Which led to another big lie …… Russiagate
    Then there was the fabrication that the dossier and R-gate were true, accurate
    Next was the perpetuation of that lie by elements of the US gov’t, democrats, most of the US media
    Then there was an investigation and hearings

Yet there is nothing to indicate any foreign interference impacted the results of the 2016 Presidential election.

I wonder what impact the misinformation regarding “Hillary’s emails” and @Hunter’s laptop” had on the last two Presidential elections? Think it may have been more significant than Russian interference ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I also recall that Mueller indicated that criminal prosecution would not be recommended based on the Office of Legal Counsel opinion which held that a sitting president could not be indicted for a crime.
    Why Mueller said he couldn’t indict Trump, explained

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    That election was decided by 27k votes in 3 states. It's impossible to quantify how much Russian meddling influenced the vote in an election that close.

The GOP led Senate Intelligence Committee detailed the Russian collusion with the Trump campaign. Case closed.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  18. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Apparently not. Especially when he tried to defend the fake electors as legitimate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Not only is your post largely deflection, you in a profoundly subjective, partisan manner fail to consider any impact the fabricated dossier (funded by Trump opposition) had on the 2016 election. At least try to be nominally objective.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    What’s truly sad is ….. the dossier and related Russia-gate lies were perpetrated by Americans against an American for the sole purpose of misinforming and inflaming partisan hate by Americans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1