Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Experimental Offense

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jeffphillips21, Nov 12, 2019.

1. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    I agree....just telling you what he said he saw

2. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Shameless plug for my expected shot value article here but I actually think the numbers would surprise you in the fact that only 7 shots were in late clock (final 5 seconds) situations and 4 of them were really good looks. When I watched the game in real time I agreed with most of you, I thought it was bad shots late in the clock but when I rewatched it possession by possession there was actually a ton of bad shots forced early in the clock.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    How many of those early shots were due to the frustration of the offense not flowing though? I refuse to re-watch the game but my memory was that we started jacking up shots in particular the 2nd half when we were already down about a dozen. At that point some of the guys were just giving up.

4. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Chris Harry touches on it here:
    UF didn't bring the 6-foot-10 Blackshear, the nation's No. 1 graduate-transfer and the program's best "big" since Al Horford, into the fold to use as a decoy while his teammates dribbled aimlessly around the perimeter and settled for bad late-clock shots.

Though that's what it looked like against the Seminoles.

"He was open the whole game — the whole game," UF coach Mike White said of Blackshear.

5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Another comment made by White that leaves me puzzled as to what game he was watching. I didn't see Blackshear open all game, but even if he were that's on White if Blackshear isn't getting the ball enough.

6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Post-FSU Gators Need More KJ Post Touches - Florida Gators

The link for reference. He does say some good things, though remains to be seen how it translates to his players' performance on the court.

7. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Again, my opinion is that White struggles, in games, in the heat of the battle, to clearly see what is not working and immediately take steps to fix it...largely due to being so focused on the gameplan coming in/advanced metrics/play sheets he is always staring at in games...should not take film sessions to see all of this and address it IMO...it is not that I think he is incapable, but he needs to trust his game prep/advance scouting, and once the game tips, be focused 100% on the court what is going on, and fixing deficiencies and stopping runs...always strikes me as odd that a guy that runs arguably the best OOB plays in CBB, struggles to run any semblance of a coherent and organized O...his OOB plays have structure, multiple options, and safety/bail out options when needed...all things that seemingly are not present much of the time in his O

• Like Like x 2
  8. texas gator

texas gator Recruit

Sep 5, 2017
    Austin, Texas
    Hey Guys,

Love to see the discussion and add my 2 bits from an avid basketball player who should have stopped a few years ago. :)

Basketball Offense has two distinctive pieces and I think we aren't handling either well against a team as long as FSU.

First: Transition - Seemingly we have little to no transition game. In my years playing and coaching casual leagues we pressured the other team's offense/defense to get back on transition. Even if all we did was rush up the court and then wait for the big guys to catch-up. The number of transitions baskets can truly build during a game and become easier as the opposing team becomes tired/lazy. We seem to rebound, hold, pass to AN, and then progress up the court without much hurry. Please don't read this to say we have no transition baskets I just would not consider us a quick transition team.

Second: Half-Court offense - Half court offense should be built around the players on the team. AN is a great addition to Gator b-ball although I would not say he is a great ball handler or has that quick first step for breaking down Top 20 team defenders. Mann might be able to break down the first defense along with Scotty although only time will tell. DDO offense requires beating the first defender. I would consider us to have pick and roll players with even some iso to Blackshear thrown in for alternate offensive sets. Blackshear broke down quite a few FSU defenders and went to the free throw line quite a bit.

I feel for Noah as he is struggling with the 3-point line. I've gone through those slumps and nothing is more frustrating.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    That could definitely have played a role. If there isn’t confidence that running the offense will get a good shot a player definitely might have tried to force something tough

10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Forgot about the game. Almost out the door for dinner and my wife mentioned the game was on . Glad to see it but it didnt look like a win, although the score says otherwise.

Lots of confusion but that can be fixed with proper time. Still, dont understand why the coach seems so hard headed and committed to avoid playing zone when if works. Getting beat off the dribble is no substitute. Shoot, the team couldnt out pass the Towson defense to get a good shot. Out rebounded. Kind of ugly game.

11. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Cincy;
    Just one person's opinion, but we were sitting in the ozone layer in section #225 and had a pretty good view of the action. Coach White's description on "open all day" might mean that he was open enough to get an entry pass in to him (which he was IMHO) so we could get our offense started. I believe CW wanted to use Blackshear as the focal point to create opportunities of him or his teammates. For some reason we hesitated almost every time to throw that entry pass.
    But if he meant "open all day" to get a quick shot off, I totally agree with your assessment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Here's the dilemma we face there. Blackshear is a clear finesse athlete. So the windows of opportunity are slim if we're trying to give him post feeds, especially against the size and length FSU possesses. Also we were telegraphing those passes. I think White meant to say Blackshear could've scored all day. He was clearly not open all day on the block however. Have him work from the outside in against a team like that, but instead we were constantly trying to feed him on the block which was exactly what FSU wanted us to do.

13. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    I gotta say, I did see him open for an entry pass allot during the game. Not to score, but to start an inside/out, then maybe back inside offense set and we hesitated to make the initial entry pass. We may be in an agree to disagree moment. Regardless, it was an ugly, ugly game.

• Agree Agree x 1