Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Elon Cleaning House

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Oct 27, 2022.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte

2. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    That it’s a private company isn’t particularly relevant. If a private company controlled 75% of electric power in this country we’d regulate the hell out of it then break it up.

Twitter will escape that fate because there are plent of other social media platform but govt oversight doesn’t typically consider a company’s corporate structure

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Of course it isn’t a monopoly. That’s the point. The fact that many on the right now want it regulated shows how little anything has to do with ideology.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Twitter is nowhere close to a monopoly. They can do whatever they want. People can complain and boycott but the government can’t do anything.

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Bezos doesn't force his agenda on Washington Post and requires accountability, not just revenue.. Big difference

6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    things are going so well. Not sure Musk knopws how to handle being told no. I guess SpaceZX and Tesla can put all their advertising on Twitter and yank it everywhere else.

Elon Musk Personally Called CEOs of Companies That Pulled Twitter Ads (businessinsider.com)

Elon Musk called up the chief executives of companies that pulled advertising spending from Twitter to complain, the Financial Times reported. A number of leading media buyers and advertising agencies say that almost all the major brands they act for have stopped ad spending on Twitter, the report said.

Musk took it upon himself to personally call CEOs to chastise them, one industry figure told the FT, but his actions have backfired, the newspaper reported.
    Four industry figures told the Financial Times that in recent weeks agencies have not little communication with Twitter's ads business team because so few staff were left following mass layoffs.

Twitter's ad systems have become bug-ridden, according to some media buyers, making it nearly impossible to launch campaigns. "It is quite unique. The turmoil, the damage, nothing of this magnitude has happened before. Never," a big four advertising agency executive told the FT.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    For the first time, I am worried how Elon is handling things. Here he directly challenges Apple, because they have reduced marketing spend with Twitter. The thing is, Elon is probably right, but this isn’t going to win Apple over and it’s a bad tactic. He should handle any grievances from advertisers on the back end, out of public view. I think the woke advertisers are getting to him.

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Yikes, well he has called his shot. Let’s see what happens next:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Geez, Musk sounds like a bad poster on a message board. "If you don't do what I think you should do, it means you hate free speech."

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Ah yes, we must somehow turn this into another tit-for-tat between posters here on Too Hot. Because we don’t have enough of that already.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hilarious calling out advertisers considering Tesla and other Elon companies don’t spend a dime on advertising. Maybe they hate free speech.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm talking about Musk. It was a shallow and stupid thing for him to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I agree with Elon, free speech is when you give me money, and I demand my free speech now

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Well, it’s not the same thing. If one company has been spending X to advertise on Twitter for years and all the sudden, they have stopped almost of all it, that’s different than a company who has never spent a dollar advertising with Twitter before.

That said, I don’t like Elon handling it this way. He doesn’t do much by mistake, so this could be a segue into building up an anti-Apple contingent and releasing a Tesla phone. Hard to believe Elon did this just to whine about Apple’s lack of advertising spend.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Fair enough. It looks like Musk may be doing this on purpose to create a public beef with Tim Cook, which he will parlay into a Tesla phone launch. With which he’ll synch with Twitter and claim the Twitter purchase ended up being a net winner for him based on his Tesla phone revenue.

I have been a user of Apple products for many years. But there is an opening for a competitor to come along here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I mean the next logical response from Musk’s followers is going to be “make the Tesla phone!!” and Elon knows that.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Free speech is less a description of a legal right and more an empty branding attempt by Musk. It means nothing.

18. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL! So Apple and other companies are beholden to advertising on Twitter if they don’t want to. Maybe Elon should put out a better product for them to advertise.
    He doesn’t do anything by mistake? - there are 44 billion examples.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    LOL no one is going to want a Tesla phone unless they want a phone that catches on fire for no reason.

20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Maybe Apple doesn't want its ads to pop up next to some hate filled tweet inciting violence or maybe Twitter teams have collapsed to the point that injecting new advertising is difficult if not impossible. This thing doesn't run on remote control. It has no autopilot setting, although I fear that AI will become the autopilot soon.

• Like Like x 1