Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FIFA Womens World Cup soccer - 2019

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jun 11, 2019.

1. AlfaGator

AlfaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I hope they hang 50 on somebody. RUTS.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    No one. NO ONE is complaining about the score. NO ONE.

3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I wonder if the norms for celebrating soccer goals differ from those for scoring touchdowns.

4. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Not true.

Look at Twitter if you don't believe me. Plenty of people saying once we got to 6 we should have let off - or something to that effect.

You made your thoughts known here. Our team is guilty of over celebrating and being poor sports. Makes us look bad. Setting a bad example for our youth. Etc. etc.....

We get it....but some of us agree to disagree.

OK?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    My apologies.
    No one who knows anything about soccer is complaining. And I have let my opinion be k ow . I have also said you are welcome to your opinion. I get you. Some here are cool with rubbing it in your opponents face. Nonproblem. But to so many keep actingike the problem was the score when it wasn't, at least not to those that know the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    You already stated your beef with players like Rapinoe earlier in the thread, no surprise you think she's obnoxious:rolleyes:

7. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    So they shouldn't be excited about scoring? Ridiculous.

As far as I'm concerned, Alex Morgan can do whatever she likes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Have to agree on that one......:emoji_thumbsup:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree with them, but people bothered by the celebration are entitled to their opinion. People complaining about the score don’t know or understand how the the tournament works. As long as goal differential is a tiebreaker, the US is obligated to score as may as they can. Especially since the runner up in this group likely gets France, the co-favorites for the title and the home team in the round of 16 and our main rivals hasn’t played Thailand yet so we don’t know whether our game was an aberration or not. That’s why the focus on sports news shows and commentators has mainly focused on the celebrations, it’s the only to attack what they think was an embarrassment.
    My guess is that at some point, FIFA caps the max goal differential advantage in a game to 6 or something to disnlentivize games like this, but until they do, the US did what they had to.
    Blame FIFA tiebreaker rules and national federations for not investing in the sport (the difference between 24 and 1 shouldn’t be anything like what we saw), but much of the anger at the US is misplaced imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    If it were kids playing kids they'd have something to talk about. But these are adult professionals. Play your hardest until the final whistle and enjoy your accomplishments like it's your last World Cup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hawaiigator

hawaiigator Junior

Sep 9, 2018
    So should A Florida player who has scored TDs in the past not celebrate scoring when the play Lower Alabama Technical Institute? Come on, this is ridiculous, celebrating goals in soccer is very much a part of soccer. It’s not poor sportsmanship, they would have done the same if they were scoring on USA the whole time. Everyone needs to get over their self righteousness. In soccer, you score a goal and you celebrate it period. If you don’t I’d say it’s worse because it’s a known thing to happen. So if you don’t celebrate, might be giving the perspective of you were too easy to beat so you’re not worth my time to be excited.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

I imagine the day they stop shouting "GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!" would be the appropriate time to stop the knee slides and celebrating...

Until then....

Celebrate on!!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    If SOS was the coach: it’s not our job to keep the ball outta their goal. ‘Ats there dagum job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The players want more money and more respect. They represent far better than the mens team, exponentially better in fact. They are the talk of the sport right now. All publicity is good publicity. Just make sure you spell my name right.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    As has been stated they need the extra goals for overall point standings and tiebreaker scenarios. To complain is to not know a dang thing about the tournament you're watching and per usual the loudest voices tend to be the most ignorant ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Today's games:

Australia vs. Brazil - Noon ET - Montpellier - Fox
    South Africa vs. China - 3 p.m. ET - Paris - Fox
    =====
    Our next game is on Sunday at Noon ET vs. Chile - on Fox

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Our men/boys are actually very competitive up to about the age of 18 (though that number is sliding lower as the big leagues start bringing in younger and younger players). It has far less to do with money than it does our way of doing things (earn a scholarship to college). What we need to do is develop a pipeline, or better yet, pipelines to Europe for our most talented younger players. And even then it will be an uphill battle and we may never win a WC. Hell, Holland hasn't won a WC and look at the amazing players they've produced over the years.

MLS will never be anything but a second-tier league. First-tier leagues don't play during everyone else's offseason.

18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    (from Alex Morgan):
    "And for the celebrations, these are goals we have dreamt of our entire life. I mean, I'm going to celebrate Mal Pugh's goal. I'm going to celebrate Sam Mewis and Rose Lavelle. This is their first World Cup and I'm so proud of them. And I couldn't have dreamt of scoring five goals in a World Cup. So it's incredible for us all and I'm happy just ignoring those comments."

U.S. captain Megan Rapinoe, who celebrated her team's ninth goal by sliding to the ground before leaping into the arms of the U.S. substitutes on the sideline, told Fox Sports she understood the criticism "in part," but also deflected it.

"If anyone wants to come at our team for not doing the right thing, not playing the right way, not being the right ambassador for the sport, they can come at us," Rapinoe said. "I think our only crime was an explosion of joy last night.

"If our crime is joy, then we'll take that."

Morgan: 'Disrespectful' to ease up on Thailand

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Our kids are competitive, because at younger ages, it's less about skill and more about athleticism. We know how to train young athletes to be strong and fast, but we don't have the academies to teach these kids how to have the best soccer skills. European academies have been training kids for decades, which is why around the age of 18, plus or minus, there is usually a split that begins between American soccer players and those from Europe.

Agreed that our best need to start training in Europe at a younger age, but there are rules against this. American kids can't start training in Europe until they are 18. And European kids can't train in other EU countries before they turn 16, so the best an American kid can do is if he can get a passport from a European country, start training at 16. This is what Pulisic did.

Our domestic soccer academies are improving, but still have a long way to go before we can compete with the Europeans. And agreed, MLS will always be a second tier league, especially with the schedule. But if MLS changed its schedule to match the rest of the world, then MLS would be competing with college football on Saturdays, and the NFL on Sundays. Meaning, it might not survive at all, whereas under the current schedule, the MLS is healthy. And it's better to have a healthy, second-tier league, than no league at all.

The bottom line is we're never likely to compete consistently at top soccer levels. Heck, Mexico has never made it out of the Round of 16 at a World Cup they didn't host. But the current state of the men's team is pathetic, and we should be the Kings of CONCACAF, make every World Cup, and be a team that is always a tough out, and with some luck, can make a quarter final or semi-final. We're nowhere near this today.

As for the women, completely different story. Title IX has given our women a leg up on the world in terms of women's sport, and the rest of the world is still trying to catch up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Agreed on almost all points. Pulisic went to Dortmund at 16yo. How did he get around the rule?