Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Eric believes that the Gators top recruiting target is a point guard

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by potomacgator, Jul 30, 2020.

1. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    some serious hops for 6'1. wonder if he's finished growing...

3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If we like him, great, and I'll be happy if he signs with UF, but based on Eric's write-up he looks like another athletic perimeter player who can't really shoot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    14 players on scholarship for 2021, including Reeves. So we are one over the limit. If we sign 2 more, we are 3 over the limit, which means we would have to push 3 guys out the door if no one leaves early. It is likely that a few guys will leave early, but the same could be said for this past season. Right now, we have 6 guards on the team. Lewis and Mann are likely to leave after this season, so we would have Appleby, Locke, Glover and Lane at the guards, with Ruzhnetsev and Reeves at the 3. Personally, I don’t like the idea of over signing in the fall by any more than one player. I don’t see the need for another guard in this next class.
    Changing the subject, Eric, you do not appear to be in the camp of fans who think that Glover will be a solid point guard for the Gators. You also apparently don’t think that he is in White’s future plans. How about an explanation as to both of those thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure Eric will see your post on the free board

6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. If anyone else wants to put their 2 cents in, please do so.

7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Need to tag Eric for his response @Efawcett7 . Eric is good at responding if you tag him.

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree.
    I wouldnt think guard would be a priority need in 2021.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks. I didn’t have a clue as to tagging or how to tag someone.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Personally, I’m in the (G)Lover camp. I’m looking forward to seeing him play with the swagger he had in h.s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Lighters out, everyone.
    Won't ya fly high, Free Board, yeah...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He looks like a good one. Don't see the blueblood schools in his list though, so that suggests he's not a great shooter.

13. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I don’t think Glover showed in his freshman season that he has the potential to one day be an SEC starter. Obviously you never want to lock in a player’s career arc by how he played as a freshman, but watching how it went I have some serious concerns. His turnover problems were entirely concerning, his shot never fell like it did in high school, and he really struggled defensively (not due to a lack of effort). At his size he’s going to need to drastically improve in all those areas and it’s a lot to ask, but it is definitely possible he makes major improvements.

14. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    For 2021, yes they definitely will have guards, but if you don’t take a pg in 2021 then in 2022 you are banking on Glover handling a huge load with a ‘22 freshman coming in and playing backup minutes and I do not think that is where the staff wants to be. This team has had such a lack of point guard depth in the last few seasons that I don’t think the staff wants to be in that position again

15. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He struggled quite a bit but all freshman point guards do. I'm not overly concerned about him. He can clearly make things happen with his quickness. His only real drawback is lack of size; a big guard can always get a decent shot off over a little guard. However, if we have a good depth on the perimeter, we can cover that up somewhat by assigning someone else the task of guarding a bigger guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And why wouldn't MW? I mean its not like we don't have uber skilled big men coming out of our ears. :cool:

17. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You and I watch the same games, but sometimes we see different things. I do recall you saying before last season started that you thought Glover’s game didn’t translate well to the high major college level. That was a hard one for me to understand. The kid was at his best in high school playing against the very best high school teams in the country. Physically, he’s lightning quick, can jump through the roof and is strong. He also was an outstanding shooter, ballhandler and passer. So, if his game doesn’t translate to a high major level, then so doesn’t Chiozza’s, Erving Walker’s or the other small elite point guards that we have seen at Auburn (Harper), LSU (Waters) and elsewhere in recent years.

As to the past season, we didn't see much to get us excited about Glover or Mann at the point, and we got a disappointing season from Nembhard who appears to have been pushed out of the program. Mann showed us absolutely nothing at the point although he had some good moments in about a half dozen games at the 2. Glover didn't show us much, but he also played well in about a half dozen games. As for the future, I don't think that we can predict how any of Appleby, Mann and Glover will do, although my guess is that all 3 of them will be solid. All 3 of them were great high school players, but Glover was the only one to do it on a high-level team against excellent competition. Mann did not play the point in high school. He also did not play well at the point in the post-season all-star games. By all accounts, he did play well at the point in a McDonald's scrimmage. Appleby put up good numbers 2 seasons ago for one of the worst teams in college basketball in Cleveland State. In Appleby's 2 seasons as the starting point guard at Cleveland State, Cleveland State finished 8th and 9th in a 10-team conference that was one of the weakest conferences in the country. So we don't know how he will do in the SEC or whether he will be a positive force for the team. Although you point out that Glover didn't shoot well last season, he shot a higher percentage than did Mann in his senior year in high school from the 2-point line, 3-point line and free throw line, and he did it against better competition He also had the best 2-point shooting percentage of any of our 4 guards last season. Also, despite what you said about Glover's defense, IMO, he clearly was the best defensive player of our 4 guards in that he was the only one of the 4 guards who was quick enough get in his man's face and play solid on-ball defense without fouling. The other 3 guards all needed to play back somewhat on their men to keep from fouling or getting blown by. So, again, I don't know how any of these guys will do this coming season, but to dismiss Glover without expressing similar doubts about our other point guards is, IMO, ridiculous. Also, spending a 2021 scholarship on a guard when we already have 6 guards (counting Lewis, who is playing out of position) who are all non-seniors is to me a foolish thing to do. There will be plenty of grad transfers available if we need one, and there will be plenty of guards in the 2022 class who can come in and play immediately.

18. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Appreciate the post. You reference Appleby playing in one of the weakest conferences in the country and I have to push back on that, I could argue this in a few ways but I think the most simple way would be to look at KenPom's conference rankings, and that year the Horizon was 18th. Obviously that still doesn't make it a great league, but saying it was one of the worst in the country is simply untrue. Because the team was bad that definitely made for some meaningless games and low intensity minutes but Appleby was also at the center of every team's scouting report. Everything the opposing team did was to stop him, and it would be one thing if he was chucking to get his points but he was extremely efficient. I also researched how similar transfers have worked in the past from that league here:

What Numbers Can Be Expected From Tyree Appleby And Anthony Duruji? | GatorCountry.com

This had some statical evidence to why I am high on Appleby as a transfer and why I think he'll be productive.

When it comes to defense, Glover is an example of why hustle does not equal quality. He gives his all on that end which is admirable but right now he doesn't play angles properly and his lack of size hurts when bigger guards go at him in a straight line. He had the third worst defensive points per possession mark on the team (ahead of only Jitoboh and Bassett) and the team's defensive rating got 15% worse when he was on the floor versus him on the bench. Defense is tough to quantify statistically and numbers definitely aren't everything when it comes to evaluating defense but when he is significantly worse than every other backcourt player on the Gators in these key defensive statistics, I think it means something

19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Wow! Civil, well-articulated disagreements. What a great thing. Thanks fellows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    The best kind of conversation!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1