Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fields asking for waiver based on racism at UGA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by KrakowGator, Jan 9, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    In theory. But contracts, buy-out clauses, etc., mean that coaches can't possibly move year to year the way players could.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Todd Graham disagrees.

3. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we have the same rules that we do now for grad transfers, that won't be an issue. Once they're in the portal, they can be recruited. Until then, no tampering is allowed.[/QUOTE]

agree to disagree

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I would love to see the NCAA grant the waiver on the basis that there's a racist environment at UGA and Fields should be allowed to leave such a place without penalty. We'll see what that does for UGA recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Moderating is on you now. Hah!

6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Told ya. Knew it! I hate when sports invade Too Hot. Like being violated. Oh well. Back to the Trump threads.

7. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm just kind of baffled by this whole thing:
    1. A UGA baseball player dropped an n-bomb at a football game? In front of other fans? What the hell? I remember a Mike Freeman column for CBS Sportsline (I didn't like or believe the guy when he wrote for the Times-Union) claiming that Gator fans were yelling racial epithets at Chris Leak during games because they didn't want him to break Wuerffel's records. Didn't believe it. Can't imagine fans doing that without getting run out of the stadium by other fans.
    2. But even in the guy did, Fields is claiming he needs to leave UGA because three months ago someone used the N-word. He didn't hear the guy, the guy got kicked off the baseball team for it .. But three months later, Fields is so offended he needs to leave school? Because UGA football, with about 18 black starters, is racist?
    3. He expects the NCAA to recognize the tragedy of the circumstances and give him a waiver because no one should be expected to have to tolerate something he didn't even hear?

I'm kind of baffled.

8. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    You don't think being called the n-word, as a black athlete, is a sufficient reason to leave the school?

9. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    No. One person said something? Was it to his face, or did he just hear that someone said it?
    But, no.
    No one can expect protection against ever hearing anything they don't like.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 11:21 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I can't help wondering, what would Jackie Robinson do?

11. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Wow. I'm disappointed in you, river. Somebody telling me that I did a poor job on a work assignment is something I don't like. A white person calling a black person the n-word is something well beyond that. For you to argue that's not a sufficient reason for him to leave the school is very disappointing to me.

If somebody threatened to lynch him, would that be a sufficient reason? Or is racism never sufficient for you? Where is the line you draw for a black person having cause to go elsewhere?

12. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    That’s induction. Arthur Doyle didn’t really know the difference either.

13. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Justin Fields is transferring. Players who transfer are unhappy with their situation. Therefore, Justin Fields is unhappy with his situation.

14. docspor

docspor GC Legend

Nov 30, 2010
    yeah, that is induction. frequently mistaken for deduction.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:19 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It might be a problem if it was institutional, like it was a common occurrence at the school, or the school condoned the behavior. But they kicked him off the team. As much as we'd like to think there are "bad racist happenings" at Georgia, it really is just an individual bad actor. Not that there aren't other trashy racists in Georgia, but some of the areas around and outside Gainesville aren't exactly models of cosmopolitan living either. UF fans really can't cast stones in that regard (Riley Cooper anyone?).

It's pretty transparent this is over PT. If he was the projected starter do you honestly think he'd be transferring? I say not a chance.

He just wants the exemption to play next year, this incident gives him a somewhat legitimate claim, but one that is a bit dubious if you place it under honest scrutiny. I don't blame him one bit, but that's what it's about IMO.

16. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    It both shocks and saddens me to see posters doing a complete about-face on racism. It is irrelevant if it was institutional or not at UGA. It is irrelevant if UGA condoned it. This is not a punishment for UGA. UGA is not being sanctioned. It is an evaluation of whether Fields has a legitimate reason to want to leave. You are essentially arguing that Georgia wasn't racist enough to justify his transfer. Apparently, a black kid needs to suffer through a lot of racism before some of y'all are satisfied. It disappoints me greatly to see people who are usually allies flipping sides like this.

I don't care if PT plays a role. I don't care if you suspect he has ulterior motives. I don't care if he'd be willing to overlook it if he were a starter. Why on Earth do you think it is a good idea for the NCAA to try and evaluate whether the racism he suffered was damaging enough or pervasive enough? Who are you to tell a black kid that being called the n-word isn't good enough?

Do you know why I don't place his claim under "honest scrutiny?" Because your "honest scrutiny" ends up with white people trying to judge if the victim of racism suffered enough to justify wanting out of that environment. Your "honest scrutiny" is judging whether a black kid was sufficiently victimized by racism. You can't even sit here and deny the racism. You're essentially arguing that it wasn't enough racism. When do you ever think that is a justifiable argument?

Worst of all, you're not the kid. You're not in the kid's shoes. You're trying to read his mind. You're trying to assign him motives that you can't substantiate. You're assuming the worst about a black kid who was the victim of racism. It is depressing to see this from y'all. It sure looks to me that y'all want Fields' application to be rejected because you're worried that this is going to set a precedent where racist fans will actually be accountable for the garbage they spew. I welcome that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 1:24 AM
  17. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Ohio State is an interesting destination for Fields, given that an OSU coach allegedly called wide receiver Trevon Grimes the n-word. Not some fan in the stands at a game, but a member of the coaching staff.

Of course that coach has since been fired, but not for what he allegedly called Grimes but for allegedly abusing his wife. OSU (which stood by the coach for the wife-abusing as long as it could) has denied that the coach used the n-word, though he did according to Grimes's father and three UF football players who have reportedly stated that Grimes told them about it. Grimes himself, who transferred from OSU for other reasons, has apparently not publicly commented.

I'm sure that OSU assured Fields that it never happened, if Fields asked about it. Of course the assurance of Urban Meyer, who was head coach at the time and hasn't gone anywhere, would be all that it takes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:08 AM
  18. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    There are 37,000 students at UGA. One of them said something stupid and offensive. It wasn't even in Fields' presence. I imagine on a typical weekend, lots of offensive stuff is said by some UF student. Anti-black, anti-white, anti-Jew, anti-Christian, anti-American ...
    I guess that makes the UF campus unfit for anyone.

19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    It was said in Fields' presence. He was shouting it at the game. And it's not about a campus being fit or unfit. It's about the kid having a legitimate reason to leave. For whatever reason, you see this as a punishment for the school. It has no effect on the school. It's choosing not to punish the kid because his reason for leaving is legitimate. Grimes being able to avoid sitting out a year because his mom was sick wasn't a punishment for OSU. OSU didn't make his mom sick. They had nothing to do with it. It's not about the school. It's about the kid. Are you really going to be the guy who judges whether racism is significant enough? Do you think that's something you want the NCAA judging? How do you think the optics on that will be?

20. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    I would imagine if you witnessed something like that, you might sour enough on your UF experience to want to leave, particularly if you thought you had better opportunities somewhere else. It happens, these are impressionable students in their teens and early twenties. Ultimately though, he's simply presenting everything relevant to get eligible for 2019. And really, I'm not going to fault a student for gaming the NCAA's stupid rules to do that, especially with an incident that no one seems to dispute.