Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Falling Behind.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swamp life, Oct 6, 2021.

1. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Re: Fla/Ga - The series has been painful for both fan bases over the years. Both sides have enjoyed the sweet taste of Glory too. The Hershel Walker years were rough for us Gators. We were a huge thorn in Georgia's despondent butts for that long stretch of 17 wins or whatever it was.

It is absolutely, hands down one of the best venues in college football. The Cocktail party. And over the years the games have been filled with the glory of victory and the agony of defeat.

The good thing about rivalries is when you are supposed to win often times you are unpleasantly surprised with an upset. Georgia is feeling pretty good about themselves this year. Too good? For the last few years the media has praised them. While they've been good, they haven't lived up to the hype. Maybe this is their year? It very well might be.

The kids will want it bad on both sides.

Spurrier said it is all about the QB's. Well, we'll see who shows up.

We will find out in the week of All Hallows Eve...

Go Gators. Beat the Dawgs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Senior

Nov 29, 2016
    You are right about Propst. My son-in-law played for him. Best coach he ever had he said. But integrity and believability? Nah

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

3. bkramer3

bkramer3 Premium Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Agreed. And we beat Georgia the last time we played!

• Like Like x 1
  4. stp_gator

stp_gator All American

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    Can we please clone Steve Spurrier? The older I get the more I realize what a rare gem he was. I remember him quoting the Chinese general in his own special way, “Like ol’ Sun Tsu said…”

I dug this up from the vault, Sept. ‘97 the week of the Tennessee game…
    “Sun Tzu talks about how to prepare for battle, how to get his soldiers, his troops, ready to fight their best. When you think about it, head coaches, in a way, are generals of armies. They have to get their players ready, not to go to war, but for battles each Saturday there’s a game. And Sun Tzu believed there was a right way to prepare and he believed there was a wrong way.”
    High Voltage

This is another good one, reflections from the older, mellower Spurrier: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spon...hares-advice-coaching-lead-example/863993001/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We may not score on them if AR isn't playing.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    ;);)
    Hey but we are #5 !!!! ;) In academia

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    At least not more than 10 pts, no matter how do you scheme it

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    FRom SDS: ESPN’s Football Power Index sets the Bulldogs’ odds of repping the East in Atlanta at an incredible 93.7%, the only real variables after last week’s 37-0 romp over Arkansas being whether they’ll be 12-0 when they get there and by how comfortable a margin.

And they're almost guaranteed a spot in the playoff unless they lose a regualr season game and again in the SECC game

9. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    UGA is the real deal this year...would be shocked if we can hang in there with them past 1Q.

10. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    The difference between Richt and Mullen is at least Richt won the SEC two times in first 5(?) seasons while we've only made it to the conference title game once in 4 seasons under Mullen so yes, I don't get the "he's our Mark Richt" comparison, but I think it's due to feeling like you're one the cusp of making the leap into being a year in and year out "elite ELITE" school results wise but end up falling just short.

The way YOU see it from an UGA fan perspective about Mullen is how quite a few of us see it about Mullen too because we feel he CAN do it, but he won't make what seems to be the obvious and necessary adjustments to do it. As you stated, and if you venture over to the awesome recruiting subforum, we all state that he needs to really take a huge uptick in prioritizing recruiting. It's frustrating because if you look at the 10 best current players on our team that he's recruited out of high school, the overwhelming majority will be the higher rated kids so it goes to show you that if he does get 5* or high 4* (or even expand it and say top 150 kids), they'll usually pan out and contribute early, often, and significantly. It's frustrating but MSU fans DID warn us of possible "purgatory" under Mullen but we were so over McElwain that we ignored it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    We should out-recruit those two schools by the end of this cycle but the preponderance of talent is at IMG and UF can't seem to get a foothold there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    I don't see them as comparable. Richt had teams good enough to win it all but would blunder it away. I've said it before but I see Mullen more like Kirk Ferentz. He generally produces competent teams and gets the most out of his talent but does not have the ceiling to win at the highest level.

FWIW when Mullen just signed his most recent extension, Atlanta and UGA radio was happy because they don't see him as a legitimate threat.

13. DomiGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Are we getting most everyone else we want outside IMG? Seriously?

14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Mullen's a good coach overall and a great Xs and Os guy, but we need to understand that he's not some uniquely brilliant coach who can single-handedly close the talent gap with opposing teams. This is the SEC -- schools here tend not to hire literal morons to coach their teams, and they tend to fire those guys quickly when they do make it onto the field. Clever playcalling is great, but it only gets you so far when the other team is bigger and faster.

Of course, what's more important is that Mullen understands that. Guys with his background can be prone to thinking that their offensive brilliance is so great that it can overcome just about anything, and Mullen seems inclined to that view as well. A championship-caliber college football program requires more than just good QB coaching and a smart gameplan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DawgFanFromAlabam

DawgFanFromAlabam GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    To be fair, Richt won his 2 SEC BEFORE Saban got to Bama.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I know, which is why I mentioned those occurred in his first 5 seasons at UGA. While Saban wasn't there and UF was going through the Spurrier to Zook and then Meyer transition, Saban was at LSU and UT was still very formidable so it wasn't like the SEC for UGA when Richt got there was still a walk in the park.

17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Well, I find all of the footsball stats mighty interesting, but...on any given Saturday...

All it takes is an injury here, a sack there, an interception over yar. A blocked kick while you were texting your bro and the game is headed in a whole different direction!

Not to mention a late hit, ejection, false start or a goal line stop. Then there's always the wide right. Yikes.:eek:

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Yeah, UGA is great. UF hasn't beaten them since last year and they just won a Natty as recently as 1980. Hard to keep up when that stuff is happening.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

And that is a very good thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Mullen brought in 7 kids who are 5 *
    ‘Clever’ ?????

I have a question for you. How many five stars are on the team right now?

How many in the five years before him?

SMH

his offenses are ELITE.
    2020. - 2nd in nation passing. #1 yards per game passing. Total yards? 4th in nation

2021 Running

#4 in nation
    #1 in the SEC

This is Spurrier esque level of genius

And CDM retooled from December to August. 2 dozen practices.

2018-6th SEC
    2019-4th
    2020-2nd
    2021-1st as of today

Mike Leach is ‘clever’

In 2017 UF offense was 13th in the SEC

UF’s offense was on life support before CDM.

2016- dead last

2014- 2nd to last

2013- dead last

2012 -11th

I get it. It’s de riguer to trash a transformative play caller. it’s much easier to completely 100% ignore the positive and focus only on the negative.

this team absolutely sucked on offense for nearly a decade.

10 wins. 11 wins. That’s not clever that’s imposing you will on other teams

There is much work to do but for goodness sake some of these posts are just mind-bogglingly Devoid of facts.

for recruits, the facilities are average right now. The locker room is OK. The stadium while loud is nothing special in terms of amenities let’s be honest. UGA and others upgraded with lights. LIGHTS- how hard is a lights upgrade

Northwestern has nicer facilities. NORTHWESTERN! Illinois as well. TCU even.

anyone who thought that they were going to be an overnight fix for the suckage that we had is living in fantasyland

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1