Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Expanding the CFB Playoffs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thom1507, Dec 23, 2020.

1. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    I don't normally watch the Colin Cowherd, but was channel flipping yesterday and happened to catch his interview with Joel Klatt regarding CFB playoffs. The subject came up about the future of the playoffs and Klatt really laid out a compelling argument for CFB playoff expansion to 8 or even 16 teams.

His take was other schools needed to have a measure of success and with something like only 6 schools having ever been in the CFB playoffs, this has lead to the vast majority of schools with nothing other than hollow year end rankings or meaningless bowl game victories to claim.

The expansion is not really about giving more schools a shot at winning it all. Chances are very slim any school outside the top 4 will have any reasonable shot, but schools could claim success in reaching the cfb playoffs (if 16 teams), top 8, or top 4, etc, much like they do for BB tournament.

I tend to agree this expansion would be good for CFB.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  2. easycoastgator

easycoastgator Junior

Dec 26, 2018
    I think taking it to 8 would be an improvement. This year Ta&m, UF, Okla, and Cinci would get in. Sure #9 would still complain, but if you’re #9 what are the odds of your team being good enough to beat #1 or #2 in college football. I think this year #5, 6 or 7 could possibly take down an Alabama or a Clemson if the stars were perfectly aligned for four quarters. And I think this year 5, 6 and 7 would have just as good a shot as 3 and 4 do

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    seems like if a 3 loss team gets into the playoffs, there's too many playoff spots.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    I would love to see the playoffs expanded to 16 teams. certainly it would take some away from the pressure of the regular season but look at the excitement March madness creates. You could see some of the same things here

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    More teams, more fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. GATORnGA

GATORnGA Senior

Dec 5, 2007
    Gray, GA
    This would have been the perfect year to try something different.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    This would have been the year it made sense since there wasn't even inter conference play and there was a spirit of flexibility to alter schedules from the get go. Plus the low attendance is a given no matter where you play the games so adding some playoff games would have at least added some (TV) revenue for a few more teams.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    If they are going to let Ohio State in, with barely playing half a year and then the ACC cancelling games for Notre Dame and Clemson, why bother playing the season at all?

There is a reason we play the game... under dogs can win as LSU proved. Maybe FSU beats Clemson, maybe Notre Dame loses. Or maybe Clemson loses Trevor Lawernce to injury which affects their playoff chances.... Play the damn game!

Right now the playoffs are a joke. Requirements and rules will be bent or dissolved so the usual annointed 4-5 teams are in the playoffs.

I am rooting for Alabama... not just because the SEC loyalty, but because they played their game against Arkansas when the other 3 teams pissed on themselves not wanting to lose a game or players.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    The flip side to this is it rewards school who are willing to put tough matchups on their schedule again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    The CFP is largely a joke. That is why the NCAAB tournament is so great. We can root for a 16 seed to beat a 1 seed. We get Cinderellas arriving to the dance. It’s the most exciting spectacle in sports. When have you ever seen a non-football fan fill out a NCAA football bracket at work? It’s just not exciting and all politics. I don’t see why a great but flawed UF who took Bama to the limit couldn’t make a run and beat everyone. Strongly disagree with the poster above who said a 3-loss team getting in is bad. We need an 8-team playoff ASAP. Tired of seeing the same teams in it every year.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    As coaches have pointed out, with an undermanned roster, you can scheme two wins in a row (enough to win now). Without an elite roster you can simply not make a run and win a tournament that requires three or four wins.

'Bama, Ohio State, and Clemson keep making the playoffs because they are, in actual fact, the best teams out there. As summed up by Ric Flair, "If you want to be The Man, you need to beat The Man."

I would actually be cool with restricting the playoffs to conference champions.

12. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    They need to expand to maintain interest. It’s almost boring watching the same 3 teams every year.

They need to expand to maintain competitive balance. As it is, kids see the top 3-4 teams as their best chance to make the playoffs and increase their profiles. It makes recruiting essentially self-fulfilled conclusion.

They need to expand to ensure TV viewership stays tuned in all college year all across the country. As it is, once a team is eliminated fans lose interest. This year, the entire West Coast was eliminated and disinterested.

The current model is just not sustainable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

If teams outside of the top 4 have very little probability, then what gives them the right to the playoffs? What is the justification? If, as your summary states, your case is to provide a "measure of success" (a nebulous term to be sure), then what is the point of the playoff system? So, operating within this structure, doesn't that demean the other bowl games to even larger scale? Moreover, what is the meaning of the regular season? The CFP have already diluted the regular season from the BCS. This seems to injure it further. Suppose a lower ranked team upsets a very highly ranked one, would we really think that the lower ranked team deserves to advance?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I am all for the 8 team scenario- the 5 champions of the power 5 conferences and then the 3 highest ranked teams( rankings need to be done by computer to take the human element out of it)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    You don't think our Gators belong??

Our 3 losses can to ALL SEC teams ranked in the top 15!

• Like Like x 1
  16. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    The bowls are pretty much done. Opt outs are going to be the norm in this current system so what's the point of anything outside the 3 games of the CFB playoff? The bowls are now exhibitions since teams lose the marquee players.

Expanding the playoffs to 16, all of sudden you have 15 games that actually mean something. Sure, its not likely any of these teams will actually win it all, but they could knock out a team that has a very good chance and advance and paint that elite 8 status on their stadium. For some schools, thats pretty enticing. As a fan, I would watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    I agree with you that our losses were tough games except we should have never lost to LSU who by the way were not in the top 15 at 3-5 at that point.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    100 percent agree with this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And teams like ND and ISU will take some losses from those outsi the top Four. ND isn’t one of the four best teams,

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1