Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Emory Jones out for FSU?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Well, his most successful offense was with Trask so….

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I thought that was all Mullen’s fault…
    He’s gone so why is it unchanged?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Great to hear EJ is better. I hope they both play and kill it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Stats say that is a QB friendly. QB play probably not the reason for a lot of his losses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    franks was not a good qb

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    Well that's not good.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I said good QB play. I don't think any QB during Dan's era was "good" outside of Dak. Dan got the most out of those guys.

8. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Loyalty. Mullen preached it during his press conferences, including the ones following the firings of Hev and Grantham. Mullen values loyalty at the expense of the team/program. Playing upper classmen, retaining friends on staff, etc. I. Knoxs press conference on Monday he also talked of loyalty being a big deal.

Loyalty is great but not at the the expense of winning.

thus, my comment that a one legged Jones could play over a healthy AR.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    Yup, he wants on Mullen's staff wherever he coaches next. Dan loves his "yes" men.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’m sure Emory will play every snap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You are correct, sad situation.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 All American

Oct 6, 2019
    Emory Jones will never start again.

13. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Heard that Urban might want him! :)

14. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    How many games did we lose this year while having better stats than the other team? I can think of the UK and Missouri games off the top of my head. Stats are well and good but they don’t tell the entire story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Glad Emory is healthy, but I was looking forward to seeing AR start and play an entire game against an opponent other than Georgia.

16. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    We aren't talking about the same thing. A lot more goes into winning a game than stats. I agree with you.

17. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    What I am saying is how well a QB plays cannot be determined solely based upon the stats. A QB who passes for 300 yards and 3 TDs has great stats, but if he also throws 4 ints, then those stats aren’t that impressive.

As an example, EJ played pretty much the entire Vanderbilt and Wofford games, two of the weakest teams on the schedule. He totaled 737 yards passing, 10 passing TDs, and 1 int. His season total is 2400 yards passing with 18 TDs. So he got 30% of his passing yardage and 55% of his passing TDs in less than 20% of his games.

2400 passing yards and 18 TDs looks much better than 1700 yards and 8 TDs, but those numbers don’t tell the entire story.

• Like Like x 1
  18. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank you for your post.

There is far too much speculation on here being presented as fact.

I do not think that there a single stellar coach out there that agrees with the sentiment that AR15 is obviously better than EJ. They are both works in progress and IMHO EJ is ahead of AR15. AR15 has shown flashes of brilliance but has gotten hurt almost every time that he shown any of those flashes.

Because he has no idea what he is doing he is basically out of control whenever he has played.

He has had some great plays but he has also had moments of incredible mistakes.

It is not even possible to predict what he will do next.

Have you noticed that the coaches (the professionals in the building) all agree that he has much potential but they also agree that he is often out of control and makes AT LEAST one boner play for every good play that he makes.

I think that he has been handled very well considering that he gets injured at the drop of the hat. I chalk much of that up to his immaturity.

That is why the coaches seem to go with EJ over AR15. With EJ you know what you are going to get - a steady player who is still learning also.

AR15 is just wildly unpredictable. He will make a great play then turn around and make a boneheaded play or two or three.

I like AR15's upside and want to see him play but he has done nothing to convince me that he can sustain his upside. He looks good against everyone at times and also looks terrible against everyone. He looks like a person who is often lost out there but has a seemingly great upside.

That is where a coach can be objective and try to develop AR15 slowly while the fans just want to throw him to the wolves. He did not look good at all the one time he was thrown to the wolves (or, at least the bulldogs).

With AR15 you might get a great play but you are certain to get just as many boners.

People need to get a grip. Both EJ and AR15 have a lot of growing and developing to do.

Coming after the year that Kyle Trask had we need to understand that it took a long time for Kyle to develop into a fine QB. It might take EJ and AR15 even longer to develop. In the meantime EJ is going to play and probably start if he is healthy. He is much more consistent. We just had a very young, undeveloped offensive team this year because so many of our offensive weapons were seniors last year.

Patience needs to reign. Since the coaches are at practice and see the players all the time and how they handle the situations, they know the players better than the fans and are most qualified to make the right decisions.

Fans are not experts although many think that they are. They remember the good plays that the players they like have made but they conveniently do not remember the bad plays. That is where a coach is different. His decisions matter so he has to consider everything (good and bad) when making his decisions.

And no, the fans are not better judges than the coaches unless they are coaches and have the access to all the information that the coaches do.

You can criticize them all you want but you are not better than they are or smarter than they are. Although, I have read on here how some idiots think that they are much smarter than the coaches. Something that would be hilarious if it were not so very stupid. I would not voice such delusional ideations around a mental health professional because if you are forced to prove such delusions are true you would probably end up being committed.

For the hundredth time you are NOT better than the football coaches at coaching football. WE all want to win. Get a grip and deal with reality. You are just an insurance salesman or realtor or something similar. You probably do not win the bets that you make and you are angry at the coaches for not making you a millionaire.

By the way, if you want to make money gambling try the card games. They require the most amount of talent to win. Of course, you will have to train under a professional gambler to get any good.

And, no, you are not naturally better than a professional gambler. You will need to train just like an athlete but with cards.

The hubris on this forum is incredible. Simply incredible.

As a long time educator and coach with doctorates in mathematics and psychology and over 40 years experience as a coach and teacher/counselor/clinician I think I am more than qualified to comment on this subject.

Seek qualified professional opinions when necessary and give the coaches and players a break.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    • Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  19. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Hear Knox will rotate 3 QBs and put a new one in each possession. Not sure why a coach would come up with that harebrained idea completely out of the blue like that.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  20. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Stats are for losers, look at the films. The only stats that matters is win/lose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.