Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fields asking for waiver based on racism at UGA

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by KrakowGator, Jan 9, 2019.

1. KrakowGator

KrakowGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Krakow, Poland
    • Optimistic x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Utah
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. BCNGator99

BCNGator99 Premium Member

Jan 5, 2010
    This was expected. UGA is not likely to fight it and just wants Fields and his issues to go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pandoras box....what's to stop every kid from claiming these type of circumstances. Some idiot shouts something from the stands, some idiot posts something denigrating on social media. What athlete has not experienced some type of ill treatment? Heck, pay some random $5 to yell something at a game or post something on twitter. If this is the criteria just eliminate the sit out year cause it's gone.

• Agree x 29
    • Winner x 12
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    While I think this is ridiculous I can't help but think....

This will help us more than we will ever know

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This may draw fire, but to me this cheapens the argument when real, damaging racism occurs. Everyone knows he is transferring because he can't beat out Fromm. Weak. I'm sure the NCAA will grant his request because they don't want to take this on.
    This begs the question about why players are not allowed one free "do over" transfer with immediate eligibility. That would eliminate the need for creative excuses.

• Agree Agree x 23
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. gatorbuck23

gatorbuck23 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I’ve heard talking heads skate around the issue, so i figured I’d open it up for discussion. Is the assumption that he’ll be granted immediate eligibility based on the fact that there was a baseball player at UGA who said some racist things about Fields, and he is claiming a hostile environment at UGA? I don’t know the back story, but if this is true, why would they grant this based on one idiot? Theoretically anyone at any time in any environment could say something racist to a player (most likely fans at a game) and a player could say he’s not comfortable in that environment. I would understand that public pressure might force the NCAA to grant this, but the can of worms that it opens could be pretty tricky to deal with. What happens when someone at Ohio State does the same thing? I’m not here to say how Fields SHOULD feel, but you have to admit it all appears convenient for him to have this in his back pocket because things didn’t work out at UGA. Why should the actions of one idiot force the hand of a major organization?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. BCNGator99

Jan 5, 2010
    I think this case will tell us a lot about how the NCAA is going to handle transfers in the future. No one is disputing the incident happened, however UGA kicked the offender off the team and out of school and was very public about it. If Fields gets a waiver, I will expect the NCAA to starting giving them out in most cases. If not, then they are going to be seen as trying to tap down on the transfer free agency atmosphere that the new rules have seemed to create.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. albertasdad

albertasdad Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Im not even gonna express my feelings or comment but didnt Grimes leave OSU for the same issues???

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. BCNGator99

Jan 5, 2010
    No. Grimes' wavier request had to do with a sick family member living in South Florida.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. KrakowGator

KrakowGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Krakow, Poland
    No, Grimes wanted to get closer to home due to family illness, I believe with his mother. But he didnt like the atmosphere at OSU as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Nebraska
    In his eyes, what's the worst that can happen? NCAA says no, you have to sit a year; something he's probably already expecting to do regardless. I don't blame him for doing this from his perspective.

Hopefully it does hurt UGA in the recruiting department and high school coaches/players from Georgia see it and it influences them a bit. That would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. persuader

persuader VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Not to excuse the behavior......but, Fields enrolled at the University of Georgia. Did he truly think there wasn’t a sole on that campus that held idiotic, racial biases? It’s a shallow argument for a transfer waiver, unless he can demonstrate that the issue isn’t isolated.

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  14. prgator

prgator Premium Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Racism sucks, plain and simple.

And if transfers and a whole host of other things are adversely affected and become messy by having to deal with racism, then racists are to blame.

Give the kid a transfer!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. skz868992

skz868992 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Its more complicated that just a random athlete in another sport making a comment. It has to do with Zach Smith, who was coaching at OSU at the time. The stated reason in the request to the NCAA was family member illness.
    That said, once you start down that road of granting waivers its a very slippery slope. My solution? Just give every player a one time "do over" transfer without having to sit out. Its not ideal, but much less arbitrary and eliminates the need to embellish stories. Grad transfers are allowed.
    The whole "welfare of the student athlete" argument is tiresome. Big time College Football is a business for many, including the school, conference, coaches and a select number of players.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. gatorjack

gatorjack johnl VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good analysis. Is there really less racism at Ohio St. than at Georgia?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Here we go again...

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. go7gator

go7gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Racism at Georgia.

Imagine that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. go7gator

go7gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Like your suggestion of a one-time waiver. Wonder how others regard it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. jump_pass

jump_pass Premium Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I think his case would be strengthened if his sister wasn't staying at UGA to play softball.

IDK how to feel. I believe this is partly due to he was lied to and couldn't beat out Fromm. But no doubt experienced racism. It's just where do we draw the line on transfers? I think if the NCAA rules in favor of him (and we all know he's far from the first or last player to experience racism), then it kinda sets up for players transferring without sitting out at all in the future to me.

Also, the ESPN article, Thomas Mars his attorney claims there is more to it than the one time baseball player incident. If that's the case, I'd expect UGA to not challenge so they don't open the door for anything. But that to me is also admitting guilt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1