Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Expectations for 2019/20

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bababooey, Feb 6, 2019.

1. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011

All valid points. So I’ll just say in the future, down a point or tied late, I would like to see our best offensive players on the court.

Hayes being on the court was obviously an option since he was on the court. Maybe the play wasn’t designed to be a drive and dish. But our worst offensive player had the ball in his hands when it mattered the most. He did have 3 rebounds that game so maybe the thought process was to keep him in for rebounding. Granted Hayes did get fouled and made a foul shot. But I would think we can all agree he’s not the best option offensively late in the game.

Just my opinion obviously.

I apologize to the OP. The thread was about next year and my questioning of MW’s decisions have gotten us totally off track on what the thread was supposed to be about.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Of course there is a chance we make the NCAA this year, but I don't see that happening. We might have 16 wins going into the SEC tournament and I really don't see us winning 2 games there. I think with our schedule 18 wins gets us in.

I expect next year to be improved. A lot here think we'll miss Hayes more than expected, I'm not in that club. He's a great off-ball defender, but not on-ball. He blocks few shots on the guy he's defending and commits fouls or gives up baskets.

The seat is not even warm for White.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gotta disagree with you on Hayes. he has been really good on his all around defense this year. If you look at his stats on sports-reference.com, you will find that his defensive box plus/minus rating is #1 in the SEC. My guess is that he makes the All-SEC Defensive Team this year. That being said, we will be a much better team next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm expecting us to beat FSU next year, especially since Anthony Edwards seems headed to Athens. He would've given FSU an elite wing (top 3 player overall) to match with a returning senior PG and junior SG.

Not sure who else they add to their class. But as of now they're losing Mann, Cofer, Koumadje, Savoy and Nichols. Plus they're backup big man is their leading scorer and a legit pro prospect and could go pro early too.

So that's a guaranteed 3 starters (entire frontcourt), 5 seniors and possibly 6 of their top 8 players from this year's team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Agree on Allen
    Also think Hudson needs to be in on last shot opportunities as his ability to drive has to be respected

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

My expectations are always hopeful. We really, really need some good big guys. We will be improved next year from the 1 to 4 spots and probably will be better on offense at the 5. We will likely be worse at the 5 on defense.

Even without any new big guys, we should be much improved next year. Our 3 freshmen will be better. The guys coming in sound pretty good. Bassett will be better on offense than what we have this year. We'll be better.

Nobody should be calling for getting rid of White. He's doing great with all the issues this team has had.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mogator1

mogator1 Recruit

Feb 8, 2019
    The one question I have regarding expectations for next year - maybe I am wrong but I thought Mike White was a coach who would play full court defense similar to BD early teams. I was under the impression that he didn't do that because we were short bodies in his first few years. If we have a full roster next year and with the athleticism of the freshmen and next years incoming recruits, will be play an aggressive full court defense? I know we token pick up full court this year but we aren't trying to trap or steal the ball with our pressure. Will those in the know expect that next year?
    And I am not criticizing MW, I think talk of replacing him is ridiculous at this point. But I am curious of what to expect.

8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Billy became a really good coach on the defensive end of the court after he gave up the full court press defense.