Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Expectations for 2019/20

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bababooey, Feb 6, 2019.

1. bababooey

bababooey Sophomore

Aug 27, 2018
    Gainesville, FL
    We have a vocal group of White defenders, and also folks who think Stricklin should make a move this year.

Without devolving into namecalling & sarcasm, I'd love to know from each group what their expectations are.

If you are a Mike White defender, what would it take in 19/20 for you to change your mind?

If you think White is/should be on the hot seat, what would it take for you to admit you were wrong?

For me personally, given that we're looking at a .500 season this year, to get me back on the Mike White train, next year will have to be a marked improvement - in other words, 20 wins & top 3 or so in the SEC.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    White has three superb freshman that start and has a stellar incoming class.

We will again be undersized in the front court next year, but the rest of the team will roll like a pinball machine.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    If this season has taught me anything, it’s not to be *all too optimistic* about a season without firm data to back up the expectations.

But, i like the 3 current freshmen returning with a year’s experience. Now, expectations for the 3 new freshmen next season are high....but I may throttle back those expectations a little after this season.

Mix in a nice group consisting of Bassett and Ballard. Who have shown some improvement. We have a nice core.

Not going to comment yet about Stokes or Stone or Gak until they come back from injury and/ or are *fit* to play. Not sure about Okauru’s future either.

As a CMW advocate, at this point I’m expecting a run to the Sweet16 next season if we get a quality big man to help the front line depth and possibly as a starter.

To me, we’ll be replacing outgoing players with players as good, or better, with the new freshmen - Payne, Mann, and Lewis.

I think something will be amiss if we struggle to make the NCAA’s. There shouldn’t be any *excuses* for struggling. But I’ll keep an open, albeit somewhat biased, mind about it - one way or the other.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 407king

407king All American

Dec 8, 2018
    I think we'll be top 4 in the SEC next year. Next year MSU, Auburn, UT and LSU will all take steps back due to graduation and the NBA. We should benefit greatly from having Nembhard, Locke and Johnson get the playing time this year.

Throw in the top class so far recruiting wise in the SEC and I like how our talent compares to the rest of the conference.

So I think we'll get a bye in the first round of the conference tourney and be in position to get a good seed in the big dance.

We'll be really special 1-3, and if we add a grad transfer or 2 could be deep at 4 and 5. If we add a stretch 4 and a legit 5, the options will be really fun for CMW on both ends.

Really depends on who we finish our roster spots with and who stays and goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    A lot of unknowns, but based on what I think might happen ... I expect a top 10-15 team next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Some good comments above, and it's (always) great to hear about some of the top prospects we have coming in next season.

But, I'm still kind of focused on this season!

I am miles away from the sentiments I see on this site with posters talking about the team being so "painful to watch" that the posters just want to see the season quickly come to an end.

Even if I thought we no longer had a chance to make the Tourney (but I don't think that), I'm enjoying watching this team represent my alma mater, playing with a lot of heart in a lot of close, exciting games. And, although I've always stuck with every Gator team that didn't quit (which has been 99.9% of them - yes I was there every minute of the 0-10-1 football season :)), now that I turned 60 last November, I'm even less inclined to say "just get this season over with so we can move onto next year." :cool:

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Kudos to you!!!

I’ll be honest- I’ve found it to be a really frustrating season, to date. And I don’t find it a very enjoyable team to watch play.
    That said... they play hard and are probably more competitive than they should be.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I'm not in the "fire White" or "White defenders" group, but I try to remain cautiously optimistic. My expectation is on the lower end for now until we show we have some form of offensive post play. Even when we had all-SEC talent like Chiozza, Egor, and pre-terrible Hudson/Okauru/Stone, we couldn't go anywhere without an offensive post presence. Now we lose our two most valuable players in Allen and Hayes, and replacing them won't be so simple. Unless we find a difference maker down low or I hear a name that could come here, it's difficult to say we'll be much better than what we are now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I would expect the eye test to show an improvement. Record is impossible to predict because we don’t really know enough about the other SEC teams next year, or OOC.

