Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fawcett: Gators look at young big to fill roster spot

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by potomacgator, May 17, 2021.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    If he jj gets winded, we need a lot of duct tape to tie two guards together to play center. Imagine playing FSU just with jj as our only big, then he gets winded, too many fouls etc. the coach takes him out, their bigs will just throw it over our guys heads and the dunk fest would be on, humiliating to Gator fans. I don’t get a warm fuzzy feeling about this year coming up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Since, it looks like Castleton will stay in the draft, we should be in better position now to recruit an experienced big man from the transfer portal. However, we might have to wait until the deadline to leave the draft to see who we can sign. Hopefully we can retain Castleton and obtain another quality big man from the portal at that time. If Castleton does not return, White will probably try to sign two big men from the portal.

3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    The prospect of no Castleton is troubling. Need someone with length and skill who can run the floor ASAP. Even if we go small ball, we still need one on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa Premium Member

Nov 23, 2012
    It is sad and troubling that our program has reached the point that we would even find ourselves in this potential quandary. While we may not be able to compete w the blue bloods, we should STILL be able to attract a decent big every year or every other , to our team .

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Other than transfers, Payne was the only decent big White has ever attracted out of HS.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s hard to see Jitoboh playing more than 15-20 minutes a game even if we were desperate to have him do that for a size matchup.

So we would be quite screwed without Castleton. Even with Castleton we wouldn’t exactly have great front court depth, but at least we’d have a very solid SEC starter and a capable big body backup (if both stay healthy). So it’s sort of a typical situation for college teams that have middling front courts.

Basically with Castleton we would be in a “1 injury away” from having a problem type situation.

Without Castleton and just Jitoboh we wouldn’t even have that, we’d be already forced to play small ball likely 25-30+ minutes a game.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’d say having an elite scoring PG is up there. It’s the wings and volume shooters that seem to be a dime a dozen (and a lot don’t always work out if they relied on athleticism more than skill).

So every class should really be about bringing in a solid PG (hopefully that hits FT’s and 3’s at a high %) and a 6’8 or bigger big that can dominate the paint. White did bring in Nembhard, but not sure what’s going on in future classes. With all the comings and going’s with transfers in CBB it’s hard to get excited about anything relating to recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, the landscape of college basketball recruiting changed dramatically almost overnight. I'm not a big fan of it, and it'll be interesting to see if it returns to some sort of normalcy after this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe Jitoboh will surprise us. I’m guessing that he needs to lose 50 pounds while adding muscle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I’d love to see it. It would not only display a high level of commitment to his basketball career, but also make him a much better player and asset to the team. I honestly don’t understand why he wouldn’t dedicate himself to becoming more fit. He has a huge opportunity in front of him for the taking. Are the jelly donuts that important to risk missing his chance?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

MH - I have flashbacks to Stokes, hope I'm wrong and your right...............

12. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    I didn't realize CC was going to stay in the draft. That is REALLY bad if so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Oh wait... I’m not saying it will happen. I’m in the same boat as you. I hope it happens, but I’m not holding my breath. I also see the ghost of Stokes.

14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    The more recent photos of Stokes while he was at Memphis show a ripped big guy. I don’t know his current situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah, I heard Mike White flies to Memphis every weekend to work on Stokes’ conditioning and prepare his meals. Just shows how much the guy cares about his players past and present.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He's a good guy, and has potential, no doubt. Just has to put in more work than he ever imagined.

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    He did dhave a foot injury last season, if I recall. Maybe that affected his conditioning.

18. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I thought he was kicked off the Memphis team?

19. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I thought consensus was he’d be back. I think he has until July 7th or so to officially pull his name out. Unless I missed something

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The first team all big ten center pull his name out of the draft today. Good thinking. Work on your game and physicality and get ready to put your best foot forward. A lot of players want to be in the NBA, but a very small percentage ever stick.
    Hope Colin is having fun and ready to work at being the best center in the SEC, that would get him a worthy contract! Might even find him a lady that is smart and career minded. All good......