Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Emory Jones out for FSU?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Excellent. I am sure that he has been and will be a help to many.

2. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    What do you mean by mob mentality?

3. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    He apologize to me and I greatly appreciate that effort on his part.

And I believe that people should be able to disagree.

What I and others are unhappy about is the venomous attacking of people on here when they disagree with some of the attacks upon coaches and players.

One can be a zealous fan without being abusive.

I doubt any coach and very few players have ever tried to fail.

And I think that we need to remember that.

People do not have to be mean and nasty to others. It does not help you in any way.

Get counseling if it becomes a problem for you. We have one poster on here whose dad is a psychologist at UF and there are psychologists in every city and town.

When I was a kid I would get upset any time I or my team lost.

My Dad finally sat down with me and said, "Son, get a grip. Winning and losing are part of life. It is disrespectable to others to not be able to accept defeat and wish others well when they win."

"Play hard but give your opponent respect when they win".

I do not think that I can beat that advice even now.

It is not what happens to you that determines your success in life. It is what you do with what happens to you that matters.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    While I don't think it is off limits to speculate on the motivations and thought processes of coaches, even though as with most speculation it is probably wrong. But I will agree the vitriol is dysfunctional, and coaches are human beings and should be treated with respect. I felt bad for coach Zook after he put so much effort into the position and at the same time suffer the loss of both parents if I recall correctly, and then get treated like shit by the fans. But nonetheless the team wasn't meeting UFs high standards so some frustration was understandable.

I don't post a lot in the sports forum, because I tend to be contrarian and find the extreme views off putting. Instead I reserve such opinions for politics, which in itself is a futile effort. I may be a bit milder in opinions than many on these boards, but I am also somewhat fair weathered, I havent been to a game in decades, so I am not part of the group that really creates the fervor and passion for the team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry for misunderstanding you. I will not comment on this thread again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Have you noticed on this board how one poster posts an attack and insult towards coaches, players and other posters who disagree with them.

Then they are joined by others and the insults and derogatory remarks escalate and become more vicious.

They are often threatening

And it builds until it is out of control.

That is what happened in the old west, according to TV and legend, when a few people gathered to protest something.

They got more and more heated until they got out of control and become a mob committed to hanging an murderer or whomever they are convinced is the problem.

That is what football fans sometimes (often?) do to coaches. One person says something that is probably not true and it snowballs until everyone believes the rumors and wants a change.

Any common sense notions are overrun by the fervor of the mob.

It is irrational but it is human nature.

It snowballs out of control and we owe a lot of money to a departing coach or coaches. Then people complain because they have to pay buyouts! HaHaHa!

In our case, fans begin to post and repeat ideas like the coaches do not know what they are doing and are not trying to do their best. And fans are smarter than coaches (or more knowledgeable about football). Which is definitely not true!

Then they may put up defamatory websites, put threatening signs on coaches' yards, get on message boards and spread lies, etc., etc., etc.

Anything that they can think of to harass the poor coach who is the object of their anger.

In some demented people's mind they may actually think that they are great saviors come to save the university from terrible football losses.

Or practically anything.

It seems that the best football schools seem to have the craziest fans.

Maybe Gator Country should have a directory of mental health professionals that people could access as a public service.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    It sounds like you are talking about yourself.

You have to be a big, immature kid.

You desperately need counseling.

One poster has offered his dad as a counselor.

He sees the need that some of you have.

Please take him up on it!

It is mentally unhealthy to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you.

8. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Perhaps you need to read my post. EJ is much more proficient with the offense than AR15. So your post is not accurate IMHO.

EJ is making the correct reads but he has been hurt.

EJ would not start over AR15 if he did not know the offense any better than AR15.

I do not think that any reasonable coach thinks that EJ does not know the offense better than AR15.

I cannot understand where you would get that from.

Mullen said (and I think that McGee did also) that AR15 has been hurt and has not a chance to learn the offense.

That statement implies that EJ does know the offense. Which is obviously true. he has been in the offense for a year more than AR15 and he has not been hurt until recently

It is crazy to believe that he is as limited as AR15 is.

That is absolutely untrue.

EJ played last year and he seemed to have no trouble running the offense in limited snaps.

So he forgot everything over the time between the two seasons?

That is incomprehensible.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    @georgeburns sounds like you’re the one that’s projecting. Why does everyone need counseling and you’re the only one that sees that?

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Very simple.

Because he has more physical ability and can make some plays based simply upon talent.

