Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Favorite Gator Football moment you witnessed live

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tigator2019, Mar 22, 2022.

1. klgator

klgator Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Haven, FL
    My first favorite moment was in 1960 when Florida went for two and beat Georgia Tech 18-17.

gatormonk likes this.
  2. Blazergator

Blazergator Senior

Apr 10, 2007
    Any moment in the second half of the 1995 Tennessee game or the Johnson to Green pass late in the 1997 FSU game.

Zepgator likes this.
  3. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Mine was Tebow’s last game in the Swamp against FSU. When he ran on the field for the last time, cameras/phones flashed everywhere. It was surreal, glorious and sad all at the same time. A special moment.

TrueGator likes this.
  4. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    My favorite was my first game in the Swamp. I've seen some of the great memories shared here, such as the 06 Carolina game, the 08 Georgia game, and Tebow's last game in the Swamp, but you always remember your first time.

One of my favorites ended in a loss, but it was last year against Bama, singing with Petty. The stadium was freaking rocking.

I don't know what year it was, late 90s I think, but FAMU was the opponent. My dad's friend gave him two tickets, and that was a big deal because there was no way my dad could afford to buy two tickets at face value in those days. I've never had another moment like that.

A funny story about that game, one of the things I remember was all the fans leaving with about 5 minutes left in the second quarter, but returning just in time to catch the FAMU band.

ajoseph likes this.
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator Junior

Aug 15, 2016
    2007 National Championship game. Have lived in Ohio all my life but did my undergrad at Florida. Went to game with OSU friends that thought Bucknuts would easily win the game. Worst moment was when Ted Ginn ran back the opening kickoff. Best moment was the rest of the game.

phatGator likes this.
  6. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I have two. Freshman year watching the ole ball coach kick the winning field goal against Auburn. I was complaining to my date it was a stupid decision to let a qb attempt a field goal. Somebody tapped me on the shoulder and said, "you must a freshman because SOS is a lock" He was right on both counts. 2) Sitting at the Kentucky game with my head in my hands because we were going to lose. Then my wife yelled, "the white guy caught it, the white guy caught it" Of course, that was Chris Doering. I made my wife stay up and watch the reply on television so I could see the play.

2oldgator likes this.
  7. FusionGator

FusionGator All American

Nov 15, 2015
    Cock Block.
    I believe that is probably the loudest I've ever heard The Swamp.

8. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    I saw Tebows jump pass against LSU, that game was great, but the greatest moment live had go be the cock block. Without it we don't get that national title, and my ears were ringing all the way home it was so loud.

9. 2oldgator

2oldgator Sophomore

Jul 14, 2021
    I was a junior at UF when Spurrier kicked that field goal. I was sitting in the student section and I think I recall there was construction going on in the stadium that year. I also remember thinking at the time Coach Graves might have been better served letting our reliable kicker, Bob Lyle attempt the FG. So much for that. What a special moment!

3rdgengator and GatorMcCluskey like this.
  10. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Doug Johnson to Quez Green against FSU in '97. I was sitting in the south end zone about 60 rows up, and we all started going crazy as soon as the ball left DJ's hand and you could see Quezzie behind the defense.

I was actually worried that we scored too quick and left them too much time, but the defense stepped up and that was a wrap. Best Gator game I ever saw live.

11. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    This happened several times:

Spurrier called a timeout and was seen talking with Danny, Ike, Reidel, and Quezzie during the timeout.

The DBs on the other team had to be quaking in their shoes.

GatorMcCluskey likes this.
  12. MRG8R

MRG8R Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with OP. Made the trip, spent big bucks and was nervous as hell at halftime. Only time I've been in NO but what a special time it was. Never forget it.

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    I guess I’d have to go with 1999 vs Tennessee. My ears were ringing for a couple days after that one.

14. reptilenation

reptilenation Sophomore

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    A week in Miami for my sons 10th birthday ending with a win over Oklahoma. Great seats, great week.

15. CadGator

CadGator Senior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    1997 FSU Game when Dwayne Thomas Intercepted that pass to seal the win!
    I was in that endzone facing him when he intercepted the ball.
    As soon as the ball went into his arms everything felt like it went in slow motion.
    What a game!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    GatorMcCluskey likes this.
  16. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    The Cock Block. Didn't know it at the time but it enabled us to win our second natty.

The Tebow jump pass against LSU. Maybe the most memorable play of the Tebow years.

The Soak at Doak. Tebow with the garnet paint looking like blood was a badass image.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    3rdgengator likes this.
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Johnson to green 1997. No doubt.

Honorable mention - Tony George pick 6 of Manning.

18. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Reaves to Alvarez in 1969 and Lane Fenner catch in Tallahassee. They had beaten us until they didn't.

19. 3rdgengator

3rdgengator Premium Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Cock Block in ‘06. About 10 of us had first row tickets under the north upright...snuck a 20’ painters pole (which later became the flag pole visible in clips from that game) in the stadium the night before and taped it under the bleacher with our bourbon bags. CBS had the game and we made our sign say:

Cock
    Block in the
    Swamp

Showed it in the first quarter and the officer on the field said I was ejected if he saw it again. We blocked one kick, I asked him if I was allowed to display it now and he said “no”. When we blocked the second kick, he let me have at it. When we blocked the third as time was expiring he came and took a picture with us and the sign. One hell of a night in the Swamp my junior year. My profile pic is from that game.

GatorFanCF and lifetimeg8r like this.
  20. 68andioweya1

68andioweya1 Recruit

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    The christening of Bobby Bowden field by Ron Zook. i sat 50 yard line for that awesome game.