Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ESPN the Magazine -- The Future Issue: Demarkcus Bowman

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by LLCoolJ94, Jan 5, 2019.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    My worst fears have nothing to do with where a 17 year old kid, I don’t know, chooses to attend college.

The way some of yall worry about this crap is just funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    UF needs to land a marquee recruit to raise our recruiting profile - and soon. Our 2019 class is very good, and I think a couple of the guys will become household names, but to be at the Bama UGA level, we need a few 5*s mixed in to the 2020 class. Heck even Tenn got two 5* OL last cycle.

Bowman would fit the bill perfectly at this stage of the cycle.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    When is bowman looking to commit? Are we expecting anything soon?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017
    He's realllllly in love with Clemson from what I read:

“He had Florida as the leader initially but he kind of went back on that in the last two or three weeks. Clemson is a school he really wanted and that offer is going to be pretty big. Clemson has a policy where if you commit you can’t take other visits. I don’t think Bowman’s ready to shut it down completely.

“Georgia and Florida have been the most consistent over the long haul but that Clemson offer is definitely a big one. He told me a few weeks ago it was Clemson, Florida, Georgia, but it’s more Florida, Clemson right now. If he picked today, it would be Florida, but once Clemson gets him on campus again, it’s something to keep an eye on. If it was an emotional decision right now, Florida would get the nod but the longer this plays out, it could favor Clemson.”

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM
    “I think Florida is the leader. He’s a good fit in that offense. He could do a lot of different things, which is why everybody likes him. It speaks to his versatility as a running back. He can not only run between the tackles, bounce it outside, make people miss, has good feet and good vision, but he’s also a pretty good pass-catcher which we saw at the Future 50. He can do it all and he’s a special kid.

"He’s the most important recruit for Florida in this cycle. If I’m Florida, I’m worried about Clemson just because of its recruiting power. If Clemson makes the kid a priority, it’s sometimes tough to say no.”

5. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Sophomore

Feb 7, 2018
    Gators need to do everything they can to sign Demarkus. He would be a big time game changer for us. We need those Lakeland guys.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Until one of those kids is yours.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Clemson? I get it. They won a couple nattys. But how does a kid even debate UF/Georgia? Do these kids ever watch a game or have a favorite team growing up. It just boggles the mind. Your either one or the other in my book. There can’t be any middle ground or Grey areas or any such nonsense. Isn’t it in your dna?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If one of my kids went to Georgia, I wouldn’t disown him but he may drop in the pecking order with his five brothers. I’m certain I don’t have one of those though. I raised my kids right, no leg jumpers here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    It is $trange....:emoji_money_mouth:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My daughter had UGA higher than UF but she was unlikely to go to either. Only southern school she even applied to was Vanderbilt. I already have two a brothers in-law and a slew of nieces and nephews who are leghumpers so she would have had company watching the game with family. Except for me.

I have twins so there's not much of a pecking order.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. G8RLegist

G8RLegist All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a FL/GA thing, but my daughter was seriously thinking about being a Nole for a week. They announced their admissions a week before UF and she had already been accepted to UCF. She didn't like the idea of going to FSU but she couldn't stomach the idea of going to a school that claimed a fake National Championship (her words, not mine). She broke down crying when when she found out she got into UF for this Fall. So did her mom (who actually went to FSU).

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. avgator2000

avgator2000 Freshman

Feb 2, 2019
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    These kids are not fans regardless of what they put out there. For these kids it’s all about the NFL and what team will feature him front and center. Depth charts mean a lot to them as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Dab
    dabo is prob smoking bec I swear that dudes always baked and Kirby is on the whiteboard searching for new fake punt plays

14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    As I said with Sanders and now saying with Bowman, the longer we go with no commitment, the trickier this becomes.
    I was not sold that Beck was committing and I’m definitely not sold on Bowman committing.

He’ll get carries immediately wherever he goes but the Mellusi kid (Naples) at Clemson is better than most know. Maybe if he has a really solid Freshman year it will cause Bowman to rethink things. Here Perine will be leaving for sure after this year. No guarantee Etienne leaves for sure. Etienne is a special back and if Mellusi or another do what is expected Bowman may split carries three ways. I say all of this because Clemson’s offense fits Mellusi really well and with what that oline does I think the kid is gonna be really good. Etienne gets dinged up at all and maybe he comes back.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Legend

Sep 4, 2017

16. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Florida does seem to have a difficult time closing on the state’s top skill position talent. They get some good prospects, but struggle to land the Best. I can’t figure it out, particularly with Miami and FSU down at the moment.

The Gators should “accidentally” sign one of these kids every two or three cycles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Except at CB. Having difficult time closing the state's top skill players means we should not be so focused on getting them from Florida. Our two-deep at RB next year are from Alabama and Georgia.

I don't get it at all with Miami. They're out recruiting everyone in Florida right now. The remedy is to crush them in August and re-establish UF as the go-to program in the state even if we can't match them for gangbanger/hip hop cred. I still see Gangsta Disciples up here wearing Hurricane gear.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Just selling a party but can’t play football.

19. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    This is why I'm 100% convinced money and/or academics play a MAJOR, major, MAJOR factor against Florida more than a majority care to admit. UF is NOT a second rate university in any way/shape/form. But lose out on more quality recruits than a team of their status should. And Bowman is now turning into the perfect example. FL was always the leader, but now 2 of the 3 biggest "smoke meets fire" schools come calling and our chances are slipping by the day.. . . Money is 100% involved more now than it has in a long time. And I personally blame the NCAA letting um off with a finger wag.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Do you think money is a factor with UM? I don't often hear that about them. It's a totally different alumni culture than Bama and Auburn.

As far as academics, I don't know that the players have much of an idea how the three schools measure up beyond what they hear on their visits. FWIW, UF and UM are very close. Miami is actually more selective but I don't know that it translates to "better" academics. UF certainly offers a much better academic experience for student athletes.