Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ex-FBI lawyer: Officials were 'quite worried' Comey appeared to be blackmailing Trump with dossier

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, May 16, 2019.

1. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ex-FBI lawyer: Officials were 'quite worried' Comey appeared to be blackmailing Trump with dossier

Former FBI general counsel James Baker said this week that he and other officials were "quite worried" that former FBI Director James Comey appeared to be blackmailing then President-elect Trump during a 2017 meeting regarding salacious allegations found in the Steele dossier.

"We were quite worried about the Hoover analogies, and we were determined not to have such a disaster happen on our watch,” Baker said, hoping to convey to the incoming president that they did not want to continue the "legacy" of Hoover's blackmailing.

Baker did not recall the moment he first heard about the Steele dossier but remembered the bureau taking it "seriously" and said that they were "obligated to deal with it" and determine whether or not anything about it was true, but insisted they didn't accept it "as gospel." He did, however, believe Trump had to be briefed on the dossier because it was "about to be disclosed to the press."

The former top FBI lawyer explained why he clashed with Comey over whether to tell Trump that he wasn't the subject of the Russia investigation. According to Baker, he argued that the then President-elect's activities "fell into the category" of being a subject and he didn't think it was "accurate" to say otherwise. By contrast, Comey repeatedly told Trump that the president was not under investigation before his dismissal in May 2017.

It's nice watching all these rats turn on each other

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So was Brennan... interesting.

Can we now disqualify anyone that has ever been a commie from public service in the United States of America? Bye bye Bernie... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is what Comey actually said, in context.
    James Comey’s Intellectual History
    If we're going to hold that against Comey, how about Trump. And in his fifties, Donald Trump was a pro-choice Democrat who praised the Canadian single-payer healthcare system.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I noticed we only repackage the same opinions and start a new thread about it on days that end in “day”. Yep. It’s Thursday.

• Funny Funny x 8
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Rise and shine campers.

It’s....GROUNDHOG DAY!

7. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I seem to remember hundreds (maybe thousands) of threads about something called "Trump-Russian collusion" for the past 2 years pre Muller report being issued.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    At LEAST 50% of those threads were started by conservatives insisting Mueller was the “deep state” rife with histrionics about “witch hunts.”

Most of the threads started by the left about the mueller investigation came about as a result of the indictments or arrests of Trump’s lackeys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Threads were also started way before any indictments. Whether some or most (matter of opinion) happened after indictments, it still doesn't change the fact that multiple daily threads about "Trump Russia collusion" were started.

It's ironic that the original resistance to FISA court creation and also data collection by the government came from the left, who were fearful of potential abuse of power and privacy concerns. I don't get the complaining now about multiple threads of Barr's investigation when this is what is done on THFSG.

• Like Like x 1
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There was also opposition from some on the right for the FISA court process albeit for a completely different reason. Their argument was that the need for surveillance in certain national security situations could be so time critical that the requirement to obtain a warrant even through a special court could result in an unacceptable delay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    As I recall, the big resistance from the left and libertarians was not to FISA based surveillance but to warrantless surveillance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    The left has shown they don't care about crooked illegal surveillance as long as its their side conducting it and Trump is the one being spied on. A few on the left have been calling this for what it is but not too many.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This time Hillary is going down. I'm sure of it!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    It will be ironic if a bunch of Obama administration crooks go down doing her bidding. For her to be charged for her role in this they would have to go nuclear to nail everyone for the conspiracy to pull this off. I doubt they take it that far but a weasel like Strzok or McCabe would probably sing once they are facing real time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    He voted for Carter in 1980, but in ’84, "I voted for Reagan—I'd moved from Communist to whatever I am now. I'm not even sure how to characterize myself politically. Maybe at some point, I'll have to figure it out."
    I've figured it out: He's confused, self-indulgent and an opportunist.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Just to clarify, you're referring to Trump?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    I kind of figured just like his buddy Brennan that Comey was a communist at heart. Obama seemed to like those types.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Since you find it necessary to immerse yourself obsessively in Trump 24-7, then make it about Trump if that helps you cope.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Yes, he was appointed FBI director by Barack, but he was brought up from the ranks by George W: 2002, U.S. Attorney, SDNY; 2003, Deputy U.S. AG.

20. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I voted for Obama in 08, Romney in 12 and Johnson in 16.

Am I confused and self indulgent as well?

• Like Like x 1