Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Expanding the CFB Playoffs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thom1507, Dec 23, 2020.

1. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Six would be pushing it, more then that and you have garbage in there.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    so? The garbage is an easy out for elite teams. So what’s the harm? And it would be more “fair”. It is not a good sign if a team can go undefeated and have no shot at a title.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Don't think LSU is ranked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Wildcard teams win the Super Bowl. An 8th seed won the NCAAB tournament. A Western Conference 6th seed won the NBA Finals. Let’s not forget the countless upsets that happen in every sport’s playoffs every year. How can you call these teams garbage? A lot of times we want to see if a team is really good or not, e.g. UCF’s undefeated squad. We deserve to know if these teams are real or not. No less than 8 teams will suffice. I’d like to see 16, but I’ll settle for 8.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    That's what the committee is for. Leave it up to them. If they think a one loss mid major deserves to go over a three loss Power 5 team, they can go that route. 8 teams would be better, and I say that while asserting that Florida should not be one of those 8 teams. It should be the top 6 plus Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina. Maybe going to 8 teams will force the committee to take a longer look at the overachievers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

You wanna buy my raffle tickets? You won't win, but at least participating will mean something!

What does this expansion mean for these teams have little to no chance of winning? Can you not see how insulting of a proposition that is? As a fan, you would tune in to a game wherein your team is assured to lose every time? This is certainly not the case. The empty stands during the Moosechamp and Shark years are testimony. So too are the empty stands of perennial losers.

What alternatives have we? Abolish the CFP and return to something previous. I'm not arguing for it's perfection. To be sure, there will be controversy: 2004 Auburn. Sometimes we will have 3 deserving teams: 2001. But every game will count. There will be a concentrated product. In addition, teams will celebrate the bowl games.

7. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I like that the regular season means something, I like that 2 losses pretty much means it's over for a teams national title hopes, expansion won't help your Coastal Carolina's, nothing will unless they get into a real conference, expansion will just mean more power 5 teams in with lots of losses.

8. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    For 47 years the division 2 schools have been 28 teams and have never had any controversy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    5,6,7,8 would make some interesting games this year. I’d like our chances.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. easycoastgator

easycoastgator Junior

Dec 26, 2018
    Some gator fans in this thread don’t think we’re worthy. I bet we’d give #3 a damn good game and #4 more than they could handle

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't see how expanding the playoff four teams to eight teams out of 357 teams makes the regular season meaningless. The NFL has 12 teams (not counting 2020) and yet somehow their regular season games are not meaningless.

I think it's the opposite. If a team loses a game or two, the rest of their regular season games become meaningless. An expanded playoff makes more regular season games relevant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    we gave the #1 team a damn good game and more than they could handle...that doesnt mean we should be in with 3 losses.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    That they will have a meaningful postseason with few opt-outs.
    I watched the 2015/2016 SEC Championship games. I had no interest in watching Florida play a meaningless Sugar Bowl game.

Terrible solution. Might as well go back to the Bowl Alliance and just enjoy the regular season and forget a postseason even exists. How many intriguing matchups were nullified because of the Rose Bowl tie-ins for 70 years? The BCS made it better, but we noticed the flaws just three seasons in. The CFP had flaws in year 1. There will always be flaws, but to think of it as some purity test also diminishes the fun of the game.

The structures of the conferences already make it uneven and unfair. If we had played Miami's or Nebraska's schedule in 2001 (even before the SEC was recognized as the juggernaut it is today) do you think we would have lost a game? Or even playing Clemson's schedule this year? You might as well only hold stock in the SEC Championship if you value the sanctity of the regular season.

Look at our Oklahoma threads to see how incorrect this statement is from our fans' perspective. Bowl games mean something to teams that are perennially at or below 0.500. They should be kept around for that reason. But for teams that routinely play over that winning percentage, they are a consolation prize that is the equivalent of a "there, there, pal".

Additionally, the mid-major or group of 5 teams that overachieved this year will likely overachieve next year (and possibly the next 2-3 years) because they don't have to lose their experience. A lot of P5 teams will be losing depth from the transfer portal (some to G5 schools) and to early departures. If there was ever a year to expand the playoffs it would be next year.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Where do the extra two weeks on the calender come from? I'm actually for making it an 8-team playoff, because generally, there's a cut line around the top seven teams that really have any chance at all, then the talent drops off dramatically. That one extra week could come from deleting one cupcake game (not the fsu cupcake though).

And, don't forget about the Marlins taking it all as a wildcard team.

• Like Like x 1
  15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    In my opinion, the purpose of the polls, BCS or CFP is to crown the best team in the country as national champions. I was never in favor of the playoff at all because the team that won almost always deserved to be national champions, but 4 teams works because I do think there was a decent chance an undefeated P5 team should get a chance. To me, any undefeated P5 team should have a chance to play for the NC.

But my issue with expanding the playoff is not making sure all the 1-loss P5 teams get a second chance, but that it almost inherently lets teams in that don't deserve it. As much as I love my Gators, and as much as I believe that in a tournament setting, we could actually beat those other teams, we don't deserve with 3 losses to have any shot at a national championship. Nor do I believe a 2-loss OU should have any chance.

With a 4-team playoff, you really only have TAMU who can make a legitimate argument that they deserved to be in over the others. But you'd have UGA, Coastal Carolina, Indiana, BYU and others who would have a legitimate argument if you expand to 8. The larger you make the playoff, the more debate you'd have, not less.

I also think an expanded playoff will diminish the regular season, just as it has done to college basketball. Nobody even pays attention to college basketball until March Madness.

16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't understand the question. Last I checked, there are 52 weeks in the year. Anyone who says there aren't enough weeks is using an artificial restriction.

17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Football games don't happen more than once a week. By adding two rounds of tournament, you add two weeks of season. Football season doesn't last 52 weeks, so let's start by you admitting that was just a flippant comment in response to reasonble discussion. The season is as long as it is because the athletes are supposed to be students. Their bodies can't take 52 weeks of football brutality, no one's can, even pros. Bye weeks are needed for teams to recover and prepare. During the rest of the year, there has to be time for school, recruiting, spring camp, spring game, more recruiting, strength and conditioning, and everything else. If you want to add two weeks of games into a tournament, you have to remove two weeks of games, which is entirely possible with four non-conference games. But, that also means that for the other hundred or so teams that don't make it in, they don't play any games those last two weeks when they normally would, which would strain program finances.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But it sure is possible that we are one of the top4 teams in the country. Not by ranking but by being better than ND

• Like Like x 1
  19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You are definitely being purposely obtuse, here. I wasn't saying the football season should be 52 weeks, and you know that. You asked where the two weeks for additional games would come from and I said we have 52 weeks in the year, meaning that we have plenty of time to play the two additional games.

20. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think we are better than ND but that doesnt mean we are one of the top 4 teams in the country.