Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Extremely frustrated with our recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by fuzzygator, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm thinking that Dan's primary bias was to bring as many trusted staff with him as possible to limit the number of variables he has to tackle at UF. His staff are known quantities to him, for better or worse, and he knows what he can count on from each of them. If they can't get it done in recruiting at championship level, I believe he'll make changes down the line, but continuity and stability of his staff was a big deal to him it appears. Other coaches go far and side to build a staff, and guy's like Saban turn them over quickly if they don't perform. I'm guessing DM will manage his staff to shore up coaching and/or recruiting issues over time.

On a totally random note, it dawned on me that Nick Savage might be a good recruiter. Is he permitted to recruit?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    To be fair, most of the turnover isn’t Sabans choice but he runs a tight ship and has a nice pool to choose from.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Savage should not have the time to recruit and he is not permitted to recruit.

I agree that CDM knows that Sieder is a far better recruiter than Knox and that there are a lot of better recruiting OL coaches than Hevesy, but CDM knew that we would have to make the running game work the first year if not longer, and the installation of a new offense would need the continuity of Knox and Hevesy coaching together. I expect every position to be more fundamentally sound this year than the previous 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That was really the only way to move into year one. Mullen knows he has to show improvement on O this year to have a shot at recruiting the way he wants. Period. He doesn't need a juggernaut, but year 9 of garbage ball will kill all enthusiasm and momentum and greatly increase the odds he's a placeholder coach.

This has always been about coaching up an underachieving program to noticeable improvement from the get go, then letting everything else flow from that in years 2 and 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Then what's your point in complaining at this juncture? What do you want to accomplish? You think your griping is going to make Mullen and his staff recruit better? Do you think complaining is going to make kids want to sign with us? Do you think that makes recruits feel good about our program and Mullen. Do you think your whining is going to cause Stricklin to lecture Mullen or start buying players?

The real question here is this: What do you complainers think you are accomplishing?

And I'll wait until signing day to judge Mullen's class. In the meantime, I won't be freaking out or bashing the program.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Complaining on the internet is "proactive"? In what way? How does it help? What does it accomplish or prevent?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You call it complaining, I call it making an observation.

And newsflash, no opinions, or observations, or complaining, or cheerleading on this board accomplish anything, ever. It's a discussion about recruiting. I'm done with this one though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't really look at the raw ranking right now because there are a lot of teams with a better ranking who are filling up with more numbers of recruits than UF now but will be ranked below UF at the final signing date. We should be in the teens, probably not as good as last year, which troubles me, but likely with a pretty good percentage of blue chippers and players that will contribute.

A fan base that has more room to gripe is Clemson. They are ranked higher than UF mostly because of the number of recruits, but quality is really similar to ours and would look really weak if they did not have Ladson. They should be able to sell that they are very nearly removed from a national championship. A problem I see that may contribute to their lower ranking is that a team like Bama jettisons the players who are not contributing, making room for playing time for big time recruits, while Dabo has developed players and kept them on the team, making some of his classes smaller and making his roster looked stacked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably true but good>great coaches have an eye for hiring assistants that are upwardly mobile, not career position coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    That’s a great point.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    True but it’s no secret that Liffen, cristobal and the like can coach. They line up just like the recruits

12. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    Clemson is doing OK. Dabo isn't as win at all cost like Saban, and doesn't gray shirt then toss underachievers. Under Richt UGA recruited well but seemed stuck at a certain level. Kirby has given UGA hope to being the next Bama, so it is harder for Clemson to beat them for a recruit. However Clemson is still having some success recruiting nationally.

13. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I think that OK is the best to describe their recruiting, while I would think it would be at Georgia's and Alabama's level this year. I am not even sure how many underachievers there are at Clemson. They seem to do a pretty good job of recruit evaluation, development and retention. They are forced to be a national recruiter like Tennessee because there is just not enough talent in the state. They are losing the battles in Georgia this year to UGA in recruiting. Yes, Saban's approach with players is swim or sink.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    What Clemson does....and I think a lot of schools could focus on the same strategy, is simple: they recruit well along the LOS and they bring in talented QBs. Their classes are usually inside the top 15, but not inside the top 5. It's a simple strategy. Honestly, you need OL's and DL's to win in college football....so if you do that well AND grab a dynamic QB you will be competing for conference titles regularly, which will put you in the playoff (especially if you win the SEC).

It's going to be hard to recruit like Alabama, UGA, and Ohio State. I think Jimbo might be able to pull it off (having top 5 classes regularly), but there aren't many other "elite" recruiters out there like those 4. There are good recruiters, obviously (like Muschamp, Dabo, Riley, and a few others) but only a handful of elite. If we want to get to that category we need to purge the MSU staff Mullen brought w/ him (at least 2 need to go).

15. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    I think that is a good point. That is why I think Slaton is such a huge key to the defense over the next two years. He could limit what offenses are able to do to us. On the side of the offense, we will have to hope that Mullen can make something happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Except people like going to Nashville. Starkville, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Fisher at A&M is a bit of a mystery to me. First of all, while he will probably still look the other way with a troublesome star player, I highly doubt he's stupid enough to allow another Winston type to bring scandal to his program again. A lot of folks don't have a any idea how much trouble and frustration Winston caused Fisher behind the scenes while he was at fsu, but Fisher also knew his success at that time in his coaching gig at fsu was tied firmly to Winston's coat tails.

Then Winston leaves, as does a number of the more talented supporting cast around him, and he rides another star player's coat tails (Dalvin Cook) to some moderate success the next two years, and then he was done.

Fisher benefitted from a very establish recruiting base put in place by Bowden, recruited with Bowden for years before BB stepped down, and had FAMU, a closely available nightclub scene, and beaches at Destin, St. George, and PC within 90 minutes drive to help him recruit. I want to see how well hes doing three uears from now to really assess his impact on the West Division.

But in Texas, theres a lot of recruits to go around.

I still say fsu ran off a very good, although very shady coach in Fisher and arent going to like the drop-off they'll eventually see with Taggart.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah man, Clemson has been sooo extremely fortunate in their QB recruiting. They absolutely nailed that position for what? A decade? They may have a bum for a year but (wo looking anything up) it truly feels like it's been at least a decade. Their quarterback position has been rocking and it doesn't seem as if it's going to slow down anytime soon.

I also agree that their offensive line and defensive line have been pretty bad ass for about a decade or so. Good times in Clemson right now good times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    S
    omething tells me our qbs would have been at least serviceable if we had some coaching. It’s not like fitz is Brisset or what’s his name.

20. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, wo getting too deep into that issue I wouldve loved to have seen Jacoby coached up at UF, Driskel coached up, etc...but to me, it seems like Clemson has had a decade of good to great qbs that have kept them playing at a high level for quite some time.

BTW, have you checked your PMs? See what info i sent you?