Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

ESPN moves UF up to #4

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Ahab, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida makes big move in Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20

4. Florida Gators
    Previous: 18

Florida sees the biggest jump from the last time we updated the rankings, and that's entirely due to the addition of Virginia Tech graduate transfer Kerry Blackshear Jr. Blackshear is immediately an all-conference frontcourt player and one of the best big men in the country after averaging 14.9 points and 7.5 rebounds for the Hokies last season. He will team with sophomore point guard Andrew Nembhard to form a high-level inside-outside duo. Mike White also welcomes one of the best recruiting classes in the country, led by McDonald's All-Americans Scottie Lewis and Tre Mann, along with top-50 big man Omar Payne. This team has a very high ceiling.

• Like Like x 14
  2. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    That's a bit high IMO. Lots of talent but tons of new players that will take time to get used to each other. My hope is we are playing high level ball late Feb and forward and are able to compete with anyone. I think top 8-12 to start the season is more accurate.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    We have enough experience and talent to justify that ranking, but hopefully that ranking doesn't go to their heads. This season will only be memorable if the fresh faces like Mann and Lewis step up. We have a very good starting 5, but I sure would've liked to have Duruji eligible. The bench looks a bit thin. That said, this is the most talented team we've had since our last final 4 team.

• Like Like x 3
  4. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Would you look at the title picture also:
    [​IMG]

They're best friends haha!

I still put y'all as the top team in the country by midseason. The thing about these rankings is that its easy to see all of the unknowns with your own team but then not be as focused on the unknowns of others. I agree MSU and Kansas have less unknowns than many but they still have some.

Preseason rankings get a lot of crap, as its become quite cool to bash them. But they're generally a very good indicator. Don't guarantee anything but this doesn't mean we should be neutral about being ranked highly in the preseason.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    WAAAAAAAYYYYY too much hype for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    It's a young team and one with a lot of pieces that haven't been fitted together yet. #4 is too high for the start of the season, but we'll see a lot of improvement over the course of the season.

7. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Maybe. But it'll catch the attention of a ton of really good high school players, and a high ranking can't hurt during the early signing period.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    This board was screaming NC#3 two years ago in November though.

9. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I think it looks like we have quality starters and quality depth:
    PG: Nembhard, Mann, Glover, Klatsky
    SG: Noah Locke, Mann, Klatsky
    SF: Lewis, Johnson
    PF: Johnson, Bassett, Payne
    C: Blackshear, Gak, Bassett, Payne, Jitoboh

If Gak is ready and looking good, he might start at center with Blackshear starting at power forward. Mike has a lot of combinations he can experiment with. Or Omar Payne may be the first guy off the bench at PF or center. I'm thinking a redshirt might be the thing for Jitoboh.

10. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Lack of proven depth. Every single team has 13 or so guys on their roster so there’s depth on every team. Nembhard, Locke, Lewis, Mann, Johnson, Bassett, Blackshear are really the only players I know can contribute. The rest have some proving to do. 7 should be enough honestly if no one gets hurt.

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree. Most good teams only run 7-8 deep with real contributors anyway. Health is huge for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well I know some will be uncomfortable with a ranking that high but I say EMBRACE IT!

As has been alluded too if UF breaks through with a great season CMW's recruiting may very well take that next step to consistently being in the top 10 going forward.

That would be awesome! I know I know, they still have to play the season and prove it but I like UF starting the upcoming campaign as highly ranked and a "player" for top HS talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This team should be way more cohesive on offense from day one than last year’s team. Hudson, Allen and Ballard were not good decision makers, and they disrupted the offense. The 3 starters who return played well together and should be able to do it better than last year. Lewis and Blackshear are unusually mature for being first year players for a new team. They should fit in from day 1. The other 6 guys likely will give us plenty of depth and will improve over the course of the season. On the defensive side of the hall, Hayes is a big loss and Allen was a good defender. Hudson was a poor defender. Lewis should be a great defender from day 1 and Blackshear should be solid. Locke and Johnson were excellent defenders and should get better. Nembhard was an average defender but should improve from last season. The sky is the limit for this team.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    It's like a Kentucky ranking to start most seasons. Ranked high based on personnel with no real idea how they will perform as a team.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just wait until Coach Donovan comes back - we'll move up at least one more spot to #3! :ninja2:

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    One of the things I like most about this team is its depth, specifically for practicing purposes.

I can't imagine on how crazy competitive our practices will be. This will really help our team gel quickly and improve as the season progresses.

I am super stoked about this upcoming season. However, I'd rather we were ranked about #9 or so as opposed to #4 IMO.

17. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Take the ranking and smile, Gator fans. MW making noise is a good thing.The other good thing is that I believe we can count on him taking the glow off of these guys with a LOT of hard work. I think it is in his DNA to keep them humble.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    1st Four
    Final Four

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Good points. We have top 5 talent. Few teams can match Blackshear & Lewis. We get 1 more Big to show out and we are a final 4 team. And we cant shoot 65% from FT line

20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I sure hope these kids can shoot better than 65% at the line by a wide margin.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1