Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Final Rankings

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by manigordo, Jan 1, 2020.

1. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Curious as to what Gator fans think about where Florida will be ranked at the end of the season.
    An over-ranked Utah lost, two of Oregon/Wisky and Ga/Baylor will lose.
    OTOH, Penn St. passed the "eye test" in their win.
    Last year we ended at 6th, I believe, and passed Ga who beat us on the field if I recall correctly.
    Does Penn St, pass us? Bama, Auburn or Michigan if they crush their opponents?
    Where do the pollsters put us?

In any event, I think we remain ahead of schedule. Thanks CDM!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Go Gators!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Should be 5 or 6. But due to a lot of secret alliances b/w poll members it will be about 8 or 9.

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. jjgtrs

jjgtrs Junior

Dec 28, 2019
    I'm good with #5 IF UGA wins...otherwise..#4..strength of CONFERENCE and schedule matter..sec is now 4-1 in bowl games with 4 more yet to be played

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    7th

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    We probably won't pass Oklahoma but should. They have 2 losses like us with a much easier schedule. And we saw how they got exposed. Top 5 would be awesome. Hoping for that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    UF is #6 in the AP. OSU will remain in the top 4. UGA shouldn’t lose. So, #4 OK. How far do they drop? UF could finish any where between #4 to #6 in the AP.
    UF is currently #7 in the coaches poll and probably finishing 6 or 7.
    I don’t think there will be another CFP poll so UF will finish at #9.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    If we had beaten Virgina big we had a chance to be in the top 5, I believe that we will finish 7-8 and yes because Penn st beat Memphis big will jump us over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    Gators are number 6 now. We want #5 UGA to lose to #8 Baylor. 1 through 4 are not changing. #7 Oregon plays #11 Wisc. We're for #11 Wisc to win. A win by Oregon means they might pass UF.

So UF finishes between 5 and 8.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree. Winning by 2 td’s against a lesser opponent matters. Va hung with us a little too closely. We will be passed by at least 1 and finish 7-8. Super win but not impressive enough for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Had we drilled Virginia five or six would’ve been possible, now looking more like number seven or number eight.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Legend

Oct 15, 2012
    #4 will definitely drop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. beemerthegator

beemerthegator Senior

Dec 1, 2019
    I believe we will in fact be 5 or 6 in both the coaches and AP poll.

Our ranking in the playoff poll was #9 and that is where it will remain -- there is no poll after the bowls and playoffs the purpose is to rank for the bowls and playoff and then the committee is done. Sticklin referred to this when interviewed on a podcast.

With the other two (Coaches and AP), I think we clearly fall behind LSU, Clemson, and Ohio State. We may or may not fall behind Oklahoma -- I would think probably. We almost certainly come in behind the Georgia/Baylor winner -- and probably ahead of the loser.

Will anyone else move ahead of us? Oregon is possible as is Bama. I don't see Auburn moving ahead of us with 3 losses already and one of then head to head. Penn State is way down at 12th and 13th and their win was fairly close against the "last" chosen New Year's Six team (Memphis). I think Oregon is the biggest threat to knock us into the 7th spot, so I will probably root for Wisconsin in a close one today in the Rose Bowl.

13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Watching the game, I never felt we could lose the game. Penn State played a team whose coach already checked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I think a better showing against Virginia would have bumped us a spot higher with what’s been happening with other teams, however I think we have a chance at 6th but realistically, 7th seems more probable based on “closed door convos”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    One thing that will help us is that the AP and Coaches polls have ranked us higher than the CFP consistently. So, now that the CFP is behind us for the year, we could end up getting a better foothold on a higher final ranking. Today's games will determine a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. cubangator

cubangator Junior

Jul 8, 2017
    Penn st is ranked #10 and beat up a #17 ranked Memphis (with a new HC or not) we had problems with the #24 team and only win by 8 points.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I don't care as long as we're #7 or higher. I'm much more interested in where we'll be ranked next season when we're 8-0 the week after the Georgia game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I absolutely agree with you but it definitely wasn’t our best performance and the final score doesn’t look all that impressive

19. jpullen

jpullen Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee

Oklahoma does not deserve to be in top 10. Will be an injustice if the committee keeps them at 4. Then again, the committee only dropped UGA one spot after getting bitch slapped by L$U. So, in other word, the committee is not an unbiased judge of teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    IMHO 6th is highest possible, 7th most likely.

• Creative Creative x 1