Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Event hall won’t rent out for an interracial weddimg

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 2, 2019.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I am/have been paid less than my peers in the military simple because I was not married. Not exactly what I think you were talking about but it is a form of discrimination.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

I can say that I have not experienced blatant discrimination as I'm a regular white guy from white bread Minnesota. However, when I arrived in Gainesville I noticed a bunch of it being imposed on other people. I got a little bit of gruff because of my pasty complexion and my Minnesota accent. And yes, my fellow Minnesotans, we do have an accent. Own it. Live it. Love it. Doncha know, yah, u betcha.

That was 40 years ago, I would have hoped we could have risen above it by now.

3. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    Oh, I agree

Do you know there are sites that you can go to that tell you where gay friendly businesses are?

That’s what I’m referencing.

It is what it is.

4. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I went into a Denny’s in Tampa back in the 70s. I and my friends had long hair. The waitress just stood over by the register and stared at us. Eventually, we got up and left. There was no way I was eating anything from that kitchen.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Please tell us that it was 3:00 in the morning, you had been partying hard, and you only had enough $ for the $3.99 Grand Slam, and the appropriate tip for a rude waitress.

6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Reminds me of the Bubba "Whoopazz" Wilson's song back when. Been there, done that.

7. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    It was around midnight and that was the only place open near by.

I can’t remember why I was in that part of town, how much money I had, or if I was stoned? I was in HS at the time.

I don’t even think the grand slams were around back then.

I just checked their history. They bought out the Black Sambo’s restaurants. It might have been a Black Sambos back then? It used to be at Kennedy Blvd. and the Hillsborough River.

8. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Sadly there are websites like you mentioned and it's 2019. But this is what you get when you elect politicians that take a pass on these issues and in some cases pass laws to allow such sad behavior.

9. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Have any of you come face to face with blatant discrimination?

Oh yes. Perhaps the most blatant was at a public meeting in 2008 with stakeholders. I can't remember what got this guy going (we were meeting to discuss bears) but pretty closely paraphrased he said: I don't know what's happened to this country. 50 years ago we had to start letting nigra children go to school with our kids and now we're getting ready to elect one President of the country. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a racist - I once arrested a white boy for raping a black girl. (He had been the elected sheriff in a panhandle county - let that sink in a moment.) I don't know what all else he said because I got up and walked out. We had a professional facilitator at the next meeting.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry for the tangent (sort-of). This wreaks of misguided ideas and they need to be "dinged" for it, financially speaking.

From now on, I will NOT be buying things at Walmart. How dare they tell us what they can NOT support to us, even though the law says we can. Damn stupid folks...