Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fields asking for waiver based on racism at UGA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by KrakowGator, Jan 9, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    sounds like it was an opinion piece.

2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's how I took it. The media outlet paid for the rights to present this opinion (it wasn't a letter to the editor).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Of course whites can be victims of racism, hate crime records will show you that. What me and Mutz argue its that there is a power relationship and structure involved in racism. We simply take issue with people who claim that all racism is the same, or that "reverse racism" is a problem or even a thing to be reckoned with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Oh yeah, I think that's a reasonable take. White people can certainly be victims of racism, but the victimization tends to flow mostly in one direction because white people control the vast majority of power structures in this country.

5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    depends when you read it. apparently Huff Post didn't start paying until a year ago.

6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Football players are going to Georgia for the cash, not for the chance to play at a racially-enlightened university. When the cash runs out, the recruits will run out as well.

7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    There is real insight in this thread on the insistence of posters to mention "white racism" in a thread addressing the topic or racism directed toward an African American at a southern school that was part of the Jim Crow south by at least one white student athlete. I find it particularly illuminating on a college football message board in a state that was part of the Jim Crow south.

if we did not know better, we might ask why the subject of "white racism" is even relevant. But, we do know why, don't we?

The south carries a heritage of slavery, institutional racism, discrimination, segregation, denial of economic opportunity, lynchings, rigged justice and the like toward people of color. African Americans and others. Some southerners fight to preserve the long lost antebellum lifestyle memorialized in Dixie and the vestiges of everything represented by the Jim Crow monuments to civil war heroes.

So, when an African American alleges racial discrimination, he is prejudged for playing the "race card" and some place emphasis on discrimination against whites. As if the history of discrimination against whites in the south is somehow equal to discrimination against people of color.

it is little wonder why Donald Trump, with his coded pleas to racism and xenophobia, is so popular in the south.

We see the code for what it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Another source of Trump's popularity, I assume not confined to the south, is the notion, born during his candidacy, that "he tells it like it is," meaning that he insults anyone and everyone he can about their looks, intelligence, and anything else he can think of. This is thought to be admirable.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    And the bufoons lack the intellectual capacity to grasp it. He doesn't "tell it like it is", he lies his bleeping bleep off whenever, wherever and however he pleases with a complete disregard to the truth. Maybe I'm a little slow, but "lying" is not "telling it like it is". It's simply lying, period. 1+1=2, water is wet, and the sky is blue. That's "telling it like it is". Ray Bob and Junior juss kaint tell the differnse. Oh, and boldly proclaiming everything he does is the greatest accomplishment in history, and whenever someone calls him out, he suddenly automatically knows that person's innermost thoughts, beliefs and intentions. His level of BS is so freaking obvious, even Ray Bob and Jimmy Earl should be able to smell it, so either they are complete morons (possible) or they are just as dishonest as the individual one.

Even my cat knows water is wet. That's telling it "like it is".

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    what color is the sky in that world of yours? many of us aren't questioning the dumbass baseball player said something stupid, I am saying he should sit out, where you get all the rest from this is amazing. coded pleas racism xenophobia..........wtf are you talking about

11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Did you read the posts on this thread about discrimination against whites? The attempt to hijack the thread. That is what I am addressing. Your comment about one “dumbass” suggests that you did not read the thread because Fields’ attorney also addressed other evidence, including social media. So, if you read the entire thread and the people trying to exact commitments that there is discrimination against whites in this thread, that is who I am taking to, and about. My comments are irrelevant to the rest of the posters here, but I not letting the garbage I was addressing go by.

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, I wouldn't doubt that social media is full of racist crap, just like it's full of Trump crap and every other kind of crap. The jerks who tweet the crap are only part of the problem. The other part is all the people who read it. How do people like me live without social media (outside of forums like Swamp Gas, of course)? I'm beginning to think that there's just something wrong with me. Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist about not having a Twitter account or a Facebook account. He would probably tell me that I'm just no-account.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I don’t have one either. GC is my social media life.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. gatorr4life

gatorr4life -WE ARE THE BOYS- Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s transferring because Fromm is going to be the starter for two more years. He knows he’s not beating him out. The n word is absolutely inexcusable but we all know that’s not the true reason. If Fromm went down mid season, I GUARANTEE you Fields would be going nowhere. That said, Georgia would be unbelievably stupid to restrict him. Monumentally stupid. I hope they do!