Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ESPN moves UF up to #4

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Ahab, Jul 11, 2019.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Gorjok will counter the Hack-a-Gak with the Rope-a-Dope.

2. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 All American

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    upload_2019-7-31_23-9-58.png

• Like Like x 4
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Expecting a final four run, we are loaded and coach white is a great coach.

4. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Gator football and basketball are back in the top ten, preseason anyway. Things are back to normal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

All speculation now, but I remember how it felt to NOT be in the conversation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    What can or will keep this team from final 4.
    That's as far as I go. To me that's a great year,
    Unless #1 all year and don't get there.
    We have the
    Size
    The PG
    3pt shooters
    S. Lewis
    Blackshear
    What will be our Downfall?(IF we do)
    Ft's I think could hurt us. Locke being the only one from downtown over 35%
    If we are weak down low on D, there are some good big men in SEC. What can keep us from the final 4.
    Just so ready for Basketball.. Football will do just fine while waiting.

7. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We lost a great rim protector, which is significant. We seem to be improved in every other aspect of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    True, but don't undersell Blackshear. He's 6'-10" with a good reach. Behind him we have Gak and Payne, who bring serious length. And a freakish athlete in Keyontae.

9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that he will use his weight and footwork to keep opponents away from the basket more than his leaping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If you're looking for a weak spot, it's probably in the reliance we're placing on Blackshear. We went from being a Top 20-25ish team to a Final Four contender once we brought Blackshear on board - if, god forbid, something happens to Blackshear and Gak doesn't take a huge leap forward, we're all of a sudden in the exact same place down low that we've been for the last few years.

Still, that's not really saying much - every team is vulnerable if their best player tears his ACL. More specifically, there could be scenarios where the starting lineup lacks shooting - if you figure the starting five ends up being Nembhard, Locke, Lewis, Johnson and Blackshear, it's not impossible to see some issues with shooting. If Nembhard doesn't improve his shot, if Lewis is more of a Prather type as a freshman, if Johnson's shooting numbers regress a bit with more playing time and more shots, then you basically just have Locke as a consistent high-volume shooter (and that's betting on the pre-injury version of Locke being The Real Locke).

There are the usual concerns trying to integrate a bunch of newcomers into a new system. Our starting wing is likely going to be a true freshman, our starting center is a graduate transfer, one of the first guys off the bench is going to be a true freshman, one of the back-up big men is coming off essentially two injury years and another back-up big man is a true freshman. Blackshear is surely the most offensively skilled big man White has ever coached - how easy is it going to be for White to integrate that skillset into the broader system after never having to do that before?

11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    And another freakish athlete/defender in Lewis

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Since shooting is a concern for you are you aware both Nembhard and Johnson's 3 point shooting percentage was .347 and .365 compared to Allen at .326 and Hudson at .280. Locke, who was fighting through an injury, finished at .379. Having Blackshear down low and Lewis being able to attack and finish at the rim, I believe, will give everyone some more open looks.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    It will be interesting to see how the Gator's
    shoot the three. The line of course has been set back. I like Gatorstevelp's comment above.

Allen and Hudson did not shoot as well as I had hoped (especially Hudson early).

With KB coming on board we have a big that can shoot the 3 pretty well himself.

I will be very disappointed if UF's (3) shooting % does not IMPROVE this year even with the line set back.

A lineup with KB, Lewis, AN, Mann and Locke would seem like a potentially good shooting outfit. KJ can shoot as well. Need to get that team % up a bit this year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    One area where Blackshear will help is getting open 3 point shots for everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    You never really know how these kids games will translate but I will say this , Lewis seems to be the goods. Something about the way that kid moves on the court. Seems to know where he’s going and what he’s doing at all times. I could be wrong but he absolutely comes across like a true difference maker on a winning team, the engine that makes that thing go

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Take what we can get. This will be a good team and Mike is a good coach...forget about Donovan : like SOS Billy left us in the lurch . Back MW and forget about Billy

17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It's been awhile since we've had a breakout type with personality. Him and Nembhard are going to be quite the combo.

18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Watched him at the McDonald’s all American game and u couldn’t take ur eyes off the kid. Seemed to be all over the court making winning type plays

19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    He's a born leader too