Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Evans released from his LOI from uga

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by MyakkaGator, Jan 7, 2020.

1. swamp life

swamp life Freshman

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    The Last 5-Star: Updating the Wild Recruitment of RB Zachary Evans
    DAVID KENYONFEBRUARY 14, 2020

[​IMG]
    Zachary EvansBrian Perroni, 247Sports
    While a few thousand prospects in the 2020 recruiting class have finalized their college football homes, 5-star running back Zachary Evans is still figuring out his next stop.

Although he initially signed with Georgia, the school released Evans from his national letter of intent following an unreported incident. He'd quietly signed in December and planned to reveal his decision at the Under Armour All-America Game.

Instead, the showcase put Evans in the spotlight for a different reason.

"First and foremost, I just want to apologize to my college coaches, for everything they are hearing," he said, per Shea Dixon of 247Sports. "I am really a good kid. I came in and learned from some former professionals. I made some stupid decisions and I am ready to compete at the next level."

As a senior, Evans missed a total of four games—including the state championship—as a result of two suspensions for breaking team rules.

[​IMG]
    T.J. McAloon@tjmcaloon

· Dec 21, 2019

North Shore's 5-Star RB Zach Evans has been sent home by his coach. No exact reason is known as of now. However, he was not suspended by the UIL. #UILState

[​IMG]
    T.J. McAloon@tjmcaloon

Source: Zach Evans sent home over refusal to give up his cell phone. Evans made a big scene over having to give his phone up and coach sent him home. #UILState

1:10 PM - Dec 21, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

81 people are talking about this

Shortly after the Under Armour event, Georgia released the nation's No. 16 overall prospect from his NLI.

Because of NCAA rules, however, he's not eligible to submit a second letter of intent. That stipulation—which limits an athlete to signing one NLI per recruiting year—threw yet another twist into an already complicated situation.

So, no matter Evans' next choice, it won't be official until he's enrolled. And at this point in the academic year, he can't enroll until a summer semester.

That has created an exceptionally rare opportunity for programs to pursue a top prospect after February's signing period.

LSU and Texas A&M seemed to be immediate favorites to land Evans. Before deciding on Georgia, Evans visited LSU in October and Texas A&M in November. But the SEC schools quickly saw a few conference foes join the chase.

In January, Evans took official trips to Ole Miss and Tennessee. Florida also seemed like it would intrigue him if it made a push, according to Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports.

"There are a lot of teams that would take me," Evans told Trey Wallace of Fox Sports Knoxville in early February. "There are a lot of schools that reach out to me that haven't been recruiting me and want to start. A bunch of schools have reached out about me taking my last official with them. I'm just trying to keep it all in perspective and make the right decision."

2. phillyg5

phillyg5 Freshman

Jun 18, 2017
    Cleveland, TN
    Where do you guys grade our class if we land Evans?

• Like Like x 1
  3. florida72

florida72 Freshman

Dec 31, 2019
    I'm sorry, but I find this to be a high risk, high reward scenario. That high risk can destroy the locker room too.

If this kid was sent home because he seriously cant understand team rules then i cant imagine him just all of a sudden being very compliant.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

really good :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. phillyg5

phillyg5 Freshman

Jun 18, 2017
    Cleveland, TN
    Yea I get that, but do you really think one player is going to ruin an entire locker room? I feel like if you have a team with good/great leadership they won’t let one bad apple ruin the whole team.

I honestly don’t think the kid is a criminal or a thug. I just think he’s more of a diva type who thinks he above the rules because he’s so talented. I think Percy Harvin had a little of that in him too. I think locker room full of those type of player is dangerous one or two I’m not so sure.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Definitely winner and funny. Nicely done @Skink

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, hes no cecil the diesel or Lawrence Phillips but this kid will look great in orange and blue. Hes a gator lock. Mark it down!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. r0r080

r0r080 Sophomore

Jul 31, 2019
    As a Manager before I retired, I can say 100% without hesitation "All it takes is one bad apple, to F**K it all up for everything & everybody else"

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. sd_gator

sd_gator All American

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    Worth the risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    Where is the smoke about Evans coming from?

11. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Evans. He burns one everytime hes about to commit or decomit to/from a school. So hes been blazing alot!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Percy was of this same Ilk. Locker room can handle a diva that balls. That’s not the same as a truly bad guy , we recall someone from the same team that fit that bill. If you can get this kid you do it and trust your locker room can police itself

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    But if there is trouble, do what has to be done - without undue delay. When the roommate comes to you about a serious incident, don't go waffle, don't hesitate...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Having parented several kids I can tell you the growth from petulant HS senior to better person in college is astounding.

You take the kid. Adult players on the team will help mold him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I see an Antonio Callaway kind of presence. The real difference? Mullen is the HC and not Mac. The current crop of players is NOT going to let a guy with skills call the shots. There are too many other options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. username

username Junior

Aug 17, 2017
    I don’t pay for 247 but people on reddit saying we just got a crystal ball for him.

smoke!!

imo this is the refectory situation for us to take a flyer on him. We have lingered who really should get a waiver if Evans doesn’t come here/ messed up when he does. We also have a bunch of great guys in that locker room if he tries to screw anything up. We have a high character head coach who won’t let him ruin the team (IF he truly is a bad character).
    I definitely take this chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Advantage - no RBs in this class, no highly ranked RBs other than Lingard on the roster, Tim Brewster connected to his handlers, SEC, Gator history at RB position with Emmitt Smith and Fred Taylor, academic ranking, top 10 ranking the last two years, ...

Disadvantage - Has not yet visited, can’t sign another LOI and could change mind again prior to Summer A/B enrollment in classes, farther from home, more difficult to travel to, UF has not produced a 1,000 rusher in a long time, Knox

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    For those of you that think there is not much risk here and that he is only a diva, whatever that means, are wrong. Georgia dropped him, we walked away in January. We might decide to roll the dice, but there are definite issues far beyond being a diva.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Like what?

• Like Like x 1
  20. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Junior

Nov 9, 2019
    I dont think Georgia dropped him - just did not wait for him to decide. He is a confused kid with no proper guidance. He has not major character issues like we see in some other cases.