Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Feds thwart plot to kidnap Whitmer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Oct 8, 2020.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am not spinning the numbers: I am reporting them. Their cases/population are currently lower, their deaths/population are currently lower, their tests/population are higher, their test positivity rate is lower. You are trying to spin by counting deaths that were sparked by cases contracted pre-shutdown as an indictment against her current shutdown policy. And then talking about it like it is a current issue, not a past issue. That isn't an honest look at the situation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree Davis, but Florida has an arguably harder population to protect. That is a huge part of what a state like Florida deals with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    91% was at a time when it was impossible to be tested even when someone was sick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    At first I thought this was a J. Crew ad.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  5. tilly

I am being 100% honest. I am just reporting numbers too. This is a pandemic. Not a one week event. No one has handled it perfectly, but over the entire run of this virus, with a much older population and a state twice as big, and New Yorkers flocking to it early on, Desantes sits here in October with basically the same percentage numbers and half the unemployment problem.

None of that condones Ms. Whitmer's mistreatment, but it does leave her open to heavy criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The initial surge in Michigan was at an earlier stage of the disease when less was known about spread, risk factors, mitigation (such as mask wearing), disease courses, and treatment. And when there was less testing. So there are too many confounding factors to rely on to blame governors for deaths on the early days. Today, people wear masks which reduces viral load for those who are exposed and may get sick, but not as sick. Positional treatments as apposed to Ventilators, which are now a last resort. Various anti vitals and anti clotting agents now used. And governors don’t treat patients medically. The “number of deaths” comparison over time is misleading.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You are absolutely not being 100% honest. It isn't a 1 week event, but you are trying to talk about the effects of a policy with numbers that happened before the policy was fully implemented and treating them like they are current and an indication of the efficacy of the policy. That is not proper or honest.

Florida doesn't have "basically the same percentage numbers." The current test positivity rate is 3x. The current death rate is more than 3x, when controlling for population differences.

And Florida's unemployment rate is not "half the problem," whatever that even means. Michigan has 1.3% higher unemployment than Florida.

Everybody should be open to criticism, but it should be well-founded criticism. This isn't even close to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    what?!? They were planning to kidnap and kill her and your response is well look at the bad job she’s doing??

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. tilly

14 day changes Michigan:
    Deaths Up 7%
    Cases Up 28%

14 day changes Florida:
    Death Down 14%
    Cases Down 16%

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  10. tilly

I linked the unemployment data. And at no point am I being dishonest. I clearly said "As a whole". And your 7 day numbers only tell part of the story. The 14 day totals tell a different one.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. tilly

Um...no. I have (I believe four times now) condemned their actions.

12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Florida has 6.4% more folks in higher risk age-groups than Michigan. Mitigation measures can only go so far and cannot necessarily be judged based only on the end numbers since it's not an absolute correlation and cannot account for the behaviors of people despite measures. Deaths in Michigan occurred earlier when the medical community didn't know as much about treatment protocols but have come down dramatically, at a quicker rate. Deaths in Florida on the other hand surged over the summer and have stayed at considerably higher numbers since then.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And no clue how you get to "twice the problem with unemployment." Florida lost more jobs, although a lower percentage due to higher population. But not half the percentage.

You are evaluating a policy utilizing data from prior to the implementation of that policy as if it was a result of that policy. That is not proper and shows an inaccurate picture.

14 day moving averages of cases:

Michigan: 988
    Florida: 2301

14 day moving averages of deaths:

Michigan: 12
    Florida: 92

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    How did this become a Florida vs Michigan COVID debate?

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No, you're spinning numbers. Any objective look at Florida and Michigan shows that Michigan has done much better than Florida over the last 5 months or so. Michigan had a high death count early on, before any shut down could have had an impact. Since then, there is no comparison between MI and FL.

16. tilly

I know we see this differently, but thanks for making your point without personal shots or accusations of "dishonesty". I always appreciate that about you two.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    This is what happens when a poster hijacks a thread with dubious facts and numbers.

18. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Classic!! Bravo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Sounds like you’re offering justification based on your politics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tilly

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1