Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Expectations

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by EastTNG8TR, Jul 16, 2019.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR All American

Feb 1, 2011
    Just wanted to start a thread to get a little discussion going on everyone's expectations for the upcoming season especially since it is finally a full roster of Cam's players... A few questions and my thoughts on each:

1. Who do you think the starting 5 SHOULD be to start the season?
    1. Kiki Smith
    2. Danielle Rainey
    3. Lavendar Briggs
    4. Kristina Moore
    5. Emer Nichols

2. Who will be the team MVP?
    Rainey.... but Briggs may be right there with her by the end of the season.

3. Most improved?
    A few I think are possible.... Moore with a year of experience and coming back healthy and Kiki I think are the two most likely. Would love to see Zada become a more consistent post player for us as well. De'Oliviera is another that could be interesting to see how she develops and where she fits in on the roster.

4. Which new player (transfer or freshmen) are you most excited to see?
    Lavendar Briggs I think may end up being a special player.... but I am curious to see how Dut and Nichols look out there as well.

5. Biggest key to turning things around this season?
    Obviously having a good post game would be nice and we have some size and depth for a change BUT for me I think the key focus has to be TURNOVERS. I am hoping Kiki, Dani, and Ari with a year under their belts and the addition of some highly rated young guards allows us to be much better here. If we can eliminate a lot of the turnovers just trying to get it up the court not only do we have much better chances of scoring but can cut down on the easy baskets for the other team.

6. What would you consider to be an acceptable record/result at the end of the season?
    Year 3, fairly deep and balanced roster, manageable out of conference schedule, 7 returning players from last season.... I think this has to be a year that sees considerable improvement. I think anything under .500 is unacceptable at this point. Hovering at or above that and making the WNIT at least shows improvement and that we are heading in the right direction so I think that has be the realistic goal at minimum, but I really think we need to get to around 20 wins if we want the program to really catch some attention and show that Cam can change things for the program going forward.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Well, we lost perhaps our best player to graduation but have a bunch of returnees. I'm optimistically hoping for a .500 season. Expecting a 20-win or tournament appearance season may be too much. A .500 or so means the program has turned the corner and is trending in the right direction. We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    I think one of our biggest issues has been a loaded women's sec basketball, that has shown no mercy for the bottom teams.

I would love for us to get to .500. I think the infusion of new players at least give us a reason for optimism. Anxious to see if Lav can be an immediate star.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    .500 + 1

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    This is funny.
    I was chatting behind the scenes with @swampgas44 and @gatorjjh about making the first ever(?) NBN contest for WBK....with the same theme - expectations:
    1. Predict record,
    2. Pick the starters,
    3. Etc
    Glad to see another poster here thinking along those lines to kick-start some additional interest in the program.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Record? Under 0.500 SEC but right about 0.500 overall.

Starters?
    Start the season:
    Kiara, Rainey, Zada, Nichols, Moore
    Start of SEC: Briggs moves in for a 3 guard look.

Newbies? want to see Brylee hit some perimeter shots with regularity.

Most improved? All, hopefully.
    I thought Manu showed some spark late last year as she progress. I think she might be a surprise.
    Wishful: Page and Zada become a force under the basket.

Turnaround? Really like the idea of lessening turnovers.
    Also, just consistency.
    Or Playing with a lead. E.g. having composure when holding a lead or keeping the intensity when we fall behind.
    Several games this past season we had a good quarter or 2 - we won a couple quarters against quality teams - but really bad /miserable quarters, as well. Need to win (entire) games - not just quarters, moving forward!

• Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Way too early for answers, speculation is the best I can do. The full team is not even on campus yet. They have not had a true scrimmage, went by practice today, coaches are getting every second out of the hours they can practice. Lots of 4 on 4 drills, shooting, screening, defense against cutters etc and oh yeah shooting.

From my perch above the court I saw Kiki, Dani & Christina doing a lot of coaching with frosh. Helping them get into the right set and position during the drills.

1. Who do you think the starting 5 SHOULD be to start the season?
    can't answer should
    Right now I would start Kiki, Dani, Christina, Manu & Emer if she is healthy and in shape. Coach Lang's work with Emer, Zada and Paige is noticeable to me.

2. Who will be the team MVP? Dani

3. Most improved Kiki, I think her confidence has improved, her head is in the right place, i.e. she is not trying to impress anyone with flash and she appears comfortable being the point and the leader, she coaches at every opportunity

4. Which new player (transfer or freshmen) are you most excited to see? can't say yet

5. Biggest key to turning things around this season? having a season under the belt of the returners and having 8 returners (Emer practiced last year just could not play so I call her a returner) to work with the 4 newbies

6. What would you consider to be an acceptable record/result at the end of the season?
    I think they will do pretty wel in pre SEC games, I'll wait til then to even guess at an SEC record, we have more talent than last season, they have a season under their belts and know each other better, I like the way the team is working as a team, further along in that aspect and in on court communication than at this point last year.

I did not talk with Coach Newbauer but what I am hearing is that recruiting is going well and the hints are what we should expect with a roster packed with shooters bigs are in the crosshairs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR All American

Feb 1, 2011
    For some background... Cam went 14-18 and 14-17 his first two years at Belmont and jumped to 24-9 in year 3. Obviously different schools and leagues but he has shown before he can do it in 3 years. A similar jump would put us around 18-13 with around 6 SEC wins.... that would be very respectable year 3 IMO considering we don't lose a lot and hopefully add another solid class to the mix.

9. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    Great stuff man, I am not as in tuned with the womens program, but the people I know have echoed what you said about the bigs. Said it is night and day how they look now compared to last year. I dont know what was going on before, Zada looked ok down low some games. But I keep hearing Emer can be devestating about 10 minutes a game but dont expect much more from her this year. Work in progress over the next few years. Glad you gentlemen are really bringing some notice to the womens program. I plan to catch a lot of the games as usual and see them on the road a few times also. Personally I think Briggs is going to kill it this year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    she has soft hands and pretty good feet she also is left handed, not a great leaper but should be able to push some folks around down low

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  11. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Did he do such a massive roster restructure at Belmont? To me, is almost if we had back to back “year ones”. Year 3, then, is the season after this coming one, IMO.

12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Agree with Bogey. Don’t believe we have recruited well enough to make substantial leap in SEC play. Think we are still one of the worst teams in the SEC and do not believe we have the talent to beat FSU or UM ladies programs yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR All American

Feb 1, 2011
    For me year 3 is year 3 no matter what route he takes to get there. Not sure how his roster was built at Belmont year 3 but I'd imagine he had mostly his players by then. We should see improvement by this season, and I think we will. Getting to .500 is going to be around an 8 win increase and I think that is a fair expectation. The OOC slate is where we have to really up the performance. A lot of home games this season and not that strong a schedule so doubling our wins to 10 there is where he can really make a move record wise. SEC play is always brutal but we would only need to find 3 more wins there.... Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU.... there are at least 6 teams we should be highly competitive with if not favored over. Hopefully we draw a few of those teams twice. We were close in a lot of games last year. If we are improved we should be able to finish a few of those out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    got by this afternoon for a while, would have been for longer except the UPD Parking squad is active even in summer :( the team drills are focused on proper cutting technique, same for screens and pivots, Bry is catching on and is as good at shooting as advertised, still catching on and getting used to the level of competition, takes coaching well and works hard. Nina arrived on campus later than Bry and Lav. She is both fast and quick, catches on quickly when she is coached during the drills i.e. tell her once and she gets it if not the first time then the second, not bad for a player in a totally different situation.
    Workout for the forwards was focused on agility, put backs, screens and proper footwork, Paige is much more active than last year and Emer is very good around the bucket she has a ways to go to be in shape to go toe to toe with the SEC folks but she is pushing herself in practice.
    The Friday work out is 7 am, hope they do well, I will not have notes :)
    Coaches are going to be centered on recruiting not sure what that means for practices next week. As I understand it they have a 4 hour per week limit with the coaches, Mike White went over the parameters when he was on with Steve Russell the other day and I think the rules are the same men and women.

15. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm not familiar with the players so I can't really answer most of the questions. In year 3, the program has to show considerable improvement by finishing at .500. We don't play a loaded non-SEC schedule and there are a few teams that we should be able to beat in the conference schedule. Finishing with single-digit wins is simply unacceptable at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. missourigator

missourigator GC Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    after last season there is only one direction we can go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    .500 season? If so Cam needs to go. Granted he inherited a bad situation, but he hasn't really improved anything.

18. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Replacement in mind?

To me, he restructured twice. A major purge. I think he did with the backing of ADSS as a 5-year plan to re-set the program...from foundation up.

I use a building analogy: if you want to remodel your house - some might add a room, enclose the garage, or add a floor.
    Others might tear down the whole thing, foundation and all and start from scratch. That’s what Cam chose to do. might take longer, but you end up with what you wanted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR All American

Feb 1, 2011
    Insightful analysis

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree with the whole “who else you going to get” reasoning. Yes Cam inherited a bad situation but this is a results-oriented business and looking at his W/L record, his first two seasons have been awful. His recruiting has been below average and some of the transfers he has brought in have been pretty bad. We can use the excuse of facilities and crowd support but instate schools Miami and FSU both passed us by years ago and they have no advantages in recruiting over UF.

I hope Cam turns it around but I would imagine he needs to show considerable improvement in year 3 or else his seat will be extremely warm in year 4. And who else can you get? I have no idea but it would be Stricklin’s responsibility to go out and find the best person possible.

• Agree Agree x 1