Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ESPN Way too early Top 25

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratefulGator, May 31, 2018.

1. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    People also thought Tim Tebow couldn’t do better than Chris Leak.

2. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Or that we would have a better offense with Brantley post Tebow

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Point being is that people have no idea what the product will look like until it’s out there. I won’t say Nembhard will be better than Chiozza (this year at least) but he has pure PG skills embedded in him that wasn't there with Allen and Okauru.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    1. Much more rewarding to earn the ranking.
    2. Popularity contests/rankings are rendered moot by the playoff: just get into the tourney....earn entry!

5. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Being consistently ranked (even in preseason polls) affects how the program is perceived which directly impacts recruiting. It's ALWAYS better to be ranked than not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Probably more true with hoops than football. Not a great look when we are Top 10 pre-season and then tumble and end up un-ranked.

7. soichman

soichman Sophomore

Jun 4, 2010
    Literally no one said this, ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    So you're saying that prior to Tebow starting, there were literally no people who believed Tebow was nothing more than a glorified fullback and couldn't make all the throws.

9. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I have to imagine at least 1 person said it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. soichman

soichman Sophomore

Jun 4, 2010
    I guess I was literally too busy sitting in the stands watching the Gators win and hearing "people" boo Chris Leak and yell to put in Tebow when he was literally an unproven freshman. Cinci, where'd you find all the huge Chris Leak fans and Tim Tebow doubters hiding? I'm just curious about all these "people" that really exist and help support your super strong internet argument.

11. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Perhaps you were "literally" never on the internet back in 2006. It's ok if you weren't, you wouldn't have missed much. People on the internet really did exist back in 2005-2007, and they really did say that Tim Tebow would never make a good full-time quarterback, AND that he didn't have the throwing ability to keep defenses honest. It really happened, man.

12. soichman

soichman Sophomore

Jun 4, 2010
    Haha ok, you win. I'll just say I never heard anyone suggest "Tebow couldn't do better than Chris Leak". Can't say I've polled the entire internet, but I guess if we're going with anecdotal "evidence", then you nailed it.

What was your point again? That the Gators team will/could/who knows (strong hedge) be better next year without their senior PG and all-time great, Chris Chiozza because Andrew Nembhard might be a better "pure PG" but he won't be necessarily better than Chiozza, but... Ah, I'm confused. Wait, I see, I guess it's true because "people" (11 people, 93,000 people, the majority of Gators fans, the majority of the internet?) thought Tebow wouldn't be as good as Leak.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    It's a little redundant for me to explain this to you but I'll refresh your memory. The vast majority of the outside world never thought Tebow would amount to a good college quarterback before he started. I'm not talking about intelligent Gator fans although a few diehard Leak fans did exist. My point in mentioning that was that people don't know how good any player will turn out until he gets on the court and goes through his career. I'm not saying Chiozza can be replaced this season, but Nembhard does have a pure PG game that Allen and Okauru didn't have. Therefore I don't think we'll be as "mediocre" without Cheese this season.

14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I did not know anyone who said Tebow wouldn’t be a successful college qb. Pro qb, yes, millions of doubters. Now I don’t know every person who ever had an opinion on Tebow as a college qb, but since he was so highly rated as a high schooler, won state championship as a high schooler, had his own tv show about being a high school recruit, was super successful as a qb off the bench as a freshmen at UF, and was responsible for a few tds in the 2006 title game, and had everyone not named Chris leaks parents screaming for him to play more, I just didn’t find it a good analogy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I'm sorry I ruined your day with a bad analogy.

16. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That was a fast response! And you aren’t ruining my day. Though our baseball team has me frowning,

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GratefulGator

GratefulGator Sophomore

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    We don't win the 2006 Natty without Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. IMHO

19. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Agreed. Tebow was the reason we won at Tennessee and he also lifted our energy in several other games.

20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think actual performance in the tourney is a lot more impactful to recruits than a “way too early” ranking by some pseudo sports blogger.....

• Agree Agree x 1