Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Feds thwart plot to kidnap Whitmer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Oct 8, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A lesson we could all use reminding of, most especially me. But self-discipline can be difficult when one is being provoked

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Tourists, very fine tourists who just wanted a tour

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Don't bother me, you bringing up "very fine people" doesn't bother me either but you had better check with river. He might think you are changing the subject.

4. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021

I'm sorry, but I can never take anyone wearing those donuts in their ears seriously. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Suspects in planned kidnapping of MI Gov. Whitmer go on trial. They didn't want to wear masks and were sent by God (allegedly).

Feds: Whitmer kidnap suspects plotted to hog-tie governor, spark war

The Gov. Gretchen Whitmer kidnap trial opened with lots of talk about COVID-19 restrictions, with prosecutors telling jurors that four militia members were so enraged by the lockdowns and masks that they they plotted to kidnap the governor, hogtie her, blow up a bridge and kill any police officers who got in the way.

The defense painted a different picture, maintaining the defendants were upset about the pandemic restrictions, but never had any plan to kidnap the governor, that they were entrapped by undercover FBI agents and informants who ran the show and that any comments about Whitmer were merely tough talk.

This is the story that jurors will have to sort through as they listen to allegations about a group called the Michigan Wolverines, that prosecutors say did a lot more than talk. They cased her vacation house, drew up maps, held training exercises with human silhouettes and built practice bombs, prosecutors said, arguing this was all part of their bigger plan.

• One suspect allegedly said he asked God for permission to kill, and that he got it.
    • Accused ringleader Adam Fox claimed to be anointed by God, wanted a hostage and wasn't satisfied with storming the Capitol, allegedly saying: "You take politicians — now you got human life. We just want the bitch/ We want the tyrant bitch."
    • Another suspect "just wanted to murder her" and suggested shooting her when she came from work, and posing as a pizza delivery person.
    • Another allegedly talked about crushing her skull,

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This just backs up my theory that people pretty much universally twist their idea of what "God" wants to always fall perfectly in line with what they want.

• Winner Winner x 4
  7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    How often are entrapment defenses successful? I mean, it's one thing to claim you would not have solicited a prostitute except for a very pretty undercover officer asking you if you want to pay for sex. Doesn't seem like works very often. But for kidnapping? Would it be like "well, I would have never thought to kidnap the Governor, but the FBI put it in my head and made it sound so fun that I just couldn't say no."

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have not read in depth on this case in a while, but there was demonstrable law enforcement misconduct. That said, based upon my high level reading, it was not misconduct which created a crime that would not have otherwise occurred. Will probably get a more detailed analysis later. I might change my mind with additional evidence. But law enforcement misconduct, especially with confidential informants, should be presumed in almost all cases.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    IF these bozos were the patriots they claim to be they would try to enact change within our system (e.g. voting) rather than resorting to force to get the outcome they demand. Kidnapping and murdering politicians we do not like is not how our system works. (and yes, I am fully aware that people on the left have resorted to violence as well).

10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    God was created for that very reason :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From the little I've read, wreckless Fed undercover tactics.

13. reboundgtr

reboundgtr VIP Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Jawja
    At least the Feds are consistent

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I guess with the size of the jury odds are you get at least one Q Anon whack job in the mix.

15. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can’t the same also be said of those who would eliminate God’s existence to line up with their desired ends? :D

16. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like you called that one right.

17. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think so, can you give an example of a case where someone justified their bad actions saying "I'm an atheist, and I'm commanded to do this by my lack of faith"?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Would the jury have heard the issues with the police/informants, or would that have been limited to the judge deciding whether those actions warranted dismissing the case? If the jury heard it, that could have swayed somebody and locked in their decision (especially if it was one of those anti-govt types).

19. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3