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I am a CMW defender. A minimum for next year would be a 20 win season and making the NCAA even as a last 4 in. I agree the post players as a whole will not show much improvement trading a senior for a true freshman but we have to hope Stone can return and be a regular contributor. The guards though should show great improvement, not only in outside shots but as finishers to the basket. If we stay healthy then depth will improve and thus we should see improvement as the year progresses. I would hope for a top 5 SEC finish with 1-2 more tier 1 wins. Just making the NCAA will be an improvement and keep CMW in good standing. 2021 is yet to be determined along with the players coming back.

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    CMW is not on any bubble for me.
    I am optimistic UF will be quite good next year with what’s coming back and what’s coming in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's far too early to be able to answer the question about expectations. How many students might transfer? Will the freshmen improve or suffer any sophomore slumps? Will Gak and/or Stone be able to contribute next season? Will Stokes do whatever it is that's necessary to stay on the floor? Will we suffer further injuries before the season? Will we get one or more grad transfers and how good will they be?
    When we have answers to most, if not all of these questions, I may venture a guess. As for coach, there should be no doubting, question, or hot seat until the end of next year.

• Like Like x 3
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I think as fans we should always expect to make the "dance".
    However top 10-20 is hard to see unless we have a very talented big man or 2 transfer in. A good recruiting class and hopefully freshmen improvement, but I think graduating Hayes and KA will be missed more than many think.

14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I say give him more time. It's hard to follow a great and it's not like we were loaded when BD left. If anything, I feel like we are the only champs in the last 30 years not taking advantage of a championship and we won back-to-back titles. It's like we had losing seasons. Maybe we didn't recruit well but I felt we never took the program to the next level after those titles.

15. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I like White. He has room to grow in offensive sets and philosophy, but he's smart and he's a hard worker - and shown he can recruit (at least 1-3 ):

What I think:
    1. our freshmen are getting incredibly valuable experience
    2. our incoming class could be one of our best ever
    3. we are a big grad transfer + 2-3 stable bigs away from playing an inside/outside game for the first time in a while

All this to me points to 20+ wins next season. Of course anything could happen - injuries, subpar play, chemistry issues, etc but Mann and Lewis to me are the real deal and BALLERS. This year's freshmen will have to step up their games even more next year if they want to continuing starting. There's going to be a TON of competition at the 1,2 and 3....if 4 and 5 are solid we could be much better next year.

• Like Like x 3
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Miss the tourney next season then the seat is very hot of not scalding.

I have zero fear of that. Mike is a very good basketball coach.

I believe Mike will be here ten years from now and we will be glad he is.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    As I posted on another thread, Mike needs to make it to the Sweet 16 or there are going to be some serious questions going his way. My "expectation" is that he implicitly knows this and will manage everything accordingly.

18. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    All due respect to the OP, I decline to get painted into viewing next season as a referendum on Mike White.

As for expectations … I expect the Gators to play a cohesive style of offense that reflects Coach White's philosophy, whether it's dribble-drive offense as so many on this board believe, or some variant. Probably the squad will be too young to play that offense at peak efficiency, but the elements will be there to play his style. Two very talented and rangy point guards. Deadeye shooting at the two guards. Superb talent at the 3. An incoming big with the length and mobility to add a presence on the block and rim protection. Decent speed scattered throughout the squad, if not lightning speed.

There will be no excuses about having to play a plodding, jump shot-style of offense because injuries, youth and lack of talent forced UF's hand.

I expect UF to be just as good a defensive team and just as poor a rebounding team.

I expect the team to play on the first Sunday in the NCAA Tournament, but getting in will be no cakewalk because most of the SEC programs have upped their quality nicely this year while UF took a step back.

As for hopes … I hope Coach White loosens the reins a bit, because he strikes me (and this is no more than a gut feeling) as a tight coach right now, and tight coaches often lead tight teams. I hope he deepens the rotation significantly, because the last couple of years, it seems like there are always two or three players buried on the bench and, once they get into a game, are only one mistake from being back on said bench.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I'm borrowing this line from the previous post as I agree with it but I do want to see improvement moving forward.

As for goals, making the tournament is one, but any season that makes it to the Sweet 16 is a total success in my book. With the one and done format of the tournament, making it farther than that is a bonus, which we should all happily accept.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    This is a really, really good post.

• Agree Agree x 3