Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

F-35

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Jan 30, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plenty of stories years ago that it would never be effective. Then so many allies took delivery without those stories out there that I assumed (wrongly) it had been worked out. Not so.

Parenthetically, there is a larger issue of whether all manned fighters are obsolete, esp compared to swarms of much cheaper unmanned.

But still this

F-35’s Gun That Can’t Shoot Straight Adds to Its Roster of Flaws

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Pentagon finds flaws in new F-35 amid increasing orders: report

Read about this earlier in the day. Mission capable rate of just 65%. Now, the F-35 is at a disadvantage with that metric due to it being multi-mission capable, but 65% is a horrible number for a newer aircraft.
    "As of November, the plane had 873 software deficiencies flagged in the review, down from 917 as of September 2018, the news outlet reported."

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    This boondoggle is too big to fail. They have already spent too much, so they will continue to throw more good money after bad until they get it close to right. By then it will be an entirely new plane design.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Some truth to this. Also, the development pipeline is sooooo long it is not like they can bring in a replacement anytime soon.
    Boondoggle is spot on. I was never on the procurement side, but this seems painful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Call me old-fashioned, but if there is one thing I'd say is important in a gun it is an ability to shoot straight.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cmon man, get with the times. Straight is an outdated concept

7. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I just tried desperately to come up with something clever to say linking straight guns, the anti-gay catholic school thread, and some non-PC school shooting joke. But alas, I couldn't make it happen

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Performance issues?
    o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    By the way, I will no longer defer to you or any actual person with military experience on any issues military. Because I've read a lot of books, more than 25 even. Though I've never served, that makes me an expert over all of you now.;)

10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

11. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    He knows more than the generals, so I believe him

12. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida/North Carolina
    $428 BILLION and counting. This is unconscionable. This is where the swamp is, but it is an ecosystem of its own and can no longer be drained.

13. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter! Premium Member

Please tell me he said that tongue in cheek? Or it's been twisted for effect?

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Afraid not. He’s said multiple times that he thinks stealth aircraft are literally invisible