Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fields asking for waiver based on racism at UGA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by KrakowGator, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That is only compelling proof that a fellow student used the N word at a football game. And as I understand it, said student has been given the boot. How anyone could know that this wasn't a random event is beyond me. Maybe the offending student uses the N word all the time; who knows? We have no evidence of that. But even if so, that doesn't mean the University racially discriminated against Fields in any way. Given the number of black athletes on the football team, I find that notion comically absurd.

Fields is playing the race card for one reason and one reason only: so he can avoid having to sit for a year after transfer. I am so glad he didn't come to UF; he'd have pulled the same crap here when Franks beat him out.

2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The thing is, it doesn't matter whether it's about racism or not. You absolutely cannot control every student on campus and how they act, but most of the students are also free to transfer without penalty. I think we are going down the wrong path if we are trying to discern justification for a reason to transfer without facing a penalty. That is WAY too much overhead. Let the kids transfer for whatever reason they want. No need to make assumptions about whether or not the incident (or multiple incidents) of racism had a significant impact on Fields.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    If I were a team under consideration I would feel conflicted. You want immediate eligibility so you can lead a team but someone "said a mean thing to me"? Does not sound like a successful leader.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LoyalGatorFan

LoyalGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you talk to liberals no...whites are never the victim...we are too privileged

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    yeah, it was in the same stadium with 92,000 other people, if you want to call that 'in his presence.'
    No, I don't think it's fair to label UGA as having a racist atmosphere because one jerk said something. Do you really think no one at UF uses that kind of language?
    It's pretty hard to imagine the real reason he's leaving is because one person said something that the kid didn't even hear. It simply sounds like a ploy to avoid sitting out a year.
    So if the NCAA has a rule that you need to sit out a year when transferring, that rule should apply unless there's a much stronger reason than "Someone told me that someone said something offensive."
    If that is a valid reason, then the NCAA needs to just throw out the rule about sitting out a year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. LoyalGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    Okay so what if he goes to Ohio State and someone yells it there? Which they very well might knowing it’s public knowledge..is he going to transfer again? What if he hears it out in Publix? Is he going to leave and go shop somewhere else? At some point, ignoring it (different from accepting) has to be the ultimate...you can’t control people, only your own actions/reactions....

7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    At minimum, the kid knows it happened. And it's possible he even heard it. I know that people at UF, or at least people in Gainesville, use that language. I've seen and heard it said. And those people should be accountable for the garbage they're spewing. I think it's disgusting, river, that you're just writing off racism as a "ploy." I'll pose you a hypothetical. A cop arrests a black man after pulling him over. While the black man is in the car and out of ear shot, the cop calls him a n-word while talking to the other cop. That comment is recorded on his body camera. If that black man sought to have the arrest thrown out on the grounds that it was racially motivated, would you write it off as just a ploy?

But go ahead, river, be the guy who judges the sufficiency of racism. I wish you luck with that. It'll be great optics to be the white man telling the black kid who was a victim of racism, "Sorry, kid, but that's not racist enough for me. You need to suffer through more racism before I'm satisfied." Personally, I'm not deterred by the idea that this could hurt the Gators. If UF fans want to say that crap, our players have every right to want to get out of dodge.

That'll be his choice. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred, and I wouldn't blame him if he left the Publix. He has no obligation to ignore it. He has every right to choose a place that he believes is more accommodating.

8. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    ridiculously broad stroke.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. LoyalGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    Not if you go with certain posters on this forum....but yes overall, I would hope that isn’t true of general society...But like I said if you go with GC posters and certain media outlets, it’s hard to tell

10. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Feel free to name the posters who believe white people can't be victims of racism. Then, we can clear up whether that is true or not.

11. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

All those who every time make jokes about "white people being victims"

and don't deny that it doesn't happen.....A LOT

12. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Watching Fields over this makes me glad he went to Ohio St to take his Primadonna crap to them instead of us. He is just using any excuse to make up for the horrid decision to go to UGA and be able to play immediately. He didn't learn or won't to live with his decision and he's using some anal excuse. College football is looking more like the NFL every day.

13. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Nah. The football isn't anywhere close to that level.

14. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    depends on if he is starting, imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The important thing here (Fields having found another place to play or ride the pine) is to make UGA look as bad as possible. I have a feeling that the NCAA will oblige, since it's the politically correct thing to do. Then in the end UGA supporters will be wanting to get Smart for somehow talking Fields into going to UGA in the first place.

16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Should any incoming recruit to uga that wants to transfer be able to use the same reason in the future to avoid the one year sit out period? The went to the school with full knowledge of what happened to Fields.

17. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    If he can show racism directed at him, sure.

18. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Just to make it clear, even when a black person is called the n-word by a white person, it's still "playing the race card?" Seems like an even better reason to not take that phrase seriously. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    And if you listen to certain posters, white conservative Christians are the most picked-upon, mistreated group in our society. But it'd be a bit of a stretch to claim all conservatives believe that, don't you think?

Meanwhile, I'd be curious which media outlet says that whites can't be victims of racism. thanks

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Huffington Post; I read an article one time it reminded me of something I'd expect to hear from wgb or Mutz. It's based on a different perception of "racism" and that there's some sort of ownership of "racism" by the minority party thereby prohibiting a majority from being victimized by that particular concept of racism.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS