Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fast and Furious street takeovers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Sep 4, 2022.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    When a handful of roofing nails would be handy

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Except what they're proposing isn't a criminal forfeiture. They don't have to prove criminal behavior. It's theft.

3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I assume you have the revolver?

4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    at major intersections? yeah, perfect.:cool:

5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    So what’s your solution?

6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You may find it appalling, I find it to be a compromise and civilized solution compared to what I would like to do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If they're breaking the law, arrest them, charge them, and prosecute them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Does it involve murdering them, like you wanted to do with people crossing the border?

9. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    If necessary. Just legally fire bombing their cars for being a public nuisance would be good enough.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sounds like America isn't for you. I think you'd be much happier in an authoritarian country.

11. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    America is just fine for me. It's the direction you want to take it that will lead into the shitter.

12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I want freedom and justice. I can see how that might irk somebody who believes in summary executions for minor crimes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Yes I have an 1861 Navy Colt cap & ball revolver. Hollywood got it wrong on that pistol. You don't just fire 6 shots then put 6 cartridges in. You load it by pouring black powder in each cylinder one at a time then cram a ball of lead in and put a cap on the other end. It's fun to shoot but with no rifling in the barrel it ain't very accurate, but it is a big handgun and would scare the crap out of anybody seeing it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Other than 96, nobody is calling for “summary execution” type response.

You realize these are basically street gangs, right? They almost need to be treated as such. Interesting the original movie (before it turned into an over the top comic book-like franchise) was about an FBI agent whose job was to infiltrate an organized crime ring of street racers.

No I don’t think we should be “firebombing” cars. But if they get caught in the act street racing, that car needs to be towed away and I think destroying/disabling the racing car should be on the table as a deterrent. Obviously the problem is these groups scatter like roaches. Cops probably know who a lot of them are but they need to catch them in the act to do anything. I too think they need to be “caught” to administer Justice, I just also think the cops need to be pro-active to be able to do that.

I’m also not opposed to giving them “safe places” to go, which might be the best solution. Kind of like skateboarders who many considered a nuisance, but some pro-active cities decided to build them skateparks, a place to go. Although the liability for something like this is much higher, so probably not nearly as easy to get an “official” facility.

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Bringing up street gangs is only going to lose you points in my book.
    California Gang Laws Are Normalized Racism - The Appeal
    Police gang lists can have life-long impacts and are questioned by legal experts
    Arrest them, charge them, and convict them. Give them due process. Then, you can justify a forfeiture. Otherwise, taking or destroying their vehicles should be off the table. Civil asset forfeiture is repugnant, abusive, and should be unconstitutional. What y'all proposed earlier in this thread is a step further than civil asset forfeiture. And it almost certainly would violate the Constitution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m against civil asset forfeiture without due process. Such as when they find cash or other assets in a vehicle and assume it’s drug money. Without evidence, that ain’t right. In alot of cases we’ve all heard about, its practically theft by police departments. In “street racing” there isn’t this burden connecting the seemingly unrelated asset to the crime. The asset, the car, is being used to commit the crime. Either they catch the car in the act of racing or they don’t, if they do, the car itself becomes fair game imo.

If a car is caught doing 100mph (sometimes much more) and/or doing an illegal street race, that is a serious crime. That is not a ticket and let drive away offense, that is an arrest and take them to jail immediately offense, which means with the driver being taken into custody the car gets impounded. From jail they will be booked and processed, that is your due process. The cars in these cases are a not entirely a separate matter and as i said, are fair game. If your issue is the person needs to be convicted of the street racing related crimes before their car, the civil asset, is destroyed, i don’t have an issue with that due process playing out.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay. Arrest them. Charge them. Impound the car. Move to forfeit the car via criminal asset forfeiture (if allowed). And then give them due process. That's not what was proposed earlier in the thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    I shot one several years ago and it is fun. It does have a bit of an intimidation factor to it, and that long barrel helps with accuracy.

19. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Gotta go with GL here. Too much abuse by law enforcement. Make them give due process

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  20. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    One issue is you have to catch them. Popup races, suspects flee in different directions in fast cars. Sure, a bunch of high speed inner city chases. What could go wrong.

Roofing nails in Jax could be as normal as ladders in ATL ;)