Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Extremely frustrated with our recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by fuzzygator, Jul 5, 2018.

1. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Totally reasonable and constructive assertions. Don't disagree at all. And yet as for now.....I'm pretty happy with the hopeful direction of this program

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Eh...I think this assessment leaves out a lot of factors. Outside of bama there werent many if any top 10 perennial programs in the south and definitely not florida until the advent of air conditioning. In the 80s we were a power until the ncaa wielded their hand. I think its not unreasonable for a school today with the reputation and resources that we have to belong in the top 10 and certainly top 20 year in and year out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Programs ebb and flow. Bama is having a run that won't be duplicated in the modern era. Saban was masterful at exploiting the Bama advantage, but even they will throttle down. Most programs get 3-5 year arcs in the upper tier.

The real key is keeping the lows from being catastrophic dips and making them short in duration. Something that wasn't handled well at UF over this decade. No reason to expect less than the '90-'06 window at UF as the standard, as far as wins go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    agree with the last paragraph wholeheartedly.

I just don't put too much stock into the talent composite. It says 2 of our best players are Frank's and clayton.

Recruiting to me us a forest. You need a forest. You need some big trees. But it's not worth examining every tree in the forest. You can guess, and be pretty close most of the time, but we (and 247) dont exactly know how strong these trees are.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Then we hired the wrong coach. Most coaches dont recruit as well as meyer or saban's. We need talent, but I would not expect our classes to be filled like that again. We can get close, I think we hired a process. Not a day one best ever recruiter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm afraid you are right. If he can't get top 15 in his first full cycle this year, and at least top 10 every year after, we won't win a NC with him. Top 15 will compete week in and out if he's a great coach, but will lose a couple too.. Hard to believe he doesn't realize he needs a couple of ace recruiters on staff since he can't get it done.

7. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Soooooo much handwringing.....

8. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Hes had a top 15 class every year hes been here, no reason to believe this year will be any different. Also no reason to believe a combination of solid on-field performance, less negative off field issues, and improved facilities wont have a positive impact on recruiting going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Every class has busts....but I'd rather have to choose between four 4 or 5-star QBs than choose from a 2-star (Trask), a 3-star (Allen), and a 4-star (Franks), and a true freshman. Same for OL and any other position group: if this 4-star is a bust, let's try the other 4-star vs. well, this 3-star is a bust, this 3-star is serviceable, this 3-star is a bust, this 3-star needs a year, this 4-star is a bust, etc.

People will point out the 3-stars on our roster (or other rosters) that become stars. For teams w/ the majority of their rosters are 3-star or below, they have to play somebody.....and after 2 years as a starter, some of those 3-stars become very productive - but if they were on an Alabama they likely transfer after a year or two due to a lack of being able to move up the depth chart.

Every team has 4-star busts (and 5-star busts), but it's been proven over and over again that having a higher talented roster the more likely you are to win. This is the argument that the "stars don't matter" crowd constantly tries to make. It's a losing argument....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Who was the right coach? I can hardly wait.

Mullen hasn't coached a down as head coach of the Gators, and already the vampires are sucking the blood out of him and his program. And the blood suckers think that they are doing something important, and that everyone wants to hear their sad negativism.

Threads like this make me really dislike this board because it provides a forum for self important neg heads to spend all day whining.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The jury is out! The time to fret is now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Hall of Fame

Feb 10, 2016
    If 10 wins every year is below anyone's expectations they are aiming too high and will almost certainly be disappointed if, or much more probably, when that doesn't happen. Will an SEC championship every 3-5 years be enough for you? It will certainly be enough for me. The competition both on the field and in recruiting is so close now that it's hard to expect dominance unless you're Alabama, Ohio St., Clemson (for now) or Oklahoma (dominance in the Big 12) and even Ohio St. isn't as dominant as Alabama in their conference at this time. UF can be a dominant team in a few years but to expect it is really a bit much.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually, we weren't really a power in the 80s. We lost a minimum of 4 games every year except for:
    83: 9-2-1 (tied USC, lost to Auburn and UGA) Finished #6
    84: 9-1-1 (opened season 0-1-1 with loss to Miami and tie to LSU) Finished #5
    85: 9-1-1 (tied Rutgers, made it to #1 for one week then got bombed by Georgia) #3

Prior to SOS those three years (27-4-3 .791) were the Golden Era of UF football. In his last three years SOS went 29-9 (.763). In 2001 UF he lost the 9-11 delayed Tenn game after Dockett-gate. UF finished #3 and fans were bellyaching about how Florida was no longer 'elite'.

The reason Florida fans can't have nice things is Florida fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    UF just hasn’t had quality stability at the head and assistant levels combined with relentless effort. Turn over kills us.

15. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    a
    Maybe there wasn't a NC caliber HC available and we was the best option. That can be a reality as well.

Vampires sucking the blood out of him? Self important neg head? All day whining? LOL. Get over yourself. God forbid every recruiting discussion on the recruiting board isn't shunshine pump and rainbows. That would really be annoying. Everyone on this thread will give him well deserved props if he turns this class around.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator GC Legend

Jun 16, 2018
    I said I wouldn't reply but your post really got me to. Thanks.

2019 Team Rankings

What's that say? Here, I'll help you. It says 34th. Is that acceptable to you? Yes, I know it is July and the class isn't over. But today, here and now...is that acceptable to you?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It's nothing to me, because signing day hasn't come.

But boo hoo and hand wring all you want in the meantime.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  18. LFGator

LFGator Junior

Aug 4, 2015
    I don't think people are expecting only sunshine pump and rainbows but like many others on this thread, I don't see a reason to lose control of my bowels in July when the coach hasn't even coached a game yet. Have we started with 10 5 star studs? No. Is it still July? Yes. I am much more interested in seeing how we look on the field than I am with recruiting right now and they haven't even started fall practice yet.

I think the frustration is with your last sentence. Why not give him a chance to close strong before going negative and crazy? Why is he (and us) subjected to all the negativity in July? I think most rational people are taking a wait and see approach with Mullen as he's trying to rebuild an entire mindset within the program. In all honesty, at this point in the game, I just want to hear facts. Who's committed, who's visiting, and who we are targeting. All the crystal balls and prognostications about who "might" go where is basically meaningless at this point with an entire season to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ballastpointgator

ballastpointgator GC Legend

Jun 16, 2018
    Is anyone saying to fire him? I'm not sure stating he needs to do better than 34th is hand wringing or boo-hoo'ing. Is 34th acceptable to you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    No one has said fire him but there are a few who keep saying we hired the wrong guy. As far as 34th? Of course I'd rather be higher but given the context of our situation it doesn't mean much to me at the moment. We have a great year on the field and we stay 34th? I'm concerned. We have a bad year on the field and we stay 34th I'm flat out worried

• Like Like x 1