Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

FHSAA task force recommends pushing back start of fall high school practice to Aug. 10 Updated

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not intending any "shoot the messenger" type stuff here - but what kind of sense does that make?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree, if the primary goal is to play a regular football season. But that scenario also sounds like infecting the maximum number of parents, grandparents, and second-order connections. One team could infect many hundreds of adults before the first symptoms show.

I read a story from the Spanish Flu influenza about a kid who got it from school then gave it to his mom who then died. Many decades later, was still haunted by it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 27, 2015
    These are smaller schools with less kids on the team. Much easier to control 35 kids as opposed to 70 kids. I would say less fans in the stands, but we pack them up here in Texas!

4. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So they are allowing fans? Here in GA we are hearing no fans, band, or cheerleaders.

5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Varsity
    FHSAA to meet amid backlash, threat of Miami-Dade departure

By Buddy Collings Sentinel Sports
    Three days after a marathon meeting ended with many still wondering what the plan is for high school sports, the Florida High School Athletic Association’s board of directors will try again on Thursday.
    And this time the 16-person board will be staring at pressure to follow advice from its FHSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee and a threat that Miami-Dade County schools will withdraw from the association.
    Steve Gallon III, vice chair of the Miami-Dade school board, announced Wednesday he plans to propose during an Aug. 12 school board meeting that his district consider breaking away from the FHSAA in protest of its decision to not change Monday’s start date for fall sports practices.
    The FHSAA board is scheduled to hold its second emergency meeting in four days Thursday at 5 p.m., again on the Zoom videoconference platform. It will again debate return-to-play issues for a state dealing with coronavirus numbers that are staggering in some areas and low in others. This meeting can be viewed by the public via the FHSAA YouTube channel only.
    On Monday night the board voted to retain its traditional fall sports start date and allow schools that can hold practices next week to do so. Panelists asked for another meeting to give them time to review public comments and digest a late-arriving report by the FHSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC). That document calls for the association to postpone football and girls volleyball indefinitely as “high-risk” sports.
    Thursday’s agenda also includes the likely adoption of a set of fall sports return-to-participate guidelines drawn up by the FHSAA staff at the request of board president and Tampa Plant assistant principal Lauren Otero and several other board members.
    In the absence of a change by the FHSAA a number of school districts across the state have announced their own alternate start dates to begin tryouts and preseason preparations for football, girls volleyball, bowling, cross country, golf and swimming and diving.
    Orange County Public Schools announced while Monday’s five-hour FHSAA meeting was still dragging on that it has postponed sports. Limited summer conditioning workouts are permitted but not full-scale practices until a date to be announced.
    Seminole County announced Tuesday that it will extend summer workouts but will not allow practices until Aug. 31.
    Sources have told the Sentinel that Osceola County teams will not practice next week, but no official announcement has been made by that district.
    Lake and Volusia counties are still in the process of deciding initial practice dates. Both are expected to make that call Thursday.
    “We will let them know something by the end of the work day on Thursday,” Lake County Schools athletics director Don Hogan said.
    Return-to-play decisions made by local officials based on community conditions are what FHSAA executive director George Tomyn has called for since high school sports were shut down in mid-March due to the pandemic. He said the current calendar can accommodate adjustments made by districts and pledged that his staff will do everything it can to accommodate all circumstances in a state where coronavirus numbers and school reopening plans vary widely
    “I’m not supportive of a plan that is more restrictive than anything we have right now,” Tomyn said to the board on Monday.
    But many have chastised the association for not providing more guidance and a more concrete plan while many states across the nation have done so.
    Alberto Carvalho, the Miami-Dade schools superintendent who oversees a county especially hard-hit by COVID-19, joined Gallon in criticizing the FHSAA’s decision to maintain its current calendar.
    “Considering local health conditions across South Florida, [Miami-Dade County Public Schools] is disappointed with the [FHSAA’s] decision to maintain July 27 as the start date for Fall Sports,” Carvalho wrote. “This decision will result in inequities and create limitations for our student athletes.”
    There is no sign that any county in the Orlando area is thinking of leaving the association. What area school districts are considering is the option of opting out of the FHSAA’s state series system and championship tournaments in favor of localized playoffs. Those could include postseason events within county lines or in a regional format that might include teams from across a number of Central Florida districts.
    The association’s staff has said it will allow schools that go independent to extend regular-season play past the traditional end date.
    FHSAA policy calls for two full weeks of practice before teams can play preseason Classic games. For schools that practice next week, the Classics are scheduled for Aug. 10-15, with regular-season play beginning a week later.

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    UCF football
    Schneider, coach at Cocoa High, tests positive for virus

By Chris Hays sentinel sports
    Former UCF quarterback Ryan Schneider, who is in his third year as head football coach at Cocoa High, tested positive for COVID-19 Tuesday.
    Schneider, who said he had some minor symptoms, figured he should get tested since he was going to be around players during preseason workouts.
    “I had a light cough Saturday going into Sunday, and some body aches and a scratchy throat Monday and today it was a headache and body aches,” Schneider said from his home in Cocoa, where he will be quarantined for 14 days. “I’m pretty much locked up at home.
    “I’m just hoping it doesn’t get any worse. I know a guy who coaches … in Georgia, and he had it and felt fine for a couple of day, but then it got really bad on him and he’s actually in the hospital right now. It looks like he’s going to be OK, but it’s just scary.”
    He was shocked to learn the result of his test Tuesday.
    “Honestly, I said you’ve got to be [kidding]. I don’t feel that bad,” Schneider said. “Then I just got everything from the doctor and understood everything I knew I had to do, the procedures.”
    His Cocoa team had been going through workouts, but after his positive test result, Schneider said the team has “shut down workouts until further notice.”
    “The kids have all been made aware, the coaches, the administration. We’re gonna follow all of the guidelines set by our district,” he said.
    Schneider, who had not been around any of his players since July 15, said if it was a normal situation, without the coronavirus, he would be at work as usual since his symptoms are so minor.
    “I hate to say it, but I think it’s just something we’re all gonna have to go through,” Schneider said. “Until we get smarter … you know what I’m saying.”
    Scneider said he has no idea where he contracted the virus.
    “If you think about it, how many times am I at the gas station using my debit card or things like that,” he said. “You can get it from anywhere now. But no one I’ve been around has been infected.
    “I’m not gonna lie to you, though. My symptoms are so minor that I wouldn’t have gotten tested if I wasn’t coaching … if I wasn’t worried about how we’re going to start practice here in the next couple of weeks. So I just wanted to make sure what I was feeling wasn’t anything.”
    He shared his COVID-19 test result on his Twitter account Tuesday, but he tried to reassure his family he fortunate to have mild issues.
    “I was telling my parents, my symptoms, if I said they were from 1 to 10, I’d say I’m at 2,” Schneider said. “I feel completely comfortable right now. I’m talking to you on the phone, but there are some times when I do have a little cough and my throat hurts a little bit and my knees and ankles are hurting.”
    Email Chris Hays at chays@orlando sentinel.com.

7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I don’t see how they can play this fall

8. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    They have not made a blanket statement yet. I think family should be allowed, but HS football is like college football here and there are fans screaming they want their season tickets honored. Most here still feel the numbers are being cooked and think this is all a political vendetta.
    The UIL did make an exception this year allowing HS football to be broadcast on TV or the internet live. This is normally only allowed for the state championships or with specific approval when they end up with a big game for cable tv.

UIL will allow schools to broadcast games live on Friday nights during 2020 regular season.

9. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    political vendetta?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    They only cancelled one game but they may have to cancel the next 12-14 games through 8/11 (14 days)

That would be 2 games in football. Basically ending your season for a division title.

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It will lead to exactly what I don’t want to see, depleted roster football. Just imagine having most or all of your starting OL, or defensive backfield or your top 2 QB’s out for 2-3 consecutive games. All just to throw something out there to soak up the mega tv $$$. Not good, imho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KendallGator922

Mar 27, 2015
    Is roster depleted football > no football ?

14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You seem to want to make this all about some selfish need on our parts to be entertained, which is bullshit. Do we want to watch college football? Sure. But the decisions whether or not to have a season isn't about us - it's about the financial impact on the universities and their surrounding communities. We keep saying that, and you keep making it about "our need to be entertained". What are you after here?

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Flu has been around for as long as I can remember and I don't ever recall cancellation of high school or college sports because of the flu.

The scare tactics in play here are aimed at crippling our economy. People had damn well better wake up and realize what this is all about before it's too late, if it isn't already.

Play ball, everybody under the age of 50 go back to work in their real offices, put the kids back in school, and let's get the big wheel turning again.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    College football, no, in my very small humble option. I fully understand most others just want something, to watch. I just believe it’s going to be a very diluted foreign product, even more so with no fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree. I’m not seeing it either. In my opinion, this postponement is merely a precursor to cancellation so they can say they tried and didn’t jump the gun. Seriously, with the way things are going now, what difference will a two-week delay make?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    Right...so money over health? Look the MLB barely got out of their first weekend and are on the verge of being shutdown...what the heck do you think is going to happen with college sports. Its not reasonable or safe...they can make money in the spring semester. Our need to be entertained is not great than the health of student athletes...want to make money LOTS of it...wait it out until spring!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.