Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Emmitt says put Urban in the Ring of Honor

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Jan 23, 2019.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Brandon
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Agree. Brought me great joy during his time here. Several unforgettable seasons. 2 Nattys over Ohio State and Oklahoma and a Sugar Bowl shellacking of WVU in a 3 season span

Sorry, not WVU, but Cincy where Tebow had an incredible game. I do remember pounding WVU, but it was much earlier time

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    It's just a matter of time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. the_abided

the_abided Freshman

Jan 9, 2019
    He'll get in, and deserves to. It should take a bit, since I'm still not convinced he won't jump at a hypothetical Notre Dame job in the future. But after some years the time will come where it makes sense. For now, time to start not only normalizing relations with him, but to actually start having very positive relations with him and his family again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Legend

Nov 19, 2016
    Brilliantly stated by the Gator legend and I wholeheartedly agree.

He better be careful with all of the effusive praise, or some grudge-holding fans will tell him to get off Urban's jock and start calling him "Shelley."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    I still get stuck on the word "Honor". I suppose I'm in the minority though.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too early.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Meyer never faced WVU in a bowl game at Florida.
    2005 Iowa (W)
    2006 Ohio State (W)
    2007 Michigan (L)
    2008 Oklahoma (W)
    2009 Cincinnati (W)
    2010 Penn State (W)

I also agree he should get in the ROH, but not yet. He's probably going to get the itch and give it one more shot. I think he's going to go back into broadcasting and ND will come calling when Brian Kelly has worn out his welcome. After that, put him in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. I agree. The last time I mentioned this in a thread I set a personal record for the highest number of dislikes earned in a post. At some point the Gator Nation will forgive Urban Meyer. That will not happen anytime soon, but it must happen eventually. I would like to think it will happen within five years. Maybe the UAA can create some marketing buzz around the event. 2019 will be the 35th anniversary of the unclaimed 1984 UPI/ Sagarin/ New York Times national championship. 2020 will be the 35th anniversary of the unclaimed 1985 Sagarin national championship. 2021 will be the 25th anniversary of the 1996 Bowl Alliance national championship and the 15th anniversary of the 2006 BCS national championship. Pick a theme to market this, just in case the Gator Nation needs additional reasons to get excited about putting Urban Meyer into the Ring of Honor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. FusionGator

FusionGator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2015
    I say give it more time. Let's focus on our new coach and getting this team where it should be and facilities too.

At some point in the future the dysfunctional relationship between him and Gator Nation will improve and the ceremony will feel more natural rather than uncomfortable and icky to many.

I don't know when that will be, but believe it will evolve over time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    Or Terry :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2014
    6 Mile Creek, Florida
    I’m in favor of Meyer getting inducted but it can wait a year or two....and until we know for sure he’s out of coaching.

Let’s be honest, the man set fire to the bridge when he left - that takes time to rebuild. Him doing the Gator chomp at the Rose Bowl was a good start toward mending relations. Hey, maybe one day he’ll apologize for disparaging UF after he left - that would speed things up in my book.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ironhead1

ironhead1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hell no.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Criteria are set for a reason. There's many that lots of people say deserve it but won't. Tough but hold to criteria.

Same with Urbs. If he meets the criteria, get it done.

I believe Mullen is doing a lot to mend the wounded feelings. Pouncey Twins dropping videos from the Pro Bowl? Whodathunkit?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    He should be up there, and it will be prestigious for UF to have his name on the stadium along with the other Gator greats.

I know he left under less than ideal circumstances, but what exactly did he say/do that give so many heartburn (pun intended) over this? The guy looked horrible his last season here and I believe lost like 15/20 pounds so his health issues were legit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Does the criteria not include integrity? Something about letting a coach beat his wife without repercussions? On top of the lying that went along with the cover up after the fact? Is that who we want in the Ring of HONOR?

I think off the field issues should be a consideration.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    The most shocking part of that article is there are pro bowl tickets still available. Think there might be a few spots available in the game as well if anyone is interested :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. minnesotagator

minnesotagator Freshman

Nov 26, 2017
    Too far north
    I will be in the minority with you.

Brilliant football coach. No doubt. The way he does it by leaving programs in shambles because of the culture he creates in order to win at all costs is questionable.

He’s also a terrible human being who has no problem making downright less than honorable decisions off the field and has no problem lying on national television.

It’s only a matter of time before he’s inducted imo but I hope it’s several years down the road. The last few press conferences where he so blatantly lied about very serious off the field incidents still leave a very bitter taste in my mouth.

“Honor” is one of the last adjectives I would use when describing Urban.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    While I understand your sentiment, and I think those issues will and should always tarnish his legacy, I don't think that should keep Meyer out of the ring of honor, just like I don't think Joe Pa should have had his entire legacy erased at Penn State for what Sandusky did. I might feel differently if Meyer had beaten his own wife or done something illegal. Meyer is not the first coach to let some things slide for the sake of winning. I completely understand why you feel differently.

I do think they need to wait until he's completely retired to add him though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. 1975Gator

1975Gator Junior

Jan 5, 2012
    I believe that the honor in ring of honor refers to a person being honored or remembered or paying tribute to. Not that the person has honor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1