Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Feeling positive about the next few games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    KY, UT and Towson.

That would put UF at 5-0 going into a season defining set against Auburn and LSU.

I’m getting Ahead of things a bit but it certainly seems doable.

The latest Gator Nation criticism seems to be the running game / offensive line.

At the end of the day The line protected FF pretty well and UF wound up with over 200 yards rushing.

I would suggest that Hevesy will continue to coach them up and they should be as ready as they can be for the meat of the SEC schedule by Auburn.

I see much to be positive about. I like UF’s
    position going into KY. The cats were dealt a blow with the injury to their QB.

UT is a mess. Towson is Towson.
    Just hope the injury bug stays away.

In the meantime enjoy the FSU, Miami and UT debacles.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    oneatatime

• Agree x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Winner x 1
  3. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Auburn might lose to TAM the week before (edit: two weeks) the play us...I think Aub is beatable.

LSU on the road will require some more growth from the OL from now to then. I think that growth is possible, based on the monumental turnaround for that group last season.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    After watching LSU last night I don’t get a good feeling about that game. They finally found an aggressive offense and the defense looks like normal. They gave up some points on the road but they are still a good defense. I think our defense front will give them trouble buts it’s going to be all on the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Im not as worried about LSU's defense as I am their passing game against our depth-shy secondary. We can score points on LSU imo, but can we consistently pressure Burrow enough to keep him from dicing up our secondary?

I think our outside pass-rushers match up well against LSU's OT's and can pressure him well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Stay away? The injury big had already bitten my friend. Sigh

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

A lot can happen in four games. The team is slowly getting it worked out. No Gator injuries for aub, lsu and I think they are both toss ups at this point Aub needs to work on scoring offense and lsu needs to work on defense. Right now at the beginning of the season nothing is real clear.

• Like Like x 3
  8. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    The one advantage we have going into the lsu game is we'll be the first defense they will have faced. Might have an over-inflated opinion of themselves.

• Like Like x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nicho

Nicho GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LSU = toughest game on our sched this year

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    As much fun as it is to watch their suffering, UT has me a little concerned right now. They are a wounded, trapped animal and if we go in cocky and don't show up that could be an easy trap game. Sad to say, I actually hope they do OK against Chattanooga to reduce some of their desperation.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    Interesting take, as CB's and pressure are the 2 areas I am not worried about. The key to the entire game will be the OL and Franks (and that applies to every game, really).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Credit given where due......nice job with the thread title, @Gatorhead !

As far as the premise of your OP......yeah....I guess so. But like @oneatatime - I'm a one game at a time kinda fan.

Let's get a win in Lexington first - and then see where we are. SEC road games are never a given - plus I don't trust the Vols to be a pushover just like that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    FPI for remaining games:

@UK...........66.4
    vs UT..........86.5
    vs Towson...98.7
    vs Auburn....58.1
    @LSU..........19.6
    @USCE........56.5
    UGA............36.2
    vs Vandy......92.5
    @ Mizzou.....58.8
    vs FSU.........84.1

That UK # is a bit lower than we would all like. The LSU # is just :emoji_astonished:. While I anticipate that game to be a loss, I would expect it to be pretty close and the Gators should have a chance to win. I'm a bit surprised the USCe # is that low, but it's a road game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    LSU is our surest loss of the season.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. spike718

spike718 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    I’m worried about U.K. beat us last year and while they lost their best players to nfl and have a back up qb, we have played like crap against them all but one of the last 5 or so games. They are stout at stopping the run which we have struggled against, their strength onD Is at d tackle so running wide would be prudent and using the passing game cause their secondary is kind of weak. Henderson out will also hurt us.

16. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    As uf showed in week one anyone can beat them if they don’t play well.

Uk will be a stiff test no way around it and Tennessee will be looking for a season saving victory. They will be desperate.

Uf matches up ok for both but don’t count your chickens. A lot can happen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    According to same index, LSU has better chance of beating us than Mississippi State. I was surprised to see that during their game yesterday.

18. gator32405

gator32405 Senior

Nov 30, 2008
    I agree with OP. Kentucky was a threat with Terry Wilson at QB, but Sawyer Smith has taken 0 career snaps against an SEC defense. He will have a long night and I think taking Florida -8.5 is a safe bet. UT is in full scale dumpster fire mode; no way they come to the Swamp and be better than they’ve been. Towson is a gimme. Now this is a take I haven’t seen out there; but I think Auburn is a bit overrated. I’ve watched both games in entirety and their offense is really pedestrian this year. Bo Nix struggled in both games. He ranks #110 in pass efficiency; has a 47% completion percentage and has 3 TDs and 2 INTs. Their defense is for real but that offense has yet to face an SEC defense. LSU is going to be tough. I’d like to be optimistic but after watching the Texas game I’m firmly in the “well anything is possible” camp but I fully expect a loss in Baton Rouge. However, does that really even matter as long as we take care of the Dawgs in Jax? I think the game against LSU has no bearing in our season’s outcome. Win or lose, win the rest and you’re still in the CFP. Lose in Jax and you’re out most likely even if you get the win in Baton Rouge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    We will know what kinda team we will be after TN. And Mullen will have to coach around our weaknesses the rest of the year. Be it Oline weakness, Felipe making bad decisions...and even coach to our strengths, like pass rush WR play,, etc.

Auburns schedule is brutal. They will end the season with a few losses. Also that freshman QB of theres just went 10-33 passing. He has a terrible pass percentage for the year.

I have LSU as a loss. But us beating the mutts.

20. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    An LSU close loss would likely provide subsequent focus and motivation. And Death Valley will be a good forge.

As for the Oline, last year I thought our line was going to get crushed at MSU. But they held up and we helped with the game plan of quick passes. We matched their toughness. We have the strength to hang with anyone. And a bonus: Special teams are going to win us a couple of games this year. So will defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1