Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Everyone should read Tilly's post...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorKP, Feb 8, 2020.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, I remember watching him in high school. Loved him then and miss Aime now. But back to my point… Billy recruited him. Hayes had a lot of dog in him And was scared of nothing. Became a real glue guy and sometimes even added some good numbers with that

2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    But can White identify talent that can play in his system?

if you have a guard dominated offense that relies on 3 pointers, you need guards that can shoot 3’s and penetrate/dish. AN is a point guard that can’t shoot and has low assist numbers. Can’t win with that. Blackshear played better in his former offense. Look back last year in the tourney games. He was dominant. Looks lost at UF and is exploited on defense.

3. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Legend

Jul 24, 2010
    They are already numbered...

4. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    That hasn't been the problem, the problem has been what happens once they get to Gainesville.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I'm well aware. That wasn't what I was saying. Honestly it's like if you make any sort of post complimenting White about anything on this board right now, people jump all over it. Hell, Too Hot is more enjoyable at this point. I'll prolly stay away from here for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

AN has low assist numbers?!?! o_O :confused:

Then you must think that every PG in the history of UF basketball had tiny assist numbers with the possible exception of Calathes, who I think would be the only UF PG that averaged more assists than Nembhard has so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Averaging 27 percent on 3 pointers and 3 assists per game the last 4 games. Other than LSU, low assists in most SEC games

8. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Things my ex wife would say for 300 Alex.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Too bad we didn't get more time with Egor. Great chemistry for a transfer guy. Compare and contrast with Blackshear, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

So, if we went back 4 games he might have been a good assist guy way back then?

Stats are going to fluctuate for many reasons, including whether players hit the shots they've been set up for. The team has missed a lot of open shots in the last few games. I think season averages are a better measure than picking out a few games here and there.

11. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I would imagine AN's assist stats would be better if our shooting percentage was better. They really need to play up tempo and get in the offense quicker. There are too many times in a game where they only have 10-12 seconds to work the offense and get a shot. The players are still thinking on offense as opposed to reacting and playing.

12. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    I didn’t even read your comment because I was in awe of your avatar. One of the greatest albums of all time.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Since this thread is due to my post, I want to add that I would be OK with this.
    Mike could do well with an older, former head coach with a proven offensive philosophy.
    Think Phil Jackson and Tex Winter.

Outside of that, It is tourney or bust for me, and I don't even know if limping in is good enough.

I am always a sunshine pumper. Held out for Muschamp til the bitter end. I don't have it in me any more. :(

I can list 15 coaches that would have this talent in the top 10-15. But yet we are on the bubble, unranked.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. tilly

This is why I am not in the "fire him" camp....yet.
    But he is doing a poor job of coaching them.

What do you think our teams record would be with just a Rick Barnes type of coach?

Mike HAS to fix this quickly. He has to get an offensive guru on his staff. His seat is getting hot, even though many of us are pouring ice water on it to help.

It is becoming to smokey to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tilly

You and I both said this stuff about coach Mac too Bazza. I am one for optimism, but can we back it up with X's and O's or are we just extremely loyal types?

1. Terrible 4-5 minute droughts EVERY SINGLE GAME.
    2. Our big guy launching 3's when there is NO ONE underneath to rebound.
    3. Guys driving the ball into double teams EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.
    4. Andy Kennedy mentioned the lack of communication on defense. EVEN IN PRACTICE. (Kennedy loves White BTW)
    5. Falling double digits down to terrible teams almost nightly.
    6. 4 guys in the right defensive set, while one guy is confused (Again see: Andy Kennedy's comments)
    7. Single (late) shot possession after single (late) shot possession. Every...single...night.
    8. Absolutely atrocious usage of time outs (IMO). Either saving them too late or using the last one with 10 minutes left (See Saturday's game)
    9. Speaking of #2, why are we not pounding the ball into the paint to that big guy, forcing them to soften up on the perimeter leading to kickouts?
    10. Failure to recruit any true alphas that get in guys faces or pump up the team. (Leadership)

...I mean THIS is where we are. As I type, I am losing hope. :(

• Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bruh..

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Nothing personal but I do prefer people use facts when available..seems some pre exhorting bias or narrative otherwise ...claims that AN has low assist numbers? In his last 4 they are Lower than his average - it’s 5.7 per game. Last several games, 3,3,4,3,8,10,5,6,4,10. Not bad and I don’t consider that a low average.

In the SEC, nemhards 5.7 assist per game is currently the second highest in the league. As a true freshmen he finished 4th in the sec with 5.4 per game.

If you think his assist totals are low then 10-12 other teams PG must be horrid cuz he’s got more than them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    If people don't hit open shots no one's assist numbers are going to look good.

19. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    But it brings us back to square one. Why are the players missing so many shots in most of the games and why has this been a problem for 3 consecutive years.

Players are going to go through cold spells, but the bigger issue has been our inconsistent defense, up and down rebounding, and tendency to be careless with the ball at key moments.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Netgator

Netgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Has there been any changes with the assistant coaches since MW was initially hired?