Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Fake news about celebrities for commercial purposes

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A banner ad has been running on Swamp Gas about Bret Baier being suspended by FoxNews for talking about his erectile dysfunction on TV and what some ED product has done for him.

This is nothing new. There are similar ads on the Web about other celebrities with the same story. How they've gotten in trouble for talking publicly about their ED and the wonderful product they have used.

This is a legal mystery to me. I don't understand why Baier and others who are being exploited commercially this way through completely phony stories can't sue these people into oblivion. Maybe one of our lawyers here can explain.

Here's the banner-linked "news" about Baier:

https://expressionismbuilt.com/prod...6F_-Q-JUmi07VWxeBZesqL5TtiLpDfx8aAsBQEALw_wcB

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Have not seen that banner. I guess it shows you banners based on previous search history

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. flgator2

flgator2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL, I haven't seen it either. But we do have a lot of retired old guys here who spend a lot time researching, no wonder their so grumpy

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Would explain why he is the one Fox News anchor not accused of sexual harassment.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    A friend of mine saw the banner and pointed it out to me. I had to go to his computer to see it.

6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I found this ointment that said on the instructions "must be applied by buxom 20-year old redhead." It worked!

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Tell your “friend” about getRoman dot com. ;)

That radio commercial is on all the time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    These ads using celebrities appear on websites that are cluttered with ads, which look to be news stories with titles that entice you to click on them. The one I remember was about Michael Douglas (maybe the first one I saw), and the title was something like "Michael Douglas dies."

I can't identify one of these websites right now, because I happen upon them occasionally when I click on a legitimate story about something. But I assume that once you see one of these "stories" and click on it, more may then appear on your computer.

I have not done any web searches myself on ED products because I have a standalone program installed.

Anyway, to repeat myself, it baffles me how they get away with these "news stories."

[​IMG]

9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I've seen similar ads using Erin Andrews where the story is she got fired from her TV job for spilling the beans about her husband needing a little help in the bedroom. You can't even find it in a Google search now, but I know I saw it. These advertisers are dirtbags.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    And I guess Erin saw it and chuckled, like Baier and Douglas when they see their own personal stories. What else can they do?

11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As are tv commercials.

12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is the CEO of said product a Pub voter and Trump supporter? Probably...

13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Ads without the permission of the person used in the ads are a misappropriation. Common law Tory is called invasion of privacy- misappropriation. Many states have statutes codifying the tort. May be other torts too. Gotta track down who ran them and sue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks. But seems to me this is more than misappropriation. These are not just ads but false stories. I would think slander or libel would be more appropriate. Doesn't matter what a false story is about if it's patently false and not simply someone's mistake. But I'm not a lawyer. And if it doesn't bother Bret, Michael, Erin et al, then I guess they can say what they want.

BTW here's the Michael Douglas "news story." (Note that the website is "foxnews-publish.com," which obviously has no connection to FoxNews nor to any of the other media which it claims has covered the story.)

Fox News: Dr Recommended ED Permanent Solution for All Men

15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Could be a libel. But not worth it. For example, if the plaintiff really has ED, truth is a defense. Misappropriation is easier and takes care of the claims and damages. Irrelevant of it is true.

16. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I suppose the plaintiff would have to prove in court that he doesn't have ED. Which reminds me of a line from Blazing Saddles. ("Pardon me while I...")

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There are many of these types of websites. They often run as "sponsored" (at least on sites that I visit, most of them legit media and other types of sites). They are part of a seeming class of "context advertisers." I can think of three off the top of my head, zergnet, taboola, and Google's adsense. You can learn a lot about which companies are providing what and who is tracking your online behavior by installing ghostery (in addition to any ad blocker you might have for your browswer). I'm less concerned about their misappropriating some celebrity image or running some national enquirer type story, than about being tracked across the internets.