Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Extremely frustrated with our recruiting

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by fuzzygator, Jul 5, 2018.

1. fuzzygator

fuzzygator Recruit

Jul 5, 2018
    Both Rivals and 247 have us at #31 right now. I couldn't tell you where ESPN has us because non-subscribers can only view the top 15. I just don't understand why we're struggling so badly while so many other schools can change coaches and they don't skip a beat. Texas A&M, FSU, Oregon, even Mullen's former team Mississippi State all seem to be doing just fine with their new staffs.

Some will say "it's early", but look at how many Rivals top-100 kids have already committed. 58 of the 100, and we're barely into July. With the new early signing period, you're going to see near-full classes by September.

I do like the style of play Mullen will bring (back) to us, but recruiting is going to have to pick up if we want any chance of competing with the big boys.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Why? It's fricking July. If we're still outside the top 20 in mid February then I will be frustrated.

• Agree x 6
    • Disagree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. zman-1

zman-1 GC Legend

Mar 5, 2017
    West of the equator
    Why, Crl, a moment of clarity! Well done.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    And this is your first post? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I'm worried because the OP is 'extremely' frustrated; not just normal frustrated.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We could pack our class with the lower players on our board and go up the all important summer rankings? The guys at the top of our board are in wait and see mode. I suggest some patients.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    We're closer to the 2018 recruiting class than we are to the 2019 recruiting class...Mullen showed he was a good closer last signing day so expect the same this signing day. His 1st class at UF was more highly regarded than any of his 9 classes at MSU, we're in on a ton of players that would never have considered MSU, and he's demonstrated his ability to take his recruiting to the next level.

Regardless of recruiting, what happens on the field in 2018 is far more important to the future of Gator football than our recruiting ranking for 2019 in the middle of the summer, 7 months from signing day.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. fuzzygator

fuzzygator Recruit

Jul 5, 2018
    I'm just wondering where the excitement is. School gets a completely new staff with a young-ish charismatic coach in Mullen, and yet we're not seeing the "I wanna be part of THAT!" from the recruits. It's been nothing but sluggish. Mac had the #1 ranked '19 class before he was let go, and now with Mullen we're down to #31. Why?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    None of the teams you listed Fuzzy are coming off a 4-7 season. Would it be nice to be toward the top of the rankings now? Yes. Does it matter now? No. The product on the field improves and all the pieces will fall into place. I wouldn’t worry too much about it right now.

• Like Like x 3
  10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    What should we do with our new patients?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was thinking maybe tour a children's hospital for some media pub. I took it 15 was writing a prescription for what ails our recruiting worries. It does the heart good to see smiles on the faces of young kids who need our help. Don't forget to drink the Kool-Aid on the way back to reality. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

UF has sucked (relatively speaking) for these kids' entire football lifetime. UF has been 4 win team twice in the last 5 years. Which is likely the same span 99% of the recruits have been paying attention. The program has also been pilloried continually by both media and fans.

Better gird the old loins, because recruiting isn't going to shine until Mullen proves he can put an exciting product on the field. He's going to have to coach his way out of this hole to get momentum going.

Probably should wait until 2021 to start getting frustrated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    Yep. And no nice facilities or easy academics to bail him out. NTM all the Gator haters out there using social media to poison these kids' minds. I'd be willing to wager a hefty sum we have the most haters out there of any school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I'm always clear. It's others who are often clouded. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Mullen is an average recruiter by SEC standards. People at MSU and the SEC West have said that for years. Great developer of talent, so-so recruiter.

He brought a similar staff to the smoldering crater that is Florida football. Do the math.

That being said I bet things aren’t as bad as the current rankings indicate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    Welcome to the board Coach Mac, hope the Michigan boys are enjoying your PBJs as much as our guys did.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Recruiting is not for the feint of heart. It is an emotional roller coaster if you are living and dying on the whims of 17-18 year olds. Here are a couple of my opinions pertaining to UF and recruiting in general.

Of all the top 100 kids committed today, many of them will sign with a school they are not currently committed to.

UF always, and I'm not sure why, signs their top guys late and I know there are exceptions but it seems to be a trend of several years.

Many of the top kids this year are waiting to see how UF looks on the field.

I can based on history almost guarantee that UF will get at least one or more kids that are committed to another school right now.

UF will finish top 15 IMHO and I would put money on it.

Take the top 15 ranking and feel good about it as UF is doing well with 2020 kids.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nic

Nic GC Hall of Fame

Jan 26, 2010
    Simple he needs to win on the field and show some excitement in the offense. Do that this year the recruits will come. Most of the people in that #1 class left due to the coaching change, so basically fell before Mullen even came on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Fuzzy, as a long-time follower of Recruiting (of all types, not merely Athletic as most on this board are limited to), I can tell you Absolutely Without a Doubt that: "The Sky IS NOT FALLING!"

Further, regarding all such measures (e.g. rankings), which are, at worst Pathetically Poor Measures and at best Mediocre Estimates of performance (except for the top 25 or so ranked kids each year), as others have noted, it is the total number that determines your ranking, not the underlying quality. I'm very satisfied with the QB and Linemen, and OLB that have committed (7 of 11 commits), although not as much with the others.

To give simple example of the fallacy of looking only at Silly Rankings, as your are, Iowa State, TCU, Duke, Virginia and Iowa are currently ranked above the Gators on 24/7, merely due to having more commits UF (4 4*, 7 3*), Iowa State (0 4*, 16 3*), TCU (1 4*, 13 3*), Duke (1 4*, 14 3*), Virginia (1 4*, 15 3*), Iowa (2 4*, 12 3*).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gjgator

gjgator Sophomore

Jan 21, 2017
    Before the season starts, we’ve got a solid chance of landing:
    -One (maybe 2?) four star TE’s- Keon Zipperer, Billingsley (visiting for FNL) and/or Ethan Rae
    -4 Star WR- Elijah Higgins
    -Two 4 Star DE’s- Lloyd Sumerall and FSU commit Quashon Fuller
    -3-4 Star CB Chester Kimbrough
    -3 Star LB Marcus Tillman (former UF commit)
    That would put us up to 17-18 commits before the season starts,8-10 4 stars depending on recruiting site
    -maybe still a chance with Mycah Pittman and anyone else that may commit that’s not listed, could commit before the summer as well
    -still have guys like Sanders, Elam, Stevenson and K Jones that’s recruitment will go on longer, most likely

I get the frustration, hard to see top targets go elsewhere but the recruiting cycle is far from over..... biggest concerns for me is the safety board and landing another top OL, like K Jones

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1