In addition, EJ is hurt and thus limited but we started him any way because he gave us the best chance to win.

Do you think that the coaches have some grudge against AR15 or want you to lose the money that your betting on us?

Some of you really need counseling or at least another hobby.

If AR15 had been ready to start he would have started with EJ injured.

But AR15 would have probably made a lot of mistakes. He made plenty as it was.

They had no choice but to start AR15 in the second half because EJ's ankle was becoming much worse and he could not play on it very well.

That was it for EJ. There was no other choice than AR15 whether he was ready or not.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  11. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    I don't know if you need counseling or not but I am trained professional.

It is my job and my duty to say so.

We even had a son of a professional counselor offer his father's help. I think that many people can see that melting down and attacking everyone who disagrees with one is not healthy.

And attacking a coach and his staff because they do not win as much one wants is not mentally healthy.

Can you not see that?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I hope you’re making money off of this because it’s ridiculous that you’re going on a football forum and talking people out of talking about football.

13. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    By the way, you are overgeneralizing. Which is a coping mechanism. Not everyone needs counseling but many on here do.

And I am sure that others see the problem on here that some have.

Do you have a problem with professionals or authority figures?

Your attempt at attacking me indicates that you may have a problem. People who do have mental problems generally try to blame someone else for their problems rather than admit that they have a problem.

Neuroses and maladjustments are common among people as long as they are kept at minimal levels.

But I do not think that any mental health professional would deem the meltdown of college football fans as mentally healthy. Some of it is seriously dangerous. As the time that Tennessee fans shut down the phone system at ESPN when they flooded the system after one of the announcers made a remark abut Tennessee and their fans.

That is really not healthy. Nor are some of things that are written on here about our former football staff just because they did not win enough games to satisfy some people.

If they would like to suggest that we get another staff that is well within their rights but threatening family members over a football game is basically going way too far over the edge. As well as other things that some football fans have done.

If you cannot take your team losing then you have a problem and if it leads to violence, name calling or abuse. Then you have a problem in need of immediate attention by a professional.

Things like that are easy to diagnose. No one has a right to threaten or post lies about people but that happens on this board and many like and support it.

You would probably change your mind very quickly if it happened to you.

14. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    You would have to go somewhere else. I have already a relationships though not intentionally with any of you and have already judged some of more mentally and behaviorally challenged people on here.

That eliminates me from being able to help anyone in that group unless it is an emergency.

I would advise the internet or the phone book perhaps.

There are plenty of good professionals who still will be mildly shocked if those people are honest with a counselor.

I know people in the South tend to dismiss the behavior of maladaptive sports fans but it is becoming a big problem with people being arrested for their illegal acts at sporting events.

15. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Love EJ for being a Gator. His bad ankle is not throwing picks....... In year 4 here he is still locking on to his primary receiver and not doing progressions. ( Coach Knox basically said this in last nights presser) He needs to figure it out. He is BLESSED with great talent but he needs to change his thought process. Hope he does and I know it's possible. Cam Newton had accuracy problems when he played here. Saw it in the Spring game his last year. Could not hit a 10 yard crossing route but could scramble for twenty yards when the play broke down. Went to a JC and got coached up some way because he then transferred to Auburn and won the Heisman. Here's to EJ changing for the better with his football I.Q. Hope he has a greater career going forward. If both are healthy though, I would prefer to see AR15 starting moving forward. Just my take.
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    Again, your lack of self-awareness if frightening. bobcat was referring to you when he offered his Dad's services. You're the one absolutely embarrassing yourself in this thread. Listen, I'd like to apologize to you though. I'm sorry you don't know football. I'm sure you come for a long line of men who don't know football, so you've come by it honestly. Amazon has "Football for Dummies" on sale for $16.18. Check it for for cyber Monday.

17. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    I love it! You just proved my point. You may well get yourself suspended little boy.

We really do not need juveniles on here.

18. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    Says the guy who's telling people they need counseling, questioning people's IQs, telling people they most be overweight and unloved? Again, zero self-awareness and massive projection of insecurities. You don't know football. There's plenty of tangible evidence you have provided on this board. People can make up their own minds.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. DomiGator

DomiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    bigkid12, I have said I'd stop comment on the thread and I will not. This just a suggestion to you. Please don't waste your time on this anymore, it's not worth it.

20. georgeburns

georgeburns GC Legend

Jul 23, 2013
    Way too much. I am about to remove/block some of the posters. All they want to do is argue and prove how smart they think that they are.

That gets old in a hurry.